Nissan Frontier Forum banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 2022 Frontier in April. I have the same problem with the seat. Today was the worst recline that I have had. I got out of the truck, went into the house for less than a minute and when I got back in the seat had reclined like I was getting ready to drive through the hood to impress the girls. You know that when the seat reclines you can hear the motor when it is activated. I have never heard the motor switch on when getting in and out. I fairly average size at 5'8", 160lbs. It also seems to happen sometimes when I am driving as I am constantly adjusting the seat forward. Thought it was my imagination but then realized I was always adjusting forward. The accumulative adjustments should have had my chin on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
346 Posts
This also seems to be happening to me with increasing frequency. It's getting pretty annoying. I am absolutely not rubbing the switch getting in or out of the vehicle. Think I might try mounting my old cellphone in there this weekend overnight and just let it record. It's gotta be randomly motoring backwards a few mm or something for who knows what reason. If it's not we're all collectively going insane apparently.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier 4x4 SV Crew Cab, Short Bed, FJB Edition
41 Posts
I know people have posted that 'heavier' drivers may be sliding in and out of their Frontiers in a way their legs may be hitting the seat controls, causing the seatback to recline, but that doesn't explain why, on longer drives, the seatback slowly starts reclining requiring me to adjust it.

This is the first truck I've had to 'be careful' on the way I get in and out of. This is plain wrong and Nissan needs to do something to fix the problem. Some owners have posted that they unplug the power to the seat once they set it set to that perfect position, but that doesn't work if your wife needs to borrow the truck to pick up 'flowers' at the nursery.

If the simple fix is for Nissan to put an 'on/off' toggle switch near the controls but in an area where my 'fat ***' won't turn it 'on or off', that's fine with me, but the bottom line is Nissan needs to fix the problem.

Does anyone know the best way to contact Nissan? I've mention it to my dealer, and I even given them the link to this thread, but here I am, bitchin about a problem that they need to fix.

Reactions: ghammer

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
911 Posts
Late to the party, but In my opinion. It sounds like you all are having energy being sent to the seat when the truck is off (in security mode). My recommendation is to get a professional to check and see if the battery's energy is discharging in spec for just the necessary features. The seat control module likely is getting too little power, or too much I believe it should be completely off(?) That would cause a weird reaction from the seats.

That or the gearing for motor for the seat recline feature is actually too weak to hold the seat in place against gravity when powered off. (and is wearing out over time)

·
Registered
2020 SV 4x4
369 Posts
This is from the 2022 owners manual page 1-5:
"The reclining feature allows adjustment of the seatback for occupants of different sizes for added comfort and to help obtain proper seat belt fit. For additional information, see “Precautions on seat belt usage” (P. 1-15). Also, the seatback can be reclined to allow occupants to rest when the vehicle is stopped and the shift lever is in P (Park) or N (Neutral) position with the parking brake fully applied."
So while in position D and no parking brake does the seat have a limit how far back it goes? I wonder if it could be limit sensors in the seat(?) that haven't been programmed properly(?) and the seat feels the need to move because the sensor is "confusing" it regardless of the actual button setting?
I'm going way out there now but it does seem odd they state very specific conditions, P or N and parking brake before it will recline "to allow occupants to rest". Everything has tons of sensors now, it wouldn't shock me some sort of shenanigan's are happening. I'd go out and do some testing if I had one.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Bought my truck in Jan. Took me a couple of weeks to get the seat just like I wanted it. Haven't touched it since, and it is exactly where I set it 7 months ago.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is from the 2022 owners manual page 1-5:
"The reclining feature allows adjustment of the seatback for occupants of different sizes for added comfort and to help obtain proper seat belt fit. For additional information, see “Precautions on seat belt usage” (P. 1-15). Also, the seatback can be reclined to allow occupants to rest when the vehicle is stopped and the shift lever is in P (Park) or N (Neutral) position with the parking brake fully applied."
So while in position D and no parking brake does the seat have a limit how far back it goes? I wonder if it could be limit sensors in the seat(?) that haven't been programmed properly(?) and the seat feels the need to move because the sensor is "confusing" it regardless of the actual button setting?
I'm going way out there now but it does seem odd they state very specific conditions, P or N and parking brake before it will recline "to allow occupants to rest". Everything has tons of sensors now, it wouldn't shock me some sort of shenanigan's are happening. I'd go out and do some testing if I had one.
The problem with the setback isn't getting it to tilt back or adjust it back, the problem is that many of us get into our new '22 Frontiers and get the seat and seatback adjustments made so we are comfortable. Sometimes while driving, the seatback slowly starts reclining backwards requiring the seatback to be adjusted again. The main complaint is for many, if not all of us, find the the seatback tilted back the next time we get into the truck after letting it sit for a while.

