Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Frontier 4x4 auto 4.0 V6 56,000 miles. Today changed (or almost) transmission, transfer case and differential fluids. Wanted to change filter in transmission but Advance auto said my truck had a "permanent" filter that you do a drain and fill in or you can drop the pan and remove and clean the filter. I opted for the drain and fill. Drained 4 and 3/4 quarts and replaced with Castrol ATF (claims compatible). The drained fluid had a brownish tint (may opt to do another drain and fill after another 10k or so). Drained 2.0 quarts from transfer case and replaced with same Castrol ATF. The fluid from the transfer case looked grayish. Front differntial drained one quart and replaced with standard Valvoline 75/90. Still waiting for the rear end as I did not have the correct hex socket to remove the filler plug. A 9/16 bolt head fit in the bolt recess, so I will attempt to find correct socket tomorrow. I am replacing rear end with Valvoline synthetic 90/140. So far, the job seems simple enough, but the test drive after finishing up will be the deciding factor. Input is always appreciated...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
tranny fluid a little brown? did you do any towing or heavy hauling? otherwise thanks for the capacity info, i'm about 62000 miles and i'm gonna have to do all the same you've done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just recently did an eight thousand mile trip with several moderate/heavy off road jaunts. No towing or heavy hauling and I purchased truck new. I was surprised at the brownish tint and VERY surprised about the grayish color to the transfer case fluid.

The 3/8 ratchet fits in the drain plug, but it does not fit in the recessed hex filler plug. I read that someone said the bolt is a recessed 14mm hex, but a 9/16 bolt head fit perfectly in the recess.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Could be initial break-in wear, after all, thats what breaking it in is, slightly breaking it :)

Like with many ATV's and PROBABLY car manufacturers suggest is to change vital fluids after break-in.

Just a thought? hmmm... good topic!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I've been readin' the boards re:trans. fluid... there's somethin' about Nissan's "J" and now "S" fluid being made by Castrol with a Nissan specific additive, but only available "over the counter" in Japan/Europe; for U.S guys it's only available directly from Nissan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like the fliud doesnt last very long i thought it had a WS type of fliud that never really has to be changed when i bought mine, but found out that it was 30k fluid, guess toyota is the only one with that type of fliud. Mine has about 62000 so im just going to flush mine at work when i can afford the fluid. Fliud is about $120 retail for 12 qts of nissan matic j but i will get it at cost working at a toyota.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went to Sears today and purchased a 14 mm hex socket for the filler plug and changed rear end fluid on my 2006 Frontier 4x4. Used ALMOST 2 quarts of the Valvoline synthetic 90/140. My 2000 Frontier 4x4 filler plug just uses a 1/2 drive ratchet to remove.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Yea, the hex drives are a little annoying. The really annoying part is when Nissan uses different size hex and sockets for all their plugs between the diffs, trans, xfer, etc...

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
A question about the diff. I'm about to do a diff change but debating whether to remove the
diff cover or just a drain-and-fill. It's got 13,500 miles. Did you guys see any metal chips and debris after removing the cover that looked like wouldn't have drained through the drain plug?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am at 27,000 miles on my 06 Frontier. Noticed recently on my way to work that it had not yet shifted into overdrive but it definately should have by that point. I checked the tranny fluid and noticed that it was brown. Took it into the dealer and had them check it out and check for coolant in the tranny fluid. They ran diagnostics and said everything was good and there was nothing unusual about the color of the fluid. WTF? I guess I will just have to start draining and refilling the tranny every 15K as someone on here suggested.

·
Super Moderator
19,572 Posts
A question about the diff. I'm about to do a diff change but debating whether to remove the
diff cover or just a drain-and-fill. It's got 13,500 miles. Did you guys see any metal chips and debris after removing the cover that looked like wouldn't have drained through the drain plug?
No need to remove the cover. The fill plug is 14MM and the drain plug is 10MM. I did have metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug when I did my first drain and refill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts