Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Nismo Frontier
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the dreaded P1446 evap code since I purchased my 2005 Nismo Frontier. Its the only code that comes up and I usually just reset it with my scanner but I'm having a problem filling up with gas as well and it's extremely annoying. I can get about 2 gallons in before it clicks and I have to wait a few seconds before I can keep going. I've checked the lines for obstructions and the valves seem to be working ok. Could it be the canister itself? I just don't want to spend the money if that's not what it is, seems to be a thing with this code:(
Anyone figure this out?

edit: don't worry, I searched. It's mostly old threads with the same basic info and no clear answer.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Some folks have had luck removing the canister from the vehicle and banging it on the ground to loosen the charcoal inside. If that truly works, banging it with a mallet while it's still installed should work equally well.

·
Registered
516 Posts
My truck is a 2013 and while I have never gotten any codes, it intermittently would not want to fill, and would actually spill over the side. I initially contacted Nissan but they couldn’t replicate it and so I eventually got them to replace the EVAP hose that is under a bulletin but that didn’t do anything, and then my truck was out of its warranty so I was SOL.
I then replaced the canister and canister solenoid and I initially thought it hadn’t changed anything but since replacing that I have not had it spill gas out my truck anymore. Still every once in a while will click but I can start filling again right away with no problem.

·
Registered
2005 Nismo Frontier
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, looks like I'll start with replacing the canister/solenoid.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
P1446 is a code for the vent control valve being closed, which makes sense if you are having problems with filling the tank. The vent control valve, which is the one connected to the canister and will have a hose on it that goes to a filter, is normally open except when the ECM is self-testing the system, in which case it will close the vent valve and apply vacuum to the system, which is measured by the evap pressure sensor. So, you likely problem is a stuck closed or sticking vent control valve or possibly a clog in the hose attached to it. When the canister liner fails and sends carbon into the system, it will usually cause the vent valve to stick open and not closed. Sometimes the canister will fill up with dirt, but that also usually occurs when the vent valve is stuck open and usually involves a lot of driving in very dusty conditions or in mud. You can component test the valve by taking it off and seeing if you can blow through it. If you can't, it's stuck closed and needs to be replaced. You can also check the operation by directly applying 12v and ground to the appropriate terminals; apply the 12v to the correct pin and pulse the ground terminal to activate and deactivate the vent control valve. With voltage and ground connected, you should NOT be able to blow through it, as the valve should be closed. Once you disconnect either power or ground, you should be able to blow through it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's really easy to just clean the valve. You just twist it off if you have small hands and is located on top of the EVAP canister. You can test by attaching a battery to the terminals. Check to see if that's your problem. If its stuck closed, it won't vent and that may cause gas to spill out.

·
Registered
2005 Nismo Frontier
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found an old post about the Dorman 911-503 vapor canister purge valve going bad causing the same symptoms. I assume that's the same thing you guys' are talking about? I'll take it apart and test it in a few days and see if I can't find the problem.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
Why do the job more than once, why not just replace the part?

Clint

·
Registered
2005 Nismo Frontier
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why do the job more than once, why not just replace the part?

Clint
The dealership has the valve in stock for $40.. thought it'd be more but at that price I'll just replace it instead of risking the part failing again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I found an old post about the Dorman 911-503 vapor canister purge valve going bad causing the same symptoms. I assume that's the same thing you guys' are talking about? I'll take it apart and test it in a few days and see if I can't find the problem.

Thanks!
Yes, that's the same part, but it's technically a vent control valve, not a "purge" valve, which is up by the intake manifold. That was also the older design of the valve. Nissan later updated the valve, giving it a more powerful actuator to better seal the valve. You can tell the difference because the updated valve has a big, metal block incorporated into it.

·
Registered
2005 Nismo Frontier
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^It was tricky getting the valve out of the canister but got them swapped out earlier today and filled up no problem. Looking into the valve you can see how the new design is definitely better quality so just replace the $40 valve for anyone else out there with this problem. Shouldn't have any issues now. Thanks guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts