Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Double DIN Head Unit - Which is the Parking Wire? Brown / Black? (Answer = Green!)

I just installed a new double DIN head unit in my 06 Frontier (6-speed manual), and I have everything set up except for the parking brake wire. I've already gone through everything I'll be doing with the head unit, and none of it requires the parking brake to be on, but I'd like to have it hooked up properly anyway, on the off chance that it's needed in the future.

I won't be using a bypass, so does anyone know if it's this black or brown wire that I need to tap for the parking brake signal? Or is it the small wire bundle to the left of this, closer to the driver seat?

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
The '06 factory service manual indicates the wire color between the park brake switch and the instrument cluster is Green.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
Every double-DIN HU I've seen that has a parking brake wire requires it to be grounded when the parking brake is up, so all you have to do is use a multimeter to find out which of those two wires gets ground.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I found the parking brake wire! It was actually easier to find than I thought it would be, and it is green, just like the wire coming from the head unit (go figure). Here are two photos showing it's location (green wire sleeved in black conduit). I cut the conduit and used a T tap connection (bought at AutoZone for about $2) to grab the signal.

Now I can access extra menus / video function (even though I don't use the head unit for video) with the parking brake up.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts