Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decided to go with the doug thorley system, got it in a week from LMPerformance at a better price than others! opened the box last night to check it out as i seen variations of what it was. all pipes are 2.5" 409 stainless muffler is 30" long including pipe connections + its straight thru, but on an angle. the hangars that i seen as part of the clamps were actually welded 304 stainless to the pipes + a very nice shiny bolt on 304 stainless tip. there is no second kitty on the single pipe like the OE system, checking everything slipped together easily, i ordered 304 stainless band clamps from Jegs last night as i don't like the clamps that indent the pipe + make future removal if not rusted on easier, i will use anti sneeze on the slip connections. waiting for Linseed oil to coat the outside of the system as well. i did a second application of Kroil to the bolts on the OE system but most will prolly get cut off. it looks like there are studs on the front cats + they are VERY rusted as are the flanges, prolly end up cutting + drilling them out. prolly 2 weeks for the linseed oil i will coat the system before installing so i will fuss with the bolts to be removed in the mean time. can't wait to get an exhaust i can hear!!!

·
Premium Member
7,490 Posts
decided to go with the doug thorley system, got it in a week from LMPerformance at a better price than others! opened the box last night to check it out as i seen variations of what it was. all pipes are 2.5" 409 stainless muffler is 30" long including pipe connections + its straight thru, but on an angle. the hangars that i seen as part of the clamps were actually welded 304 stainless to the pipes + a very nice shiny bolt on 304 stainless tip. there is no second kitty on the single pipe like the OE system, checking everything slipped together easily, i ordered 304 stainless band clamps from Jegs last night as i don't like the clamps that indent the pipe + make future removal if not rusted on easier, i will use anti sneeze on the slip connections. waiting for Linseed oil to coat the outside of the system as well. i did a second application of Kroil to the bolts on the OE system but most will prolly get cut off. it looks like there are studs on the front cats + they are VERY rusted as are the flanges, prolly end up cutting + drilling them out. prolly 2 weeks for the linseed oil i will coat the system before installing so i will fuss with the bolts to be removed in the mean time. can't wait to get an exhaust i can hear!!!
Found what you were looking for, eh?

Can you clarify what I bolded? ::smile::

Does this DT system utilize a SS Y-pipe? Or is it a 2-in/1-out muffler? Guessing the former due to the 30" 'straight thru' muffler.

Hoping we can hear a sound clip after you break it in!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on another post a member showed the third kitty which doug thorley uses in the xterra's according to pics + the higher price. since there are no sensors aka kitty sniffers past that cat a straight thru pipe in its place will not throw a code, + of course flow better. the kitty's double as mufflers as well restricting flow + sound!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just to be clear the 2 primary cats generally called precats just of the exhaust manifolds + the 2 secondary cats are NOT disturbed + laying under the truck with little clearance can get confusing at times! looking again today as i sprayed with Kroil again i noticed both the secondary cats. the thorley cat backs show one with a cat, prolly for the xterra as i noted unless they changed or the other poster had a different earlier system. again as noted catalog says 2.25 into 2.5 inches but material list showed 3 2.5" clamps included + the hangar rods were welded to the pipes + not to the pipe clamps as i seen on the pics!! gonna give the bolts a "try" tomorrow but want to have the band clamps in hand + i will precoat the pipes before installing. being retired i can do without a ride for a day or two, but have an older TT roadster i prefer not to drive on the salty, sloppy roads this time of year!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts