Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drive shaft bearing is gone!!! WTF... How did that happen??Lol.. Any1 else replace theirs with a better 1?? Is there a recall on this or somthin??

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
yea, they go bad. mine went really bad when i was sas'd and 2wd.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will get apic of it when I go
over to where it's being fixed at. I'm kinda far from it now

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i don't need a pic. just look under it and you will see if it is a one peice or a two peice. if it looks similar to my old one in the picture i posted, its toast. the rubber grommet can go bad, and then its done.

·
Registered
104 Posts
hey is the rear lifted?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
on mine? yes, i was running the stock 2wd drivetrain with a bunch of lift. it didn't work out well.
the bearing can still take a dump on a stock truck though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
well i have 8 up front and 3 inch in the rear and ive been offroad and the bearing was beryl hanging on. The stealership told me i needed a spacer for the shaft so that the new bearing they were gonna install wouldn't come off or brake...i talk to greg a lot and he said the drop braket should do it with no extension for the shaft. so maybe you should go with the drop bracket. im getting mine installed by greg at PRG this friday...oh yea idk about frontiers but my 2wd Titan has a 2 piece shaft.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i'm pretty sure he is talking about the rear, and it sounds like you are talking about the front.

·
Registered
104 Posts
well im talking about the rear cause the stealership told me the rear cause the bearing to brake idk which one they change cause they did it for free so didnt bother to ask which one they were changing since they know i go offroad they still cover my parts...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yaaa thats it.. It's 4x4 so I think it's 2?
98-00 have 2-piece rear driveshafts with a center bearing.
01-04 have 1-piece (king and crew short bed) or 2-piece (crew long bed).

The bearings are a wear item, usually between $150-200. They can be replaced in the driveway if you have a large enough socket to get the yoke off and a bench vise to press the u-joint caps.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts

The bearings are a wear item, usually between $150-200. They can be replaced in the driveway if you have a large enough socket to get the yoke off and a bench vise to press the u-joint caps.

That's a bit wrong... my 04 has a 2 piece drive shaft.... and im a king cab... though i can't think why nissan would do a 2 piece drive shaft on this small of a truck....

·
Registered
556 Posts
That's a bit wrong... my 04 has a 2 piece drive shaft.... and im a king cab... though i can't think why nissan would do a 2 piece drive shaft on this small of a truck....
Not wrong, incomplete. I am talking about the 4x4/V6 D22U trucks.

The reason there are multiple driveshaft pieces has to do with vibrations and harmonic theory. The longer the distance is between two fixed supports the larger the tendency to develop whip in the spinning driveshaft. In a perfect world there would be perfect balance on the shaft. But this is the real world and nothing is perfect. On RWD car this is easier to manage because the travel less and driveline angle is shallower. On a truck there are more complications.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My truck is a 4 banger.. But it's the center carrier bearing my bad.. But yaa it's defintly going to be replaced cuz there's no bearing anymore..thanks every1

·
Registered
156 Posts

My 03 2WD CC SB also has a 2-piece driveshaft.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My 03 2WD CC SB also has a 2-piece driveshaft.
Jesus do I need to spell out every single truck!

Yeah my DR used to have a 2-piece as well since it was a 2wd on the same exact chassis as yours. Converted it to 4x4 and put a custom one-piece in it.

One-piece shafts were stock on 01-04 4x4 King/SB Crew. Darn near everything else was a 2-piece. I guess I should have said it that way to begin with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts