Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Joint Statement From Nissan and Chrysler

Nissan and Chrysler today announced a mutual agreement to end three OEM vehicle-supply projects announced last year.

For the past several months, teams from both companies have been studying the viability of the projects in light of significant changes in business conditions since the projects were announced in January and April of 2008.

Today, it was decided it was in the best interests of both companies to end the projects.

The projects had involved:

1. Nissan providing to Chrysler a compact sedan for the South American market beginning this year.
2. Nissan providing to Chrysler a small vehicle for global markets beginning in 2010.
3. Chrysler providing to Nissan a full-size pickup truck starting in 2011.

A separate agreement involving the supply of transmissions from Nissan affiliate JATCO to Chrysler remains unchanged. That agreement has been in effect since 2004.

Unfortunately Nissan has let the titan platform languish and now has to play catch up. However, the 2011 M56 already will have a 400HP Vk56DE, so they are ok in that department. Put in some rather more serious axles front and rear (ala GM 2500 series front end, and D60+ rear end, if they like dana). Better yet would be a in house 3rd member axle, as Nissan is very very good at building those. H260b would be fine I imagine.
I think Nissan can be competitive in this area once again.

Chrysler/Nissan Agreement Officially Terminated | Straightline Blog on Edmunds' Inside Line
http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do;jsessionid=D30AD2BBB12D44D0E3D996E9BBF4CCC2?id=9014&mid=1

·
Registered
335 Posts
chryslers loss, they were going to get two reliable cars and give nissan thier crappy truck!

nissan already has a competitive full size truck that needs updating. i dont get their bussiness strategy

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thank God! Now I can get myself some Titan in a few years!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
chryslers loss, they were going to get two reliable cars and give nissan thier crappy truck!
Chrysler has less reason for a tie in with Nissan now that they have done the deal with Fiat. Nissan is associated with Renault which is one of Fiats biggest competitors, so it all makes sense. Now Chrysler will get their small cars from Fiat without having to give their trucks to Nissan and Nissan can profit off of selling their small cars as Nissans instead of Chryslers.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Yup, Fiat is now screwing with Dodge/Chrysler.

I still hope Nissan realizes that people buy the Titan for towing and a diesel is key in that world. Then why not offer the diesel in the Frontier since the Navara already has it. I know a lot of us bought the VQ40 for the power but a lot offroad and want the TQ and don't exactly need the HP.

I also agree, the Titan needs a beefed rear. Something that comes with a real LSD stock and can handle a bit of power. D60 sounds about right.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Awesome, great news

·
Registered
428 Posts
Why do we not think that Nissan will just discontinue the Titan in light of this? Given the whole economic situation, push for fuel efficiency and poor sales of the platform, I wouldn't be surprised if they axed the Titan/Armada and Infiniti QX altogether.

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Why do we not think that Nissan will just discontinue the Titan in light of this? Given the whole economic situation, push for fuel efficiency and poor sales of the platform, I wouldn't be surprised if they axed the Titan/Armada and Infiniti QX altogether.
Ghosn said they were going to stay in the fullsize market, though we'll see.

I also agree, the Titan needs a beefed rear. Something that comes with a real LSD stock and can handle a bit of power. D60 sounds about right.
h260b would be better. its just a bigger version of the h233b which is rock solid axle...its 260mm in diameter which means an over 10" ring gear. It would directly compete with tundra and F150 on ring gear size...and they already make it. with lockers.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
never happen
Yeah i know about that part but im still looking forward to the possibility to a heavy duty Titan. I just hope Ghosn can get on his "A" game. So even though this deal with Chrysler may be in the can. Maybe someone in the high seats can get to work on something.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I thought I had heard thru the rumor mill that Cummins is no longer going to supply dodge with diesel motors. The uncertainty of the Titan is why I did not buy another Titan and bought the Frontier. My frontier so far gets worse mileage than my Titan did,but my Frontier is just getting broke in with 8,500 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I can't wait to see the Titan Redesign. A new Titan would be one of the only things I would trade my truck in for if they redesign it. The current model is way too far behind the comp.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nissan already announced that they are discontinueing the Armada, QX56 and the Quest to make room for production of commercial vehicles like this:

2008 Nissan NV2500 Concept

So, I imagine they would keep the Titan around and share components between the commercial line and the full size truck line.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts