Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched a bunch yesterday and found tons of places to see the wiring diagram for the wires coming to the back of the head unit but they dont match the colors of the wires in the doors. I guess my first question would be, does it matter what wire you hook to the + and -? I always thought it did but I tried them both ways and sound came out. I thought I heard a difference but not enough to detirmine which way was better. The stock speakers dont have any indication of which wire is positive and negative, so I was at a loss there. I know the wires in the driver side front door are blue w/white strip and blue w/red stripe. The wires in the passenger side are blue w/black stripe and white, i think. I havent looked at the back doors enough to remember what they are. I would like to know that I have hooked them up properly. Can anyone help with this? I can verify the wire colors and post back later if I need to. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just want to rant before I give you advice.

I never understood why people try to install car audio stuff if they don't know what they are doing. Almost every post on here about audio is I cut the plug and need to know what wires go where to connect my radio. People they make plugs for stereos and even speakers. costs like $25 total.

Anyways with that said. It doesn't really matter what wire you put on what terminal except for a few things. You need be consistent. The most Ideal scenario is that you end up correct with + wire to + positive terminal and - wire to - terminal.

You can also end up + wire to - terminal and vicea versa this isnt ideal but it will work.

what you dont want is that say on the left front speaker your + to + and - to - and on the right front your + to - and - to +. this is called out of phase and the sound will sound muddy.

I hope this helps it sounds complicated but it aint and in the future just buy the adapters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont want them to be out of phase, thats why im asking which colors are what. I want to be consistent but the colors are inconsistent. The colors at the back of the head unit do not match what comes out behind the speakers and there are 8 different colors for the 4 different speakers. I knew somebody was going to say how dumb I was and all that but I was really hoping somebody could point me in the right direction. I searched all day yesterday before I asked but I couldnt find the info I was looking for. I didnt trash the connectors when i cut them and I left plenty of slack so I would have enough wire to resplice them if I wanted to put the stock stuff back but nothing indicates which ones are positive or negative.

·
Registered
397 Posts
When I went to replace my rear speakers, I was looking for the plugs that would plug into the factory harness at the speaker. Crutchfield didn't have them, and I couldn't find them else where. The instructions that came with the crutchfield kit made no mention of which wire was which. If I could remember what wires I used for what, I would help. To date, my speakers sound pretty good, much better than before. Also, the adapters that crutchfield send with their rear speakers, don't fit. They are off by just a bit. I have the factory speakers and will eventually make adapters out of MDF when I get the chance too.

Dan

·
Registered
143 Posts
I cant remember the colors either. But from what I remember I do believe that Nissan marks the original speakers on the terminals with a dot. Not sure if its a + or - lead though.

Then to check if you have the right wires connected is to take a 9 volt battery to the speaker. If i remember correctly the cone should pull in for the wires to be connected correctly. if it pushes out then the wires are reversed.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
though this is not always true, look at the stock speaker terminals. One is often larger than the other. Sometimes there's a mark near one of the terminals a paint mark of some sort. I use these as the pos. whatever you do, just stay consistent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will try the 9v thing and look again at the stock speakers to see if i can see a distinguishing mark or a larger terminal. I appreciate the discussion. I think the 9v trick sounds like the best plan to figure out which is which for each speaker and then, like stated before, just be consistent. I will post back once I figure out which way makes the speakers pull in. Thanks for that tip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I tried the 9v thing yesterday evening and wrote them all down when the speaker pulled in. It turns out, if that chart is correct, that the speaker and the battery polarity match when the speaker is pushed out. I could have been consistent given the information i got from the 9v test but knowing for sure with the chart just eased my mind.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Then to check if you have the right wires connected is to take a 9 volt battery to the speaker. If i remember correctly the cone should pull in for the wires to be connected correctly. if it pushes out then the wires are reversed.
Opposite. I've used as small as 1.5v AA batteries for this. If you put the + side of the battery on the + of the speaker, and the same for - the cone will push out. If it sucks in, you have it backwards.

Test a speaker with a 9 volt battery - Sound Speaker Repair

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are correct, I confirmed that with the chart that was given in the link a few posts up. Again, thanks for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts