Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard both of these in person? Which one was the deeper tone, and closer sounding to stock? Ideally, i'd like zero drone and no rasp.

I want to get a catback and it's down to these two as I read on hear they're the closest sounding to stock, but replace the y-pipe and muffler is higher flowing. I don't want loud, I just want more power.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
Zero drone AND no rasp essentially eliminates any straight thru style muffler...though w/ the addition of well located resonator(s) you might achieve your goal.

Drone is mostly harmonic resonance...and our VQ40s are inherently raspy, even more so w/ headers.

Any complaints about the Gibson cat-back system is that it is too quiet for some...with a couple/few fitment issues that I 'think' Gibson has ironed out. IFF going 'stainless steel cat-back system' this is the direction I'd go.

I've yet to tackle mine...and in no real hurry either. My current plan is to go custom w/ a 2-in/1-out turbo muffler utilizing the stock tailpipe/outlet location. My goal is no-drone/no-rice. Will accept some rasp since my 6-sp will magnify it b/tw shifts anyways. Quiet power w/ some growl is the bullseye.

One will not really know what they'll get until it is installed and they turn the key. Some break-in is required w/ some systems as well.
YMMV yadaX3

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have heard a Banks in person and it was raspy. I do not know what other exhaust mods, if any, the truck had.

·
Registered
770 Posts
With my setup, dumping the exhaust at the axle killed the drone but the rasp was horrible. A 10$ resonator off a ford expedition solved that and fit perfectly as the tailpipe section. Sounds really good now. Still a little bit of rasp and drone but I have longtubes so they are gonna make noise.

I am going to swap my titan muffler with a 2 in one out straight through one sometime and see how that sounds.

Imo, its better/cheaper to have a shop do the exhaust work rather than buy an expensive cat back.

It cost me $150 including the muffler to get rid of stupid factory y pipe at a local shop.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I have Doug Thorley cat-back. They were moving their shop to a new location so it took me 7+ weeks to get it (about a year ago). It is a nice kit, all parts you could put together yourself in your garage. Fit was very good, sound is great and the performance definitely noticeable right off the bat. Could not beat the price either! 349.00 shipped! plus they took off another 10% for taking so long. A bolt on performance exhaust for essentially 315.00 . I could not pass it up! May be better kits out there, but I'm loving mine

pic 1 - old exhaust with magnaflow Y pipe, I removed the whole thing without taking it apart
pic 2 - Doug Thorley kit
pic 3 - underside installed
pic 4 - exhaust tip that comes with it

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
NCFronty, that looks great!

·
Registered
310 Posts
older but new to me, my 2011 SV 4.0 looking for a catback as the OE looks poor + of course flows poorly. just seen the doug thorley today, it shows no secondary cat now + still priced under most + using "stainless" meaning the cheaper 400 series. their web shows 2.25 in into 2.5 in prolly better for torque than most that are bigger diameter pipes. would like lifetime 304 grade stainless but it looks like the 400 series will have to do.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i continue my research on exhaust for my 2011 fronty 4.0, seems the DT is the best sized 2.25 into the muff then 2.5. only 400 grade stainless out there + although DT only has 5 yr warranty + a few offer lifetime, good luck getting anything apart after a few years in the snow + salt!!! 10 years + 304 stainless slips apart because theres NO surface rust!! i see you show the rear cat in your pic, i was under impression the DT used none!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts