Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I have the worst case of getting bored with carss. I am test driving a new car right now but I'm really trying to keep it real and remind myself that every time I sell a truck for a car...I end up buying another truck.

Case in point, this is my 2nd Pro-4X and 4th Nissan truck not including the 2 Pathfinders I've owned. I'm a bit of a Nissan fanboy but that's not really important here.

I'm teetering on buying something new or just growing up and being a little more responsible with my spending...we don't have kids so most of our spending money goes to whatever we want it to.

In thinking about buying this vehicle I'm test driving (2016 Mustang GT, man it sounds glorious) I figure I'll be putting at least 10% down and the more I think about it, the more I realize I'd have a really nice off roading rig for that amount of money. Thinking front and rear bumpers, maybe a small lift and possible new wheels (I already need to buy new tires).

This probably sounds like a really stupid thread but I'm wondering if there are others out there that have to fight off the boredom thing and be content with what you have?

:roll::roll::roll:

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I don't usually get bored, if I do I spend some money modifying the vehicle how I want it. Mods cost money but typically less then the lose you'll take selling it and replacing it. That being said I have friends that go through 1 new vehicle a year, buy not lease or finance. That's how I was able to score my pro-4x 10 months old with 8000km for 10K under new pricing at the dealer. I usually try to keep my vehicles for 8 years, however my last Xterra I kept for 10, it still looked and drove like the day it came off the lot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I tend to get attached to my vehicles. I was sad when I traded in the 2000 Explorer I had owned for 11 years for the 2008 Frontier, I'm still pissed at the guy that ran that red light and totaled it, and I'm starting to like this '06 Frontier that I have now.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
After driving an Enterprise loaner, a '16 Ram 2500 4x4 CC w/ 5.7 Hemi for 9 days straight...I love my Frontier more than ever. Though, I bet that Mustang is a hoot!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
if I do I spend some money modifying the vehicle how I want it.
That's what I do.

It's like buying the old wife a new set of b**bs - In the long run, it's MUCH cheaper than trading her in on a different model.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Every time I don't have a truck I really regret it bad. I stay with trucks and I too have been a Nissan fanboy because the suckers run. I use mine to haul trash, (no trash service here), do things around the 80 acres here and in general, I need a truck but I also use it to go explore the desert too. Mustangs do do well in these situations. Lol

·
Registered
360 Posts
Man, I have the worst case of getting bored with carss. I am test driving a new car right now but I'm really trying to keep it real and remind myself that every time I sell a truck for a car...I end up buying another truck.

Case in point, this is my 2nd Pro-4X and 4th Nissan truck not including the 2 Pathfinders I've owned. I'm a bit of a Nissan fanboy but that's not really important here.

I'm teetering on buying something new or just growing up and being a little more responsible with my spending...we don't have kids so most of our spending money goes to whatever we want it to.

In thinking about buying this vehicle I'm test driving (2016 Mustang GT, man it sounds glorious) I figure I'll be putting at least 10% down and the more I think about it, the more I realize I'd have a really nice off roading rig for that amount of money. Thinking front and rear bumpers, maybe a small lift and possible new wheels (I already need to buy new tires).

This probably sounds like a really stupid thread but I'm wondering if there are others out there that have to fight off the boredom thing and be content with what you have?

:roll::roll::roll:
Hi: BurninChrome... Boring is good in some cases!!! How much stuff can you load into the back of that Stang GT any who? My mid life crisis car was a '98 New Beetle. Most fun vehicle I ever had... but wouldn't hold a 100 bucks worth of groceries in the trunk. Just yesterday I marvelled at how tight my 2010 tow truck really is. Tight is good in some cases too!!!
CanNissan N.S. of Lake Erie:hi:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I walked away from the deal and I felt good about that decision. I may splurge and get one of those aluminum bumpers from Hefty. We've got some good off road areas here in N. Ga.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Like the others have commented. I use a truck all the time. Mine is not a daily driver but I sure would miss not having it.
If you decide that you want to expand your Frontier's horizons you might want to visit Went Windrock in east Tennessee this September. The east coast national Nissan event. About 3-1/2 hours from Cummings

WENT WINDROCK WEBSITE

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
This might be a bit more of a philosophical answer than you were looking for, but I think life is more enjoyable when you learn to be happy with what you have rather than always wishing you had something else. If you got another car, how long would you feel happy with it?

