Nissan Frontier Forum banner
101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Nissan Frontier SV Long Bed 4WD
5 Posts
I placed a deposit for one of these trucks a few weeks ago and I'm looking at receiving it in the summer some time.

I decided to do a little research since then and discovered the plant these trucks are built in isn't unionized and Nissan actually ran an aggressive anti union campaign a few years ago in Mississippi. It left a sour taste in my mouth to say the least.

Purchasing or not purchasing a truck and giving a company 50k is a big deal and I feel like it's one of those cases I can definitely speak with my wallet and not purchase this truck.

On the other hand the union built trucks like the Ford ranger, jeep thing, and the GMC/Chevy midsizes don't really tickle my fancy so it leaves me in a bit of a predicament.

Do you guys ever have similar thoughts when purchasing a new vehicle?
I placed a deposit for one of these trucks a few weeks ago and I'm looking at receiving it in the summer some time.

I decided to do a little research since then and discovered the plant these trucks are built in isn't unionized and Nissan actually ran an aggressive anti union campaign a few years ago in Mississippi. It left a sour taste in my mouth to say the least.

Purchasing or not purchasing a truck and giving a company 50k is a big deal and I feel like it's one of those cases I can definitely speak with my wallet and not purchase this truck.

On the other hand the union built trucks like the Ford ranger, jeep thing, and the GMC/Chevy midsizes don't really tickle my fancy so it leaves me in a bit of a predicament.

No issues with non-union whatsoever.

·
Registered
238 Posts

I’m a retired GM UAW Skilled tradesmen, I believe in buying union made if I can, but look at all the American brands that are made in Mexico thanks to bill Clinton and the democrats those aren’t union made either. At least the Frontier is made in America.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I understand if some people have a problem with the Nissan being built in a nonunion factory. I have lived in the south all of my 68 years and have had friends move from up north that were union employees. I have heard just as many union people that left the union that said they wish they had never been involved with a union as others that say the union has done goodbye them. So no it makes no difference to me I got a great truck built by skilled employees, I could care less if they’re unionized.
I don't have any problems with the union at all really. They can do good.

This was just my personal experience with them. After reading everyone's comment it is eye opening. I see a lot of good as well as some not so good.

Every employer and union is unique. In my case the parent company which is Grupo Mexico which owns Asarco the mining company is known to be very brutal and for years have been trying to get rid of the union.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Mass Resignation, Labor shortage, 90% of workers in the USA are non-union, yep, there happy with their wages, benefits and conditions for sure

·
Registered
90 Posts
What, non union and a wpos? I know I won't be buying another Nissan. They've been crap for the last twenty years anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Nope

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Unions came on the scene to right a wrong; workers were being abused by management and something had to be done. Unions did a good job in equalizing the power. But somehow the balance of power tilted the opposite way. Unions began to control output. They screwed up efficiency with crazy work rules. If the big Three autos wanted to produce cars, they needed to heed the UAW. This is why new auto plants are situated down south. Avoid the UAW. I firmly believe a vehicle produced in Mississipi is just as good as one made in Detroit. No need for a union. Honest pay for an honest day's work. I hear that the Tacoma is being produced in Mexico. More UAW avoidance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don’t know if I have a problem with it or not. I really wasn’t aware of that. I started working union back in 2005 for the IBEW Local 11. The reason for that was I had hurt myself pretty bad and didn’t have insurance. Before that I worked as a non union sparky starting in 98. Great money once I got into prevailing wage but no benefits. I switched unions in 2014 over to the IUEC Local 18, great union great people. I’ve been on both sides of the fence and like the side I’m on now. I think if the employees are treated and paid right, that really is what’s most important. My truck does have a super annoying rattle under the dash, that it’s had since I bought it, brand knew. I should have known it was made by a bunch of Rats! J/K I still love my truck.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Back in the day the unions was a great thing now people don’t care thy know thy will get the money no matter what don’t care about the quality just give me Mo money Mo money

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is not a thing for me. If a Union shop is putting out a product I want to buy, I buy it and will probably not have any idea it was a unioned worker that put it together. On the same note, I typically look for American Products to purchase if they are quality (which they aren't always). Bought a beast of a Vacuum cleaner and it's made in the USA. Bought Speed Queen washer and Dryer and we're very happy with it. Bought a German engineered/made dishwasher because the other stuff was either junk or didn't flip all the triggers. Couldn't tell you which of those items were made in Union Shops. I try to buy quality, not by Ideology. It makes everyone better.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Frontier SV CC 4x4 6sp
17 Posts
I have no issues at all with nonunionized companies. I think not being in a union is a plus. The last company that I worked for had a union that did nothing for us except take their dues every paycheck. Now I work as a normal employee at a nonunion company doing the same type of work and things are much better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, the union thing does not bother me, why should it? Unlike some, I don't have the time to fight everyones batlles. What's your next question, "Does it bother me that the truck doesn't run on rainbows and chopped up unicorns? Grow up, it's a site so people can be free of the non-sense you are trying to start.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Unions are like insurance... only good when you need them.

Union or not, I trust that the workers that build the truck in the factory are proud of their work, that's all I would hope for.

·
Premium Member
2020 SV Crew Cab Gun Metal Midnight Edition
238 Posts
No, not at all.

·
Premium Member
8,305 Posts
As it turns out, my '15 SV was built on a dreaded Friday...and the only 'issue' I've had thus far was replacing the thermostat at 38k on my dime. Will be hitting 85k soon.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts