Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had no idea that Nissan Frontiers had cabin filters... I just read an article about it and when I looked in my vehicles, sure enough both trucks had one.
If you want to know if yours has one, open the glove box, then squeeze in on the back sides of the glove box to release the glove box stops so you can lower the glove box more. You'll need to be able to see behind the glove box to get to the cabin filter.

Over towards the right of the opening, on my vehicles, there's a filter hidden behind a plastic door.
For my truck - a 2017 SV and 2019 SV, the filter part number is: 27277-VR00A.

Look at the attached picture to see what the filter door looks like and how to open it. It comes completely off when removed, so don't be surprised when it comes off in your hand. If you break it or loose it, the door part number is: 27122-EA000 for later model Frontiers.

To remove the filter, you'll need to bend it towards the glove box opening as you're pulling it out in order to get it all the way out. Installation is in reverse.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,452 Posts
Been discussed here many times - a lot of these Frontiers are sold without the filters, though they should have been there from the factory. Mine didn't have them installed on delivery.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Been discussed here many times - a lot of these Frontiers are sold without the filters, though they should have been there from the factory. Mine didn't have them installed on delivery.
I saw that it was discussed here before, but in those posts I read, no one mentioned where the filter was. I thought it a good idea to post with pictures

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Look close, there's two of them crammed in there,dumbest set-up i've ever seen. And try taking a look in your owner manual, you might learn some interesting stuff.
Regarding looking in the owner manual, I was trying to help others by making it easy to find this filter and part numbers. Not everyone has an owner manual.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Good info. If you're looking for a good replacement, I like the Bosch 6014C HEPA filter (currently $29.46 on Amazon). HEPA filter definitely helps with my bad pollen allergies. As someone else mentioned, this is a two piece filter. If you only took out one piece then the other piece is still down in there.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Look close, there's two of them crammed in there,dumbest set-up i've ever seen. And try taking a look in your owner manual, you might learn some interesting stuff.
At least it's easy-to-access and requires no tools. The cabin filter in my first-generation Mazda3 was literally an after-thought. They retrofitted a CAF into a car that wasn't originally designed for one. In order to remove it, you had to disconnect the battery, slide the front passenger seat all the way back, unplug and remove the electrical junction box in the cabin as well as its mounting bracket, remove several interior trim pieces, remove three bolts in the side of the air box, and then you'd see a two-piece set up similar to the Frontier.

The problem is, they're vertical and not horizontal. So you pull out the lower one and the upper one falls down. When it comes to installing the new ones, you slide the upper one in first, push it up, and hold it there with your Houdini powers while sliding the bottom one underneath it.

Then when it's all back together, you have to play "What doesn't work?" and figure out which of the 5 or so electrical plugs on the junction box isn't seated correctly. One time my left turn signal didn't work. Another time, blower speed 4 didn't work. All in all, I could knock it out in about 30-40 minutes.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At least it's easy-to-access and requires no tools. The cabin filter in my first-generation Mazda3 was literally an after-thought. They retrofitted a CAF into a car that wasn't originally designed for one. In order to remove it, you had to disconnect the battery, slide the front passenger seat all the way back, unplug and remove the electrical junction box in the cabin as well as its mounting bracket, remove several interior trim pieces, remove three bolts in the side of the air box, and then you'd see a two-piece set up similar to the Frontier.

The problem is, they're vertical and not horizontal. So you pull out the lower one and the upper one falls down. When it comes to installing the new ones, you slide the upper one in first, push it up, and hold it there with your Houdini powers while sliding the bottom one underneath it.

Then when it's all back together, you have to play "What doesn't work?" and figure out which of the 5 or so electrical plugs on the junction box isn't seated correctly. One time my left turn signal didn't work. Another time, blower speed 4 didn't work. All in all, I could knock it out in about 30-40 minutes.
I just looked again, and in my 2017 Frontier, it looks like there are two filters side by side. You only see one with the door removed, but if you pull that filter out, you can see the other one over to the right. To get that one out, I assume you'd slide it over sideways to the opening, then pull it out.

Does anyone know if someone makes a more rigid filter frame than OEM? Seems like these could get stuck inside if they ever got deformed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just looked again, and in my 2017 Frontier, it looks like there are two filters side by side. You only see one with the door removed, but if you pull that filter out, you can see the other one over to the right. To get that one out, I assume you'd slide it over sideways to the opening, then pull it out.

Does anyone know if someone makes a more rigid filter frame than OEM? Seems like these could get stuck inside if they ever got deformed.
That's correct on the removal.

I can tell you that the Bosch filters I use are NOT any stiffer than OEM. I have a heck of a time replacing them!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I think that's sort of the point. The filters flex and bend a bit so they can be un/installed relatively easily. Since they flex, if they get stuck you can crush them slightly. The filters on my Mazda3 have rigid plastic frames that key into each other, so you have to get them lined up perfectly in order for them to slide in.

·
Registered
2006 Nissan Frontier nismo
31 Posts
When I first got my used Nissan, I noticed a smell coming out of the vents. I tried AC deodorizers, but the smell persisted. Some quick googling, and I discovered that this truck had cabin air filters that need to be changed yearly. None of my previous vehicles had one, so I didn't even think to look there. The filters were easy enough to locate and remove. Look at these nasty things. There were dead bugs, leaves, and about a quarter inch of dust on them. I don't think they've ever been changed No wonder there was a smell.

I put a small air freshener on top of the filters, so clean smelling air is always coming out the vents.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Frontier XE - King Cab, 2.5L, 4x2
2 Posts
ok, I just got an old Fronty a few months ago and have been really enjoying this forum. Been meaning to sign up for an account but was procrastinating, as usual. I had to create one right away after reading this thread and post though.

Your filters do look pretty nasty, but I think I can beat it. I just did mine a couple days ago and it was... interesting, haha. I don't have a picture on me yet, but mine were really bad/weird. I'll try to get a picture soon and upload.

BTW, this is the video I stumbled across that got me thinking about swapping the filters and helped me to know how:
The filters in that video are actually super bad too! I just clicked through it quickly now and I had forgotten how much crap was piled up on them. I guess that is why I was so interested in changing mine after seeing the vid.

And these are the (supposedly carbon) filters I ordered for $10.87 CDN: EPAuto CP553 (CF10553) Replacement for Nissan Premium Cabin Air Filter includes Activated Carbon, Passenger Compartment Air Filters - Amazon Canada
They seemed like cheapo knockoffs grade quality when I first opened the box, but they actually looked 99% similar to the "Nissan" labelled ones I removed, so maybe they are good enough to recommend... I have a feeling the more important thing is just changing the filters at all, rather than worrying too much about quality. Those Bosch ones admittedly do look pretty nice though, despite being $50 CDN: https://www.amazon.ca/Bosch-6014C-HEPA-Cabin-Filter/dp/B01JYSW02Y/

When I first got my used Nissan, I noticed a smell coming out of the vents. I tried AC deodorizers, but the smell persisted. Some quick googling, and I discovered that this truck had cabin air filters that need to be changed yearly. None of my previous vehicles had one, so I didn't even think to look there. The filters were easy enough to locate and remove. Look at these nasty things. There were dead bugs, leaves, and about a quarter inch of dust on them. I don't think they've ever been changed No wonder there was a smell.

I put a small air freshener on top of the filters, so clean smelling air is always coming out the vents.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Before knocking one of the two filters out.

After just one of the two. Safe to say they were definitely in need of changing. But, a week long dusty off road adventure will do that.

I've used wix filters with good results, @bluecheese that's some good thinking about a small air freshener on top!

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Frontier XE - King Cab, 2.5L, 4x2
2 Posts
Something seems to have been living in mine, but at least it didn't die in there! Not only would it have smelled nasty, but I would NOT have liked finding out what that feels like when I stuck my fingers in there to try clearing the blockage while removing. :S

·
Registered
2011 King Cab SV V-6 2WD Longbed
4 Posts
Bought my truck a while back and didn't think to check these until my mechanic said they would be due at next service. I went ahead and changed mine. Not sure much air was getting through...

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
No, not the worst. I did cabin filters on a 2001 Buick Park Avenue once and they took the cake! It's a similar, multiple filter design but goes in to the right of the gas pedal, so you have to get under the dash and fight with the gas pedal to get the filters installed. I'll take the Nissan design over that any day!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Well I did say " that I have ever seen" SMJ. Obivously you have seen many more then I. This is only about the fourth vehicle I've owned that a cabin filter, I did find a brand that had stiffer cardboard sides so it didn't bend so easily when trying to push it over to make room for the second filter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts