Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 149,000 Mile 2006 SE 4.0L 6M Crew door chime has intermittently started to beep after I park and open the door as if they key was in the ignition. But they key is in my hand. When I close the door, the beeping stops. Truck starts fine; no problem there.

I'm thinking that my ignition switch is beginning to fail. Has anyone had this problem? Ideas welcome. [Note: I've purposely avoided carrying a heavy set of keys since the truck was new so as to not stress the ignition switch.] I can live with it, as long as it doesn't lead to further trouble. I'm going to swap keys to see if that changes anything.

I wonder if any sort of re-programming is involved for an ignition switch replacement? I've done no repair research, but I'm guessing that the work may be difficult because of anti-theft systems in place. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For what it's worth, I swapped ignition keys and am now using the "never used before" key and all has been well for four days.

The "always used before" key has probably been inserted into the ignition cylinder 8,000 times by now and the key surfaces are worn and rounded. The surfaces on my "never used before" key are sharp. My assumption is that one of the lock pins within the ignition cylinder is hanging up, so sometimes sounds the chime when the keys are out. The "never used before key" has sharp, clean edges and properly moves the pins a wee bit more in their range.

Too early to tell for sure .......

1 - 2 of 2 Posts