It appears that the 'seatback control' is being hit by the back of our legs causing the seat to tilt back. If you take special care when getting in or out of your Frontier, you usually won't find the seatback tilted. Some people have got their seat adjustments set the way they want then carefully get out of the truck, and unplug the power to the seat. It retains the settings because it has no power. You shouldn't have to do that. For me, this is the first vehicle I've ever owned that did this and Nissan has to fix it.

Reactions: Joe Stocks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Myself, and I believe many other on this thread are 100% certain I (we) are not hitting the control when getting in/out of the truck. As one member said you can even experience the reclining seat when on a long drive. I have experienced that myself. It boils down to nothing more than a nuisance, but with the price we all paid for these trucks that nuisance shouldn't exist.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Same issue, 2022 SV, 150 miles on it. Have the issue every morning when I get in
Thought: Leave seat moved AND leaned forward... if it goes further in that direction then gravity. If it manages to overcome gravity to actually recline, then it implies power was applied in error.

This would require exiting truck thus and eliminating the butt variable.

·
Registered
458 Posts
So I assume those with this particular issue have informed NISSAN directly? Not the dealership? The dealership may or may not inform Nissan about it. It is the consumers responsibility to contact Nissan Corporate (phone, email, certified mail) to advise them of the issue so Nissan could open a formal complaint investigation. I'm sure if there are enough complaints, a fix would be made, especially if "safety" could somehow be tied into the complaints?? Make sure to document your complaint and keep a log or records of your actions as this not only shows Nissan YOU ARE serious about your complaint and that if a fix is not done in a timely manner, lemon law procedures could take place. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The problem with the seat back tilting back doesn't happen 100% of the time. There have been times I've gotten into my Frontier and got both the seat and the seat back to the 'prefect' position, and the seat back slowly tilted back while driving, other times, doesn't move.

There have been times I've gotten both the seat and the seat back to the 'prefect' position, drove the truck, and got out, but when I got into it minutes, hours, or days later, the seat back is tilted back so it isn't in the same position it was in when I got out.

The problem with both scenarios is it doesn't happen 100% of the time, for me anyways. I don't know if my fat *** is hitting the seat back controls when I get in or out of my Frontier, but if it is, it doesn't explain the slow movement when driving (my *** isn't that bid to reach the control while driving). Best solution would to be put a 'power' switch near the seat controls that can turn the power off once you get the the seat positions in that perfect setting.

Emailed everyone at my dealership (GM down to the Service Manager) about the problem, and included details of the problem I'm having, along with a link to this thread after calling Nissan Customer Support. They said all requests need to go through the dealer.

• Helpful
Reactions: GreyFox

·
Registered
41 Posts
So I assume those with this particular issue have informed NISSAN directly? Not the dealership? The dealership may or may not inform Nissan about it. It is the consumers responsibility to contact Nissan Corporate (phone, email, certified mail) to advise them of the issue so Nissan could open a formal complaint investigation. I'm sure if there are enough complaints, a fix would be made, especially if "safety" could somehow be tied into the complaints?? Make sure to document your complaint and keep a log or records of your actions as this not only shows Nissan YOU ARE serious about your complaint and that if a fix is not done in a timely manner, lemon law procedures could take place. Just my two cents.
I called Nissan about the problem and they opened a 'ticket' but said all problems need to be reported to the dealer. I emailed multiple people at my dealership (GM down to the Service Manager) and supplied in my email, the 'Nissan ticket number', a detailed history of the problem, and a link to this thread. I'm waiting until Friday to start calling them (a week after sending the email) to see what, if anything they've done to research the problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: GreyFox

·
Registered
458 Posts
I called Nissan about the problem and they opened a 'ticket' but said all problems need to be reported to the dealer. I emailed multiple people at my dealership (GM down to the Service Manager) and supplied in my email, the 'Nissan ticket number', a detailed history of the problem, and a link to this thread. I'm waiting until Friday to start calling them (a week after sending the email) to see what, if anything they've done to research the problem.
Definitely follow up with the dealership and if they do not have an answer, I would contact Nissan Corporate back and advise them of the lack of resolution. I'm sorry you are having this issue. Obviously you are not the only one. Others here need to do the same. Maybe try NHTSA as well? I would think a seat moving while in transit is a "safety issue"??

Please keep us posted on your progress as I'm sure others will benefit from your posts too (y)
Good luck.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts