Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
578 Posts
Please keep us posted.
When they changed my actuator there was an improve in that now I can at least unlock the door with the fob. Before when it locked it would not unlock with the fob and I would have to remove the key from the fob to get in or go through the passenger door and unlock it from the inside. After the dealer changed the actuator and it locked itself I removed the door panel and lubed fhe latch and cables. It may have been the lube that corrected the issue.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier Pro4x Tac Green
387 Posts
So, I have a new development that I'm not sure are connected or not. My tailgate lock doesn't lock initially when locking the doors with any of the 3 ways I can lock the doors (interior door lock switch, exterior door switch, or key fob). So now, when I lock the doors and pull the tailgate handle it opens, then I can close the tailgate, then check it again, and it's locked (perhaps y'all should check yours as well to see if it functions correctly or not). When I first went to the dealership they seemed to think the two issues were connected (driver door not opening correctly and tailgate not locking correctly). It's going back today so I can show them the issue. It even clearly states in the owners manual that all doors (including tailgate) will lock when pressing any of the lock switches. I'm kinda annoyed that they clearly didn't check function of all the door locks and tailgate lock before giving me my truck back.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
578 Posts
So, I have a new development that I'm not sure are connected or not. My tailgate lock doesn't lock initially when locking the doors with any of the 3 ways I can lock the doors (interior door lock switch, exterior door switch, or key fob). So now, when I lock the doors and pull the tailgate handle it opens, then I can close the tailgate, then check it again, and it's locked (perhaps y'all should check yours as well to see if it functions correctly or not). When I first went to the dealership they seemed to think the two issues were connected (driver door not opening correctly and tailgate not locking correctly). It's going back today so I can show them the issue. It even clearly states in the owners manual that all doors (including tailgate) will lock when pressing any of the lock switches. I'm kinda annoyed that they clearly didn't check function of all the door locks and tailgate lock before giving me my truck back.
Are you having the problem with the driver's door locking on its own?

I've never had an issue with my tailgate lock. Works as it's suppose to just like the other three doors.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Are you having the problem with the driver's door locking on its own?

I've never had an issue with my tailgate lock. Works as it's suppose to just like the other three doors.
No, never had it lock on it's own. I garage park my truck every day and I don't lock it (no reason too) and I've never had it be locked in the AM.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just went and got the tailgate lock weirdness documented. They were asking me about my ditch lights and how I had them wired. I have it through the "Clearance" fuse, I explained how it was done with an add-a-fuse, ect... and he said that shouldn't cause any issue. I've tested it with the clearance lights illuminated and off and it still doesn't lock 99% of the time. It goes back Saturday since I didn't have the time to wait.

It seems to me that the tailgate lock itself is at fault.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Mine exhibits this same behavior, I'm assuming it's normal. Tailgate isn't locked until a few seconds after you lock it. No idea why. It does always lock though so doesn't matter too much I suppose.

Surprised me first time I noticed it, I thought the lock was broken.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mine exhibits this same behavior, I'm assuming it's normal. Tailgate isn't locked until a few seconds after you lock it. No idea why. It does always lock though so doesn't matter too much I suppose.

I've waited til the caution lights go off and its still unlocked. Either way, the manual states that all doors lock including tail gate with pressing any of the lock switches.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
578 Posts

That's odd. My tailgate locks the instant I push the button on the fob with a loud thud.

·
Registered
387 Posts
That's odd. My tailgate locks the instant I push the button on the fob with a loud thud.
Mine makes the thud sound but doesn't lock. I think it's the lock itself because I can open it and close it and then it locks. It's like it's getting stuck. Might try some WD40 to see if that'll loosen it up.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
578 Posts
Mine makes the thud sound but doesn't lock. I think it's the lock itself because I can open it and close it and then it locks. It's like it's getting stuck. Might try some WD40 to see if that'll loosen it up.
Take the panel off the tailgate and have a look. I installed the kit myself. It's a pretty simple device. It just mimics what the manual lock with fhe key does.

If your not comfortable removing g the panel take it back for warranty work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Brought my truck back to the dealership today. They took opened the passenger side door panel and poked around, and then ordered a new actuator, which I'll probably get installed next week. The service rep did say there are more and more cases of this in the database but it's still listed as "Under Engineering Review".

·
Registered
74 Posts
Brought my truck in today to have the passenger side door actuator replaced. New actuator did nothing. Same issue. Nissan still has the issue listed as "Under Engineering Review".

·
Registered
346 Posts
keyfob.
Brought my truck in today to have the passenger side door actuator replaced. New actuator did nothing. Same issue. Nissan still has the issue listed as "Under Engineering Review".
Toggle the lock a few times with the physical key hidden in the keyfob. That should take care of it.

This happens sometimes when you try and open the door as it's still cycling the lock I think. So in other words when you unlock the car and open the door, make sure it's done before doing so. Don't start to pull the handle like as you are unlocking it. It's not the actuator, a bunch of folks here had their actuator replaced for this issue and it doesn't solve anything - Nissan needs to update that listing as "under engineering review, don't replace the actuator" because they are wasting parts.

Don't think there will be a fix. Think it's just the nature of the lock. Once it gets caught up at that mid point the car doesn't seem able to reliably work the lock again until you manually cycle it with the key.

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV LWB 4x4
578 Posts
keyfob.

Toggle the lock a few times with the physical key hidden in the keyfob. That should take care of it.

This happens sometimes when you try and open the door as it's still cycling the lock I think. So in other words when you unlock the car and open the door, make sure it's done before doing so. Don't start to pull the handle like as you are unlocking it. It's not the actuator, a bunch of folks here had their actuator replaced for this issue and it doesn't solve anything - Nissan needs to update that listing as "under engineering review, don't replace the actuator" because they are wasting parts.

Don't think there will be a fix. Think it's just the nature of the lock. Once it gets caught up at that mid point the car doesn't seem able to reliably work the lock again until you manually cycle it with the key.
How is he going to do that on the passenger side when there is no cylinder lock on the passenger side?

The issue is that the BCM is commanding the door to lock. You can sit inside the truck and watch the inside latch move to the half way point after opening and closing the door.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was able to send a video to the service dept. Unfortunately, I can't upload it here.

It's not a matter of the lock switch being stuck halfway, it just doesn't move at all. For example, if the passenger side door is locked and I'm inside the truck the only way to unlock the passenger side door is to reach over and flip teh lock switch with my finger. The Lock/Unlock button does nothing. Nor does the fob or the black button on the exterior door handle.

Same is true if the passenger side door is unlocked. The only way to lock it is to use your finger to move the lock switch to the locked position.

I almost always have a passenger in my car with me so this has become a huge pain in the ***.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As odd as this sounds, the new actuator has made the issue worse. Prior to the new actuator, the door worked sporadically - maybe every 5th time I used the fob the passenger side door would lock/unlock.

It's been 3 days since I had the new actuator installed, and I have probably driven the truck 10 times since then and the passenger side door has not worked once.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts