Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys (and girls, if we have any!), I need some help identifying this hose. I put in a K&N intake system and have this hose that was mounted on the factory air box and I don't THINK it was connected to anything, but I wanted to get some feedback to see if it's cool to leave as-is, or if it should go somewhere, etc.

Please take a look and let me know what you think!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
ya, should be front diff breather

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yup, diff breather. Zedbra and myself ziptied the hose to one of the brake lines right next to it so it doesn't flop around.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i can also confirm, its the front diff breather hose for sure. so your just going to want to leave that guy alone, if dirt has ya worried you could probably retrofit a small filter on it or maybe tie wrap a fine metal screen on the end of it or something like that, probably wouldn't be a bad idea but i dont' know anyone thats done it. i've thought about it and you've actually reminded me about that i may look into doing something simple for mine soon

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I had no clue, really. When I installed the K&N CAI, I got nervous, so I wrote to K&N - those guys are great over there, btw - they weren't positive what it was b/c I couldn't get them a picture of where the hose lead, so they sent me this (free)

I haven't put it in yet, but it's on the list (seems like overkill, now that I am hearing from you guys, but it will look tricked out anyway)

·
Registered
296 Posts
yep, as everyone has said...that's the front diff breather. i freaked out when i put my volant on. after 30 minutes of doublechecking everything to find out where that stupid hose went, i jumped on here. that filter thingy looks like a good idea!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
yeah thats like exactly what i was thinking for a filter, thats pretty cool that they gave it to ya for free, not like it would be expensive but still a nice gesture. the kits really should come with something like this anyway

·
Registered
845 Posts
2010 only?
Didn't notice that on mine...

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
^^^ it's on all 2nd gens (which includes your truck), it should be there right under the air box (4wd's only of course). if not it's probably fallen down somewhere below, just look for it. it's a good idea to have the top of this hose as far up as possible to help prevent water/gunk/grime from running down into your diff fluid

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
^^^ it's on all 2nd gens (which includes your truck), it should be there right under the air box (4wd's only of course). if not it's probably fallen down somewhere below, just look for it. it's a good idea to have the top of this hose as far up as possible to help prevent water/gunk/grime from running down into your diff fluid
<S>Are you sure about that? I know So Cal cars are built differently, esp. with the breathing tubes. If this has anything to do with emissions, Cali has its grubby paws all over it.</S>

Never mind, RBOWWOW is from Idaho.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Haha same as you! After installing my injen i was "ok, where the hell the this go? figured the install was going TOO smoothly!". After asking on here, i just zipped tied it down.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
<S>Are you sure about that? I know So Cal cars are built differently, esp. with the breathing tubes. If this has anything to do with emissions, Cali has its grubby paws all over it.</S>

Never mind, RBOWWOW is from Idaho.
the diff breather tube has NOTHING to do with engine emissions whatsoever

·
Registered
845 Posts
oH, THAT DIFFERENTIAL BREATHER TUBE...
Yea, found it. It even had a wire tie and clip on it.
As soon as I saw it, I remembered that I forgot to put it somewhere.:crikey:

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
haha :laugh: the mystery is solved!! :fantastic:!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
No Bueno, Adios Mio

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, part 2: Since the breather is turned down, I would guess that's to prevent anything from getting in there; what if I cut it at the bend and put on that K&N filter I showed before? Would it be like the trap in your toilet and s h i t smell would flow back up if it was gone? :laugh:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Ok, part 2: Since the breather is turned down, I would guess that's to prevent anything from getting in there; what if I cut it at the bend and put on that K&N filter I showed before? Would it be like the trap in your toilet and s h i t smell would flow back up if it was gone? :laugh:
:laugh: no you'll be fine doing that. you shouldn't really get too much smell out of it unless the diff is really hot and starting to burn up the oil a bit but you'd pretty much have to be like stuck in snow and have the gas pinned in 4lo for a while to get it that hot. :noworries:

what little vapor you may get under normal operation will be absorbed by the filter

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
When I put in my Volant, next the the ECU plug-in was another little 1/2'' pipe comming off the main tube, and it plugged into that.

Found a pic. Follow the main tube down, and you can see a small little thing sticking out, that is where I plugged it into.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts