Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
That's right they're no caps for the spares. I was thinking of the regular steelies that came on the S trims totally different. 16's are from Fumagalli

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Either way I'm not especially concerned. Worst case if there's no option for some kind of hubcap or center cap I'll paint the ends of the hub assemblies before I install the wheels.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Here's what I found for the weight of the wheels:
oem 16x7 spare steel wheel: 12.97 kg / 28.6 lbs
oem 16x7 pro-4x alloy wheel: 11.78 kg / 26 lbs

Reactions: The other Sean

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Here's what I found for the weight of the wheels:
oem spare steel wheel: 12.97 kg / 28.6 lbs
oem pro-4x alloy wheel: 11.78 kg / 26 lbs
Where'd you find the information? The Pathfinder '08-12 had this wheel as a spare, so it might be available looking up that model, or the '07-'08 Frontier, or I think t was like the '07-15 Xterra for certain trim packages.

What surprised me was that the '12 "Sport" models didn't get the bigger spare.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Reactions: TWX

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Not sure how accurate that is.

I had found 40300ZP57A as the part number for the 17x7.5 steel wheel, but they're calling it an aluminum wheel. On the other hand they call it 15.48kg, which is just over 34lb, which would make sense since there's more metal than on a 16" wheel.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well one of the new wheels arrived today, but they said they'd send me a tracking number but that was never sent. ?

I'll probably need to paint the one wheel that I already had, it's more dull than the one that arrived. Probably need to paint with a high-temp gloss black. We'll see.

I'm leaning towards BFG KO2 tires in 285/70/17 Load Range C. Tire is 51lb, a buddy of mine has been running original KOs for many years around here on the rocks without ever tearing out a sidewall, and I've seen similar comments from others on both the KO and the KO2. In contrast I've seen several complaints about Duratracs and their sidewalls.

Will probably go raised white letter to mitigate the black wheels. Haven't decided what lugnuts, stock chrome acorns might look good enough though.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Got two of the three in, third on that original order arriving tomorrow. Contacted the refurb/warehouse company, they got another in, so I've gone ahead and ordered a fourth wheel, so I'll have four with the same refurb-job and thus the same finish.

Also made up my mind on tires. I'd been looking at 255/75/17s as a candidate and on a lark plugged that into Craigslist. Someone had three new tires for sale for $325.

Seller had apparently tried these on a truck with an OME lift and other modifications, I gather it rubbed. I was even offered the Crew Cab Longbed discount, got 'em for $300. The residue from the stickers on the treads is still present. I need to get at least one more, probably realistically more like two more.

Due to some problems with my '95 Impala SS I need to put an order in for some parts, I'm going to get some rubber valvestem TPMS and I'm also thinking about ordering the parts for the Pathfinder V8 12.6" brakes, which require 17" wheels to clear. Probably going to take the wheels and tires over to one of the local high schools where I'm acquainted with the auto shop teacher, get 'em mounted and balanced. If that doesn't work out I'll go to one of those independent tire shops and have it done.

I'm also mulling getting the beefier springs for the Pathfinder V8, Rockauto has a part number on the V8 offering that's different than the V6 model. I still need to go verify that it's actually not the same spring as the crew cab longbed first though. Give me just a little more lift, keep all OE parts.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Got two of the three in, third on that original order arriving tomorrow. Contacted the refurb/warehouse company, they got another in, so I've gone ahead and ordered a fourth wheel, so I'll have four with the same refurb-job and thus the same finish.

Also made up my mind on tires. I'd been looking at 255/75/17s as a candidate and on a lark plugged that into Craigslist. Someone had three new tires for sale for $325.

Seller had apparently tried these on a truck with an OME lift and other modifications, I gather it rubbed. I was even offered the Crew Cab Longbed discount, got 'em for $300. The residue from the stickers on the treads is still present. I need to get at least one more, probably realistically more like two more.

Due to some problems with my '95 Impala SS I need to put an order in for some parts, I'm going to get some rubber valvestem TPMS and I'm also thinking about ordering the parts for the Pathfinder V8 12.6" brakes, which require 17" wheels to clear. Probably going to take the wheels and tires over to one of the local high schools where I'm acquainted with the auto shop teacher, get 'em mounted and balanced. If that doesn't work out I'll go to one of those independent tire shops and have it done.

I'm also mulling getting the beefier springs for the Pathfinder V8, Rockauto has a part number on the V8 offering that's different than the V6 model. I still need to go verify that it's actually not the same spring as the crew cab longbed first though. Give me just a little more lift, keep all OE parts.
Nice score! Post some pics when everything is completed.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So the center bore on these 17" steel wheels is supposedly 66.1mm, basically 2.6 inches. I have had zero luck find a push-through center cap, and I don't think that most alloy-type pop-in center caps would fit either.

The one thing I have found that may work is a spindle/hub grease cap. Unfortunately the only ones I can find that are 66mm are from AL-KO, and even then, seemingly only for their european products, and they have "AL-KO" stamped in the face. There's a Dorman part that's close at 64mm, but even if I found a way to tweak it to fit, not sure how well it would stay in.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I may look into those. Only major downside, not sure if there's something for the clips to actually clip onto. The AL-KO grease caps are meant to friction-fit into a hub, they don't need to clip into anything. Also not sure if the hub center will clear either one. Probably won't actually buy anything until I have the wheels and tires on the truck.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well, probably final update before I can actually work, two remaining tires will arrive tomorrow. TPMS and some unrelated parts for my Impala arrive Friday, and my final steel wheel arrives Tuesday next week.

The high school I'd probably have do the mounting and balancing will be closed for spring break so I'll probably take 'em to a tire shop. I had considered buying some brake spoons and trying to mount 'em myself (they are "SL" load rating so shouldn't be too horrible) but balancing would be an issue and as much as I'm tempted to try balance beads, probably not this time around. I may still buy the spoons and do the spare (ie, the one without TPMS) just to get some practice if I ever have to do one in the boonies, but probably easier to let a tire shop do it.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
So I changed my mind, I painted up the original matte-finish spare and went to the tire shop with four wheels and tires, plus sensors.

I doublechecked my measurements, truck is now sitting approximately 3/4 inch higher than it was before. It seems like it's ever so slightly that might higher in front than it is in the back, maybe more like 7/8 in front and 3/4 in back.

The steel wheels conduct more of the road into the vehicle, but the tires feel like they're much smoother over the rough stuff. Don't feel every individual bump, pothole, or expansion joint so much.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yes, pics.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So obviously this was what it looked like before:

And this is what it looks like now:

It fills-out the wheel wells just a bit nicer:

I have not yet really put it through its paces to see if I need to do any fender trimming or not. Tire size is basically 32.1". Speedometer checked briefly with GPS on my phone seemed accurate, but I hadn't done a good job of loading the old wheels and tires into the bed of the truck, they shifted on me as I was checking so I had to pull over and fix it, and since it was rushhour I didn't retest again.

I also didn't yet do the learn process for TPMS. I'll do that tomorrow. Tire shop is close enough to my house that it didn't have time to err.

Tuesday when the last wheel arrives I'll have it mounted and balanced and throw it underneath. The old tires are going to become rollers on a project truck, they wore pretty poorly. We'll see if I like this setup enough to make it permanent and part with the aluminum wheels or not. I think I will, but until I know for sure I won't part with the old wheels, and there are at least three sets of those alloys on Craigslist right now anyway, no sense in pouring more supply on.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Oh, and to add, I got these wheels from Wheels, Tires, and More for $52 each, there was tax but free shipping, so basically $56 per wheel. So $225 for all four wheels, reconditioned, shipped. They were easy to deal with, they answered my questions via e-mail promptly. I didn't find anywhere else this reasonable beyond the stumbling upon the first Craigslist wheel.

Also they balanced well, only minimal weights if any. I've further confirmed that I cannot use a pop-in center cap inside of the center bore, in back the hub itself fills the entire space and is nearly flush with the face of the wheel. I'll probably paint the rear hubs, haven't decided if I'll paint the fronts, didn't look at 'em really yet.

So at some point I'll get the bigger Pathfinder front brakes. Might also look if the improved Pathy rear brakes on the independent rear end will fit on the live axle or not. Probably won't but wouldn't hurt to check.

I might also paint a very thin pinstripe on the wheels near the outer rim. We'll see though. No rush.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts