Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on some footwell lighting for my 06 frontier tapped into dome light. Everything worked fine when I tested it initially. Disconnected battery and after running all wiring and hooking battery back up, dome lights no longer worked, nor did the cargo lamp. Tried replacing fuses, left battery disconnected 10mins for possible BCM issue. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Looks like the two lamps run off of the same fuse. Did you check the fuses behind the cover that is hidden behind the glove box door?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like the two lamps run off of the same fuse. Did you check the fuses behind the cover that is hidden behind the glove box door?
Yep, tried changing top left 15 A fuse and 2 top right. One of em had a 20A and box cover calls for a 10A so even tried that and nothing

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I always use a DMM (digital multimeter) to test continuity of fuses because after fuses I can then continue on troubleshooting getting voltage readings with the DMM if need be.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Do you have power at the fuse for the dome light? Did you check the IDPM in the engine compartment for any blown fuses?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have power at the fuse for the dome light? Did you check the IDPM in the engine compartment for any blown fuses?
Just tested those with brand new fuses and no power to them. So that's part of the problem but not entirely sure where to go from here. What would cause those fuses to lose power?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Ya gonna make me break out a wiring diagram, aren't ya? :unsure: Let me check into it.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
So, we are dealing with the fuse box behind the glove box door. One thing I remember is that if you use a regular sized test light, you may not get contact if you try to probe the fuse contact. I use a pin with a lead wire attached to it and connect it to the 12v test lamp. There are two different wiring diagrams, "with power locks" and "without power locks." Looks like the "with" has vanity lamps and the "without" doesn't have them. I'm going with the "with P/Locks," but it shouldn't matter for what we're dealing with.
In the fuse block behind the glove box, we need to check 10A fuse #18. You should have power there at all times, as it is directly power from the battery. If you don't have power to it, you are going to have to trace that wire back from the fuse terminal to the battery. It doesn't look like there are any connectors between them, so I would imagine it would go right through the harness, through the hole in the passenger side of the firewall, up to the battery. The diagram doesn't show what color the wire it is (it "may" be red/yellow). If you had the positive battery cable removed, you may want to start on that end.
If you have power through fuse # 18, it goes to a red/yellow wire to a splice. One red/yellow wire goes from the splice to pin 57 of the BCM. The other red/yellow wire goes from the splice to another splice at the cargo lamp relay. One wire goes from the splice to pin 2 of the cargo lamp relay, through the relay solenoid, exiting at pin 1 (pink wire) which goes to pin 50 of the BCM. The other wire goes from the splice to pin 5 of the cargo lamp relay, which is the "switch side," and sends power to pin 3 when switch is close (green wire) to the cargo lamp and then to chassis grounds.
Now, if you have P/Locks, the map lights and/or dome light and vanity lights all get their power from the BCM.
If you have manual door locks, there are two splices on the red/yellow wire between fuse #18 and the BCM. One splice feeds the red/yellow wire directly to the map lights and/or some light and the other splice feeds power to a red/yellow wire directly to the cargo lamp relay. If you need any more info, go to NICO Club's site and they have factory service manuals you can access. Go to the Lighting section of the 06 Frontier FSM. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, we are dealing with the fuse box behind the glove box door. One thing I remember is that if you use a regular sized test light, you may not get contact if you try to probe the fuse contact. I use a pin with a lead wire attached to it and connect it to the 12v test lamp. There are two different wiring diagrams, "with power locks" and "without power locks." Looks like the "with" has vanity lamps and the "without" doesn't have them. I'm going with the "with P/Locks," but it shouldn't matter for what we're dealing with.
In the fuse block behind the glove box, we need to check 10A fuse #18. You should have power there at all times, as it is directly power from the battery. If you don't have power to it, you are going to have to trace that wire back from the fuse terminal to the battery. It doesn't look like there are any connectors between them, so I would imagine it would go right through the harness, through the hole in the passenger side of the firewall, up to the battery. The diagram doesn't show what color the wire it is (it "may" be red/yellow). If you had the positive battery cable removed, you may want to start on that end.
If you have power through fuse # 18, it goes to a red/yellow wire to a splice. One red/yellow wire goes from the splice to pin 57 of the BCM. The other red/yellow wire goes from the splice to another splice at the cargo lamp relay. One wire goes from the splice to pin 2 of the cargo lamp relay, through the relay solenoid, exiting at pin 1 (pink wire) which goes to pin 50 of the BCM. The other wire goes from the splice to pin 5 of the cargo lamp relay, which is the "switch side," and sends power to pin 3 when switch is close (green wire) to the cargo lamp and then to chassis grounds.
Now, if you have P/Locks, the map lights and/or dome light and vanity lights all get their power from the BCM.
If you have manual door locks, there are two splices on the red/yellow wire between fuse #18 and the BCM. One splice feeds the red/yellow wire directly to the map lights and/or some light and the other splice feeds power to a red/yellow wire directly to the cargo lamp relay. If you need any more info, go to NICO Club's site and they have factory service manuals you can access. Go to the Lighting section of the 06 Frontier FSM. Good luck!
Awesome, I think this should get me to an answer. I'll update asap. Thanks a lot for all the info!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Updat

Update: Fuse 18 was bad like you said. Got that one replaced and everything works perfect now. Thanks a lot for everyone's input!
Whenever I have electrical issues I check every single fuse with my DMM set to continuity beep so I don't have to take my eyes away from probing the fuse contacts. I can go thru the entire fuse block in a matter of seconds.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You got down on this one!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts