Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I recently installed the RCKilla lift on my truck about a month ago. Had a shop install the springs on the struts for me since I won't touch a spring compressor.

Last weekend I was on a trail and noticed if I hit a pothole on the passenger side decently hard there would be what I would describe as a coil pop sound. When I got home, I took a look at the struts and noticed the bottom of the passenger side seemed compressed?

First photo is my driver side. This side does not make sound.
2nd and 3rd are of the passenger side. This side makes the sound.

Any ideas?

Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread

Automotive tire Coil Light Motor vehicle Tire

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Coil spring Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The springs look fine to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Take a pic of the drivers side from the rear of the front tire, IE from the cv axle side. Willing to bet you'll see the same "compression" since the 2nd coil wrap rests on the metal lip. The 1st pic you're looking at the 2nd and 3rd wraps. Also that noise you heard I'm willing to bet is your upper control arm banging on the coil bucket.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
I'll check today when I get home for CBC.

Appreciate the help everyone. Will update after checking for CBC.
Easiest way to check with a good jack is to jack the front up and see if the uca makes contact with the coil bucket - if you've hit it a bunch you may have to hit it with some paint

·
Registered
22' SV LWB
254 Posts
I agree, that spring is not mounted squarely. The shock should be centered.
Ditto. Take a look at the top of the shock mounts to see if the passenger side piston os off-center and if the rubber bushings are damages or out of place. My guess is that the ship forgot the metal washer that goes below the rubber bushings and the shock piston has pushed up into the bushings. This is the "Bilstein 5100 issue" folks are referring to above.

There's no way you're getting coil bucket contact (cbc) with the stock (factory) shock unless you've installed shock spacers, which I don't see mentioned above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ditto. Take a look at the top of the shock mounts to see if the passenger side piston os off-center and if the rubber bushings are damages or out of place. My guess is that the ship forgot the metal washer that goes below the rubber bushings and the shock piston has pushed up into the bushings. This is the "Bilstein 5100 issue" folks are referring to above.

There's no way you're getting coil bucket contact (cbc) with the stock (factory) shock unless you've installed shock spacers, which I don't see mentioned above.

I'll take it off this weekend and check it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts