Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,254 Posts
Link doesn't work but anything over 1500-2000 pounds a brake controller is a must have. If anything you'd pull has its own brakes then even more so as it's your safety and the truck on the line. Anything heavy that you're pulling will be pushing you as you apply truck only brakes. Takonsha is the brand of choice among the trucks here.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
11,254 Posts
Sure you can pull that but knowing many who start off with a pop up move up to something larger and then that's why you'll want a beefy receiver and 7 pin wiring. It cost less to do it right the first time.
If you buy that good luck and enjoy yourself, you're going to have a great time with it.

Clint

·
Registered
526 Posts
I doubt that has brakes even but I think you should probably check and if it does then I'd just add a brake controller and leave it at that. If it doesn't then I'd check on the weight and see. I've towed 2000 pounds with no problems but I was mostly on flat ground and it wasn't any great distance so I just drove with care and didn't mingle with faster traffic.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I bet it has brakes. Any towed unit over 10000lbs is required to have brakes my law. Commercial or personal.

I am getting rid of my small single place tilt snowmobile trailer because it doesn't have breaks. I hate towing it in the mountains without brakes. I feel the push with less than 700lbs.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've towed all kinds of stuff, not super heavy but definitely way more than 700 pounds and I've never felt anything sketchy feeling except for when the hitch is overloaded. Someone mentioned that weight and a snow-mobile trailer so I'm inclined to think maybe you were in some sketchy driving conditions to begin with? I am pretty sure that pop-up and the truck combined won't even crest 7500 lbs so regardless off whatever states requirements are you are well below anything trailers refer to where it would be mandatory to have a trailer brake. They key here is that you would need to maybe make sure the the trailer load is centered and balanced so that it is not loading too much weight on the hitch or maybe even worse, loaded so its takes weight off the back end. That could definitely make it sketchy feeling fast.

I will say the one time I loaded something on my truck that made it feel sketchy was I had a steel motorcycle hauler that was one of those hitch mounted jobs and it was beefy, definitely weight close to 150 pounds or more because I almost pooped myself more than once moving it. Once I loaded the motorcycle on it I took it for a test drive it took less than a mile to say screw that. That bike was a 919 Hornet, which only weighs around 450 lbs with fuel in it. Combined with the hitch, it was just too much floating too far past the back axle. I am sure I would not have been in jeopardy of lifting the front end but it just didn't feel safe at all, especially if I had to make an evasive turn or something. It 's not a huge deal now that I know, plus all my bikes I would transport that way now are much lighter (DR650 or a Honda NT650) and I would use a lighter ramp as well, but also I usually just roll it into the bed since the height of the Frontier keeps it pretty friendly for loading bikes (and loaded like that I still bust 21 MPG all day long). I just kind of know at some point I am going to want to do a bike and trailer combo and having it in the back of the short bed is a No-go as well. I think when I get to that point its probably going to be time to build that custom tear drop with a couple slots for a bike to strap down---

Something where either the pop up is bolted down to a new trailer (if possible) or a self built tear drop trailer on a longer cargo trailer (like a 12 or 14 foot long light duty hauler).

Something a little like this -

·
Registered
47 Posts
No problem at all

My sister has the same pop-up. She pulled it with an old Ford Econoline van without a brake controller. I've borrowed it a few times pulling with my 07 KC and no controller.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think you will be OK to pull that without a brake controller, a lot of the popups don't have brakes, but I think you could ad the drums and shoes to have electric brakes if you feel you need it. Then you would need the controller. Just remember that you are pulling a 3000 lb weight behind you ,so give plenty of room for stopping and you should be fine. And be careful if you are driving in rain.
My 2016 brakes aren't very good. Dealer says they are normal, I think they suck. I have 20,000 miles now and I am about ready to upgrade my brake pads. If I were to pull a camper locally(50 miles radius) I wouldn't be too concerned about having trailer brakes. I guess if I was going longer distances regularly I would look into adding brakes to the camper just to be safe, but I think the camper is going to be within your towing specs.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think you will be OK to pull that without a brake controller, a lot of the popups don't have brakes, but I think you could ad the drums and shoes to have electric brakes if you feel you need it. Then you would need the controller. Just remember that you are pulling a 3000 lb weight behind you ,so give plenty of room for stopping and you should be fine. And be careful if you are driving in rain.
My 2016 brakes aren't very good. Dealer says they are normal, I think they suck. I have 20,000 miles now and I am about ready to upgrade my brake pads. If I were to pull a camper locally(50 miles radius) I wouldn't be too concerned about having trailer brakes. I guess if I was going longer distances regularly I would look into adding brakes to the camper just to be safe, but I think the camper is going to be within your towing specs.

I'd recommend taking your truck to someone other than the dealership to get the brakes serviced. If you have gone to the dealership already and they didn't fix it then I doubt they'll address it further or much better. Check your fluid and see if it is dark or light colored. With 20K miles it shouldn't be too contaminated, being a 2016. It should still be pretty light colored, and if it isn't then you probably need to get it flushed and bled properly. Mine was dark as hell brand new and the brake pressure at the pedal sucked and would bleed down when sitting at a stop light. Flushed the system and bled the brakes and it was a world of difference.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought the truck at end of April 2016. In june with 2700 miles on it I rear ended a vehicle on the interstate(idiot in front of me came to complete stop in passing lane on road full of traffic). I couldn't stop, if it would have stopped 10 inches sooner we wouldn't have connected. I should have been able to stop as far *** I am concerned, but the truck couldn't. So I had a dealer check it out, they told me brake function was correct. I also took it to my normal dealer at next oil change as I still felt the brakes aren't very good, they also said they are normal. Aside from emergency braking, they just aren't very good for normal driving.I have gotten use to them and drive accordingly but I still don't like how they work. I am going to replace pads all around with something different and see if that helps. I am thinking about the Wagner OEx pads.
As for brake fluid, still looks like new, and at proper level. My pedal is a bit squishy it seems, but Nissan seems happy with them. For a new truck they don't seem adequate

·
Registered
567 Posts
Towing a small popup like that would be a breeze, you will barely notice it is back there....

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I bet it has brakes. Any towed unit over 10000lbs is required to have brakes my law. Commercial or personal.

I am getting rid of my small single place tilt snowmobile trailer because it doesn't have breaks. I hate towing it in the mountains without brakes. I feel the push with less than 700lbs.
Not a law, at least in every state anyway. I think Missouri doesn't require trailer brake on any size trailer. Some states list it as required on any size trailer. In AZ new trailer with over 3000# rating need to have brakes.

My parents 1982 pop-up trailer never had brakes. We towed that thing all across the country. My boat sits on a 6000# rated tandem axle trailer and it was built without brakes. But that is also old enough it is probably grandfathered in before any of the trailer brake laws as well.

And here is the fun part, there are no standards for trailer brakes. One axle or all, no one specifies. Electric, hydraulic, I even know of some that are vacuum. And no specifications exist for how effective the brakes must be either.

I had to do a ton of this research (including reading a bunch of DOT manuals) for work a few years back. Amazing what you find when you actually do proper research instead of what the locals tell you. I laugh when someone from California says how suicidal you are if you ever tow a trailer over 55MPH and that is the law. Come over to AZ sometime, we tow trailers at 80 MPH all across the state and it isn't a problem. Except when we pass someone with a set of California plates doing 55 holding up traffic on the road.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think we've all answered this question once but I literally saw a volvo s60 sedan pulling a POP-up trailer yesterday, so if anyone thinks you need trailer brakes, or there isn't any reason you couldn't pull one safely without brakes......

VOLVO s60 man!!!!!!

Hook it up and go frickin camping, lol...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not a law, at least in every state anyway. I think Missouri doesn't require trailer brake on any size trailer. Some states list it as required on any size trailer. In AZ new trailer with over 3000# rating need to have brakes.

My parents 1982 pop-up trailer never had brakes. We towed that thing all across the country. My boat sits on a 6000# rated tandem axle trailer and it was built without brakes. But that is also old enough it is probably grandfathered in before any of the trailer brake laws as well.

And here is the fun part, there are no standards for trailer brakes. One axle or all, no one specifies. Electric, hydraulic, I even know of some that are vacuum. And no specifications exist for how effective the brakes must be either.

I had to do a ton of this research (including reading a bunch of DOT manuals) for work a few years back. Amazing what you find when you actually do proper research instead of what the locals tell you. I laugh when someone from California says how suicidal you are if you ever tow a trailer over 55MPH and that is the law. Come over to AZ sometime, we tow trailers at 80 MPH all across the state and it isn't a problem. Except when we pass someone with a set of California plates doing 55 holding up traffic on the road.

According to US department of transportation, NHTSA any trailer with a gvwr over 1000lbs manufactured after (forgot year,90s?) has to have trailer brakes. state law may let it slide but I can assure you that if you have an accident, you will wish you had them. Any "negligence" (not having brakes on a trailer required to by law) will cost you.

As for my 700lb sled and trailer, i never said it was sketchy. I said I KNEW it was there. It pushes me forward when slowing. It doesn't have brakes and cannot slow itself and its own rolling inertia is what pushes me forward. As far as trailer being weighted too much on the hitch, it's a tilt sled trailer. Not even possible with its design. Along with the fact I have been loading and hauling correctly for 15 years...

As for my info, I am a class a truck driver who happens to be the safety officer at work. I deal with all the DOT compliance crap at work. Regardless of state law, if you are on ANY road that uses federal funding, you are subject to laws handed down by DOT and other federal agencies.

Not saying you can't tow it, even safely I am sure you could. But I personally wouldn't. Not worth the risk. Even if an accident isn't your fault, it can become your fault if the lack of trailer brakes comes to be known.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts