Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can’t believe with all these trucks made that nobody makes a driver’s side tow hook. 2 predrilled tapped bolt hopes ready to go. Shouldn’t have to reverse mount the ps hook or overpay for a Navara hook.
The bolt holes are anout 3.5” apart. Has anyone found a hook/shackle that fits?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
There are some brackets out there somewhere and if you want to pay $80 - $100 you can order from overseas.

Someone will chime in with that info..

·
Registered
429 Posts
Buy some 3/8 angle iron, drill out two holes, and then use a grinder to take out a bigger hole on the attachment side.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, at least there's a tow hook....Neighbor asked me to bring my truck over to get another neighbor's 2020 Tahoe unstuck after it got into some deep snow just off his driveway.

Dug and dug around the front of that vehicle and guess what? No tow hook! Really GM?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Well, at least there's a tow hook....Neighbor asked me to bring my truck over to get another neighbor's 2020 Tahoe unstuck after it got into some deep snow just off his driveway.

Dug and dug around the front of that vehicle and guess what? No tow hook! Really GM?
That’s pitiful.. I’ve owned multiple Silverado’s and everyone of them had two up front. Shame their all going cheap but keep upping the price..

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Buy some 3/8 angle iron, drill out two holes, and then use a grinder to take out a bigger hole on the attachment side.
That’s actually not a bad idea.. if you just want to ad D-Rings which I was thinking of doing.
I know the material is strong.. would it be un-breakable as a recovery material..aggressively!
Just a length doable to get a D-ring mounted... say 5-6” ?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Perhaps someone can get to trying this before I can, but 3.5" on center is vaguely what I remember Ford F-150 tow hooks as being.

The F-150 hooks might fit, but they will probably require trimming/removal of the lower chin skirt/air dam and/or trimming of the bumper itself. The F-150's tow hooks go pretty much straight from the frame, whereas the Frontier's tow hooks have a 3" or so drop to clear the bumper cover.

I have a set of F-150 tow hooks somewhere that I pulled off a friend's truck when he cut off his frame horns to weld on a tube bumper. I'll see if I can find them.

OEM Nissan Navara left-side tow hook (pic from PRO4-NTX Frame Mounted Front Tow Hook Options plus One New Design ) and some Amazon F-150 tow hooks.
a2748580-4632-40a8-9322-383c21c1c261.jpg towhook.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just used 2 passenger side hooks. Had to trim the radiator skid slightly. I considered buying the driver's side hook from overseas, but for the cost it would be better to put that money towards proper recovery points, like Habitat Offroad's.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Can’t believe with all these trucks made that nobody makes a driver’s side tow hook. 2 predrilled tapped bolt hopes ready to go. Shouldn’t have to reverse mount the ps hook or overpay for a Navara hook.
The bolt holes are anout 3.5” apart. Has anyone found a hook/shackle that fits?
I used a 'universal' flat recovery hook for a while... IIRC the holes were in teh right place. a 'Jeep' universal (hangs down vertically) off a TJ could work too. but if you need ot for anything more than a gentle pull I'd get something like the Habitat Offroad units or homebrew a piece of 3/8 to 1/2" piece of angle iron and a cutoff wheel to shape. P&P Engineering used to sell a same thing for teh front.
The issue with the stock hook when pulling hard is you're pulling in shear, but also pulling at an angle. thats a lot of force on those bolts, and on the frame isolated to 2 small points, with most of that force focused on teh rear bolt as the strap, when the momentary force is applied, will be sitting at the bottom of the hook. A better design is like the hooks on a F150 (flat hook bolted flat to the frame, and pulling only in shear) and best is the Habitat bracket (uses 3 frame bolt points) and resists rotational forces much better.
Or you could bolt up a reciever hitch in teh front and spread teh load across 4 points instead of 2. Also could be used for a light duty plow...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts