Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I've just recently bought an '05 LE CC 4x4, and didn't think that it had either ABLS or VDC because it doesn't have the switches to turn either system off. However, the other day I was driving for the first time in the rain, and noticed the little SLIP warning light blinking from time to time on the dash when accelerating too quickly causing the rear wheels to loose traction. The SLIP light on the dash also lights up momentarily when the vehicle is started. Does this mean that my truck does indeed have ABLS & VDC? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
That's just the limited slip differential working. If you don't have the VDC button on the lower control panel (below AC controls) then you don't have it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You have ABLS.

If you have the VDC system you would have an off button for it. It is only available with automatics.

The ABLS system is different. I have it and there is no shutting it off (easily). When it activates the SLIP light does indeed blink on the dash board. It detects a spinning wheel and brakes it, allowing that wheel to try to gain traction and stopping it from robbing all the power from the other wheel.

·
Registered
91 Posts
^^^
Yes, it's not a limited slip at all. It's a completely open diff with a ABS computer bandaid. At least I've got a locker, but it only works in 4x4 low.

·
Registered
315 Posts
quoted to point out the absurdity of the above statement.
I understand where you are coming from, but technically the electronic nanny known as (ABLS) on our trucks is actually "Limiting the slippage of a spinning wheel" by allowing the ABS to interrupt by braking the free spinning wheel and slowing it to a speed equaling the wheel with grip. This in turn makes the open type differential think traction is equal. So technically the terminology is still effective. My gripe is when people call a "Limited slip differential" a "Locker" of which it is not.

Dodge for instance calls their device an "Anti-Spin" differential, and many people loosely call it a locker of which it is far from as well. But equally as effective by term by "Limiting the free spinning of a wheel with little traction"

What the system can't do is create the sure footed prowess of crawling over rocks and such where being able to "lock" the axles would be necessary to proceed.

What the system does do well... is amazing for gaining traction on slick surfaces like mud & ice. My ABLS equipped truck is like a dogsled in the snow, even just tooling around in 2WD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts