Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Nissan Frontier XE King 2WD 4 Cyl.
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Im currently running 15x10 pro comp wheels with 31x10.5 BFG A/T's, and the combo is very stiff and uncomfortable. Basically like low profile wheels, as the sidewalls are stretched tight. I want to keep the same tire size width/diameter on the truck, and Im going to downsize rims to 15x8. Will that 2 inch reduction in rim width make a significant difference in ride quality? (Ive already configured my t bars and bump stops have an inch of space, so Im certain the wheels are my problem). Did the online search. Couldn't find anything definitive as to how much of a change in rim or tire width/diameter to make a softer ride (only the general rule that fatter, uglier tires are more comfy). Anyone have similar experience or seen much of a difference with similar wheel/tire combo upgrades?

Thanks in advance!

IMG-3475
IMG-3472

Attachments

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
How much of that lift is the body? If your torsion bars are cranked up to almost max it’s going to be a rough ride, your front shocks could be over extending when rebounding from hitting bumps and dips. Im not an expert on wheels and tires but I’ve had my share. I doubt that tire and wheel combo is the problem, although I’m sure you have adjusted the inflation but have you tried lowering the pressure a bit just to feel any difference? You got a sharp looking truck there btw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MiniDuti! The body lift is 3". Ive adjusted the t bars lower and deflated the tires. The T bars are about 2-2.5 inches, almost maxed, but still Im comfortable with where they are. Deflating the tires to around 30 psi seemed to help a bit too. I was running the same tires on the stock rims and they weren't nearly as bad as when i upgraded to 15x10 wheels. Ive got the AC 3" suspension kit with shackles, but did not install the t bars that came with. Would installing those be worth it? (not comfortable doing that myself). I looked into shocks as well. Seems like the Rancho RS5000 are the only ones that are specific to our trucks with the suspension lift. I emailed Bilstein just to explore my options, and the gave me a list of custom applications to look over. Idk exactly what specs I would need for the shock yet, haven't looked into it, but I will swap them if I can find ones that fit the application. Maybe Ill try installing ball joint spacers and back off the t bars a little. Im gearing up to travel cross country with the truck in 6 weeks, so I want to make it as comfy of a ride as possible.

Thanks for the replies 😁

·
Registered
181 Posts
Width will have little if any change in ride quality. Getting ride of the b f Goodrich tires, which are 10 ply, will make a tremendous improvement.
Tire height has an impact on ride quality. My son changed the 17 inch rims on his ram for 20 inch wheels. All he does is complain about the ride. The outside diameter of his tires is exactly the same as the 17s, but the sidewall height of the 20s are shorter, hence a stiffer ride.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Width will have little if any change in ride quality. Getting ride of the b f Goodrich tires, which are 10 ply, will make a tremendous improvement.
Tire height has an impact on ride quality. My son changed the 17 inch rims on his ram for 20 inch wheels. All he does is complain about the ride. The outside diameter of his tires is exactly the same as the 17s, but the sidewall height of the 20s are shorter, hence a stiffer ride.
Downsizing from a 15x10 to 15x8 should help as well because the tire won't be stretched onto the 10" wide rim. Going down to an 8" wide rim should help with more tire wall flex.

Reactions: Boscheedog

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Zogg and silver. Thats what Im thinking too silver, the smaller rim size will allow more cushion. Any recommendations on A/T tires? I like the BFGs, and I need the off-road benefits that the A/Ts provide. According to a few tire sites, the BFGs Im running are 6-ply, C load rating.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks Zogg and silver. Thats what Im thinking too silver, the smaller rim size will allow more cushion. Any recommendations on A/T tires? I like the BFGs, and I need the off-road benefits that the A/Ts provide. According to a few tire sites, the BFGs Im running are 6-ply, C load rating.
I just checked my BFG and they are 6 ply. I am running 245/75/R16 (30 1/2" x 9 1/2") on the OEM wheels. I cranked my torsion bars and ride is a bit rougher on bumps but that is about it. On pavement, my tire pressure is, as per the sticker in the glove box, 35psi. I lower my tire pressure to 20-25psi on gravel and forest roads. That made a huge difference on confort. Are you having issue on pavement as well? What pressure are you running?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Spyke. I deflated to 30 psi and that helped some. I looked at BFG's website and they recommend a 7-9 inch wide wheel for a 31x10.5 tire. Ive also been browsing other forums and there's a bunch of people out there running a 15x8 with 31x10.5 setup on their trucks with no issues.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I know when I cranked up the T-bars on my 02 Ram it felt really rough. I can not remember why I decided to change out the shocks “did not realize that 2-3” boost over-extended them” but when I did it took care of the harsh thumping sounds and feel of them over extending. If you do get new ones make sure their at least the added length of the suspension lift and or the T-bar lift.

Did you have to crank the Tbars a little more for clearance when you put the 10” wheel on? Be nice if you had some old wheels and tires laying around to try..I just don’t think the tires alone are causing the problem.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I unfortunately will never get what people mean when they say their trucks ride harsh or stiff since I come from the modified vehicle world where stretched low profile tires on racing coilovers is an everyday norm. I can possibly get into the most harsh stiff truck and still find it rides like I'm on a cloud. I get the concept and what you all mean though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know when I cranked up the T-bars on my 02 Ram it felt really rough. I can not remember why I decided to change out the shocks “did not realize that 2-3” boost over-extended them” but when I did it took care of the harsh thumping sounds and feel of them over extending. If you do get new ones make sure their at least the added length of the suspension lift and or the T-bar lift.

Did you have to crank the Tbars a little more for clearance when you put the 10” wheel on? Be nice if you had some old wheels and tires laying around to try..I just don’t think the tires alone are causing the problem.
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Yes I cranked them to add more space for the tires. Next week Im going to see about fitting some new shocks.

I unfortunately will never get what people mean when they say their trucks ride harsh or stiff since I come from the modified vehicle world where stretched low profile tires on racing coilovers is an everyday norm. I can possibly get into the most harsh stiff truck and still find it rides like I'm on a cloud. I get the concept and what you all mean though.
I mean... Its not that harsh of a ride, but I think it definitely can be improved. Ill keep you guys posted 🤙

1 - 11 of 11 Posts