Having said that, my truck is an awful lot of fun and I can't see myself ever getting bored with it. I'm also one of those people who tends to get attached to vehicles. I've had my daily driver for 11 years and have put nearly 200K miles on it, and I'm not looking forward to the day that I need to replace it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My '16 SV V6 Crew Cab is a semi-daily driver and work horse. Used it a few weeks ago to tow 2 motorcycles to Raton. Pulled great, decent MPG as long as I drove and not my son ::wink:: Good for picking up a few bales of hay and feed and other chores where a truck serves best. I'm down to just one horse and don't need anything bigger. 'Course I've got the luxury of borrowing my son's Chevy Silverado 4x4 if I do.

I'm taking it on a trip to Gulfport. My wife likes the truck, easier to manuver than the 3/4 and 1/2 tons I've had in the past. She'd drive my Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton with MT, but only if she had to, enjoys the Frontier much more. I'll eventually modify with a camper shell, fog lights, and a few other things, but basically keep it OEM.

It's a keeper ::smile::

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This might be a bit more of a philosophical answer than you were looking for, but I think life is more enjoyable when you learn to be happy with what you have rather than always wishing you had something else. If you got another car, how long would you feel happy with it?

I've owned a lot of vehicles and that's the absolute truth. Probably why I keep trading. I'm going to spend some time looking at other people's builds and reading through the mods section. This is my daily so I need to keep it usable but I think I'm going to replace front and rear bumpers, give it a small lift and join one of the many 4x4 clubs around here. I like getting off road even though I don't much. I think the Pro-4X is pretty capable too, I'm not looking to rock crawl. I wouldn't mind an expedition setup with a tent over the bed rack. I think having a plan and modding to that plan will be pretty fun.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sorry lil late to the party. I have 2 kids, , I love my Fronty & I too like to change rigs like my underwear. I would keep my Fronty and buy the Mustang. In your situation no kids would give me plenty of cash to cover the payments for the two years I would keep it. Then I could use the equity on the next toy,
https://powersports.honda.com/africatwin.aspx
:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry lil late to the party. I have 2 kids, , I love my Fronty & I too like to change rigs like my underwear. I would keep my Fronty and buy the Mustang. In your situation no kids would give me plenty of cash to cover the payments for the two years I would keep it. Then I could use the equity on the next toy,

https://powersports.honda.com/africatwin.aspx

:thumbup:

Yeah, I've got a Ducati Multistrada and 2001 Mustang Convertible that take some fundage.

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
I bought a 1997 Hardbody/KC/SE/4x2/AT brand new for $16,500 right before the Frontiers came out later that year. It was painted in Autumn Sunburst (code AR0) and I installed most of the dealer accessories that were available except for the wood grain kit, which I thought was a bit tacky. It had the Nissan tow hitch, mats, over-the-rail bed liner, keyless entry/alarm system, hood deflector, fog lamps, air bag anti-theft, tailgate anti-theft and 3-CD changer. It was good to work for the dealer and get everything at cost+10%! I later upgraded to an Aiwa AM/FM/CASS/CD deck with Infinity component speakers in the front doors and Sony Explodes on the rear cab wall. While I would've preferred the VG30E, which wasn't available in 97, and an LSD rear diff, I really enjoyed that truck while I had it. It was comfortable, tunes sounded good and gas mileage wasn't terrible. I replaced the tapping hydraulic lifters twice under warranty and the distributor once under warranty and had to replace the center support for the driveshaft. Otherwise, it was trouble-free for the first 200,000 miles and 9-years. The vehicle didn't owe me a dime for what it cost. Then, the fuel injector harness shorted on the edge of the cylinder head and the wires melted together in the main harness all the way to the ignition switch. I tried to get a new main harness, but, after 18 months of waiting, I gave up and eventually sold it for $600. It still had the original brakes in the rear and original exhaust. I got 70,000 miles out of the first set of Firestone tires that came from the factory. I might still have the truck, today, if not for the harness issue. Those old Hardbodies were great trucks!

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's funny, I remember those woodgrain kits. Very popular then to add them to a dash. You must take it pretty easy on a vehicle to get that many miles out of a set of tires. Mine are almost wore out at 23,000 miles for the stock BF Goodrich that came on the Pro-4X.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I "feel" a bit bored with mine every so often, but all it takes for me to like it again is being away from it for a bit. It's my daily so I start to take things for granted. When you are forced to daily drive something else (like the Suzuki Samurai I borrowed for a week) you'll welcome back your "boring" truck with open arms. Same goes for a vacation, once you get back home you are happy to see the truck waiting for you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts