Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, hoping someone can give some suggestions on an issue that happened today. I was driving in town, came to a stop and when I took off the truck bucked a few times and would only sort of hop forward, making some nice crunchy sounds. Not good! Interesting enough, it seems to drive in reverse without any problem. Also goes into four wheel drive, but same drive issues. No warning lights or visible issues. The truck is a 2010 frontier pro 4x crew cab, automatic. Recent (about a month ago) routine work on truck included brake pads and turned rotors, new shocks (bilstien) all around, new, larger 17" wheels and tires.

I'm assuming it's something drive train related, but I'm no mechanic. Since kind of interesting that it will do reverse, but no forward.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it were my truck I would try and pin point the problem a little closer,
Is the sound coming from the rear axle, front axle, transfer case, transmission.
Jack up the back of the truck and spin the wheels (by hand) . Do the same with the front end.
Past that , I really don't have any more advice for you without more information.
Keep us posted, I , for one, am interested in what the problem and the cure might be.
Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand. It is lacking in detail. That's mostly because when it broke down I had it towed to a garage. They won't open until Monday morning.

one additional detail I did come up with was how the "crunchiness" sounded. It was definitely spinning and coming around as the truck moved forward, which made me think that it was some gearing in the differential, but I really don't know.

I'm going to stop by the garage first thing tomorrow and see what I can find out and I'll make a post with the fact and findings and just how big a boat my mechanic is going to be able to buy with the repair bill.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, i'm glad i put the question mark in the post title. heard back from the garage today. seems that the student mechanics from a local career center i had work on the truck did not reattach the front calipers after installing new pads and turning the rotars. The right front caliper finally found its way into a spot that created the crunching sounds and all of the other odd issues.

Good news is that the drive train components are all good (good for a truck with 103k on it), so other than a few nuts and bolts, some towing expense and a bit of labor, including having all of the other things the students did double-checked, I'm good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts