Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed a deposit for one of these trucks a few weeks ago and I'm looking at receiving it in the summer some time.

I decided to do a little research since then and discovered the plant these trucks are built in isn't unionized and Nissan actually ran an aggressive anti union campaign a few years ago in Mississippi. It left a sour taste in my mouth to say the least.

Purchasing or not purchasing a truck and giving a company 50k is a big deal and I feel like it's one of those cases I can definitely speak with my wallet and not purchase this truck.

On the other hand the union built trucks like the Ford ranger, jeep thing, and the GMC/Chevy midsizes don't really tickle my fancy so it leaves me in a bit of a predicament.

Do you guys ever have similar thoughts when purchasing a new vehicle?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I started my mining career with a unionized mine and was a Stewart with the Teamsters 104 for 5 years.

It was ALWAYS a fight with the company over everything. Honestly the work morale was very low, they have not seen an increase in pay in about 12 years, insurance costs increased by a lot, they took away pensions, and other things.

I now work for a non union mine and we don't have that tension between management and hourly employees. I make about 8 more an hour, have a 401K match, and insurance is cheaper.

I am just sharing my personal experience with my career and unions. I respect both sides weather union or not. I don't like getting into the politics of it all.

It is quite different I am sure from the mining industry compared to auto manufacturing.

It does not bother me that Frontier was made in non union factory.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Frontier SV CCSB 4x4
813 Posts
does it bother you that your cellphone was made in a non-union factory? What about your tv or computer? Shoes? Let’s ditch all that stuff!

·
Registered
2021 Frontier SV CC 4x4; 2018 Frontier SV KC 4x2
832 Posts
Couldn’t care less. Sorry, but you’ll get no outrage from me. My dad was a union steward for most of his 35 years brewing beer. I’ve never had the desire to seek employment that required me to pay dues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I started my mining career with a unionized mine and was a Stewart with the Teamsters 104 for 5 years.

It was ALWAYS a fight with the company over everything. Honestly the work morale was very low, they have not seen an increase in pay in about 12 years, insurance costs increased by a lot, they took away pensions, and other things.

I now work for a non union mine and we don't have that tension between management and hourly employees. I make about 8 more an hour, have a 401K match, and insurance is cheaper.

I am just sharing my personal experience with my career and unions. I respect both sides weather union or not. I don't like getting into the politics of it all.

It is quite different I am sure from the mining industry compared to auto manufacturing.

It does not bother me that Frontier was made in non union factory.
I appreciate hearing your personal opinion.

This is an incendiary thread as you are seeking outrage that the Frontier is not made in a union factory. I have no problem with this. Worker/management relations have changed a lot in the past decades and there is no need for unions to defend their workers.
I am not seeking outrage, just curious what other opinions are.

does it bother you that your cellphone was made in a non-union factory? What about your tv or computer? Shoes? Let’s ditch all that stuff!
It's apples to oranges, you don't have other options with most of these other things.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
holidays, overtime pay, and a 40 hr work week are all thanks to Unions, but at least Nissan builds their trucks in the USA while other builders are moving to Mexico. When you think of the jobs that are created by an American plant, not just in the plant, but all the industries needed to supply that plant and its work force, I have no problem with it. btw, I am a Retired Union Member

·
Registered
2022 Frontier SV Crew Cab SWB RWD
53 Posts
I'm all for certain unions, my wife, when she was a resident after medical school, was paid $45k a year to work 60-80 hour weeks for three years. Now, while the hours aren't much better, at least all the new residents are paid substantially more for working such hours. As an aside, why would you want sleep-deprived people administering medicine is beyond me.

I work as a contractor for the federal government, and my position is considered "career-indefinite" (a benefit of what the union as done in my field) so, it pretty much takes something short of an act of congress to get me out of my position. However, if my projects run out of money, I get put into a "pool" of qualified technical/engineering professionals and get proportional pay based on what it is I am able to contribute in the interim--I don't get paid for just twiddling my thumbs--I have to be doing something in order to get paid.

This brings me to the current bloated union that we have now--I know people that have gotten paid 6 months for doing nothing. Not partial pay, not proportional pay, FULL salary for doing nothing because of their seniority, and because of some production or staffing issue that has relegated their job to be null.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Off topic side note, not all Unions are bad, my Union has no paid holidays, they are just a day off, no seniority, and a no strike clause, 8 hrs work for 8 hrs pay is our moto. International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental, and Reinforcing Ironworkers.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Allot of oems build cars/trucks in the southern states. Even my BMW X3 was made in South Carolina. The main reason is cheaper labor and not union friendly at all. For those states I reckon they are good jobs. I mean there are people who still make minimum wage in the south. What riles me up more is they got rid of the chicken tax. So now companies like Toyota and GM are now making trucks in Mexico. Getting rid of that tariff cost jobs. Allot of them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
When I retired from the Navy, I went job hunting for a supervisor position in manufacturing as I had also just gotten a degree in manufacturing. I interviewed at both union plants and non union plants. After many interviews I decided that I did not want to work at a union plant simply because of managements opinions of their work force. They did not like the workers and talked bad about them.

The non union plants had nothing but good things to say about the workers (associates) and were very concerned that with my military background that I might be a bit rough on them. I had to convince them that the days of SGT Bilko were long gone and senior personal in the military had to treat the juniors with as much respect as they expected to get from them.

There was an old saying when I was in college, companies that have unions, deserve them. You can't beat a union drive unless your employees are happy at work and feel valued.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
The genesis of the union movement was in the early 1900s. Management abused their workers and they countered with unions. But the union movement went too far leading to abuse at the other end. It was natural for unions to have an adversarial relationship with management. I have memories of idiotic incidences in my early career. But I believe the days of abuse are gone on both sides. All management has to do is respect the workers and all will be well.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts