Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Frontier S 4x4 Crew Cab
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want newbies that go to our trails for the first time to learn proper etiquette. One that is a huge pet peeve of mine is seeing litter and garbage all over what would otherwise be a beautiful place. If we want to keep our trails and public lands open we need to take responsibility ourselves and make sure they stay clean!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,191 Posts
Everyone should police their own stuff but there is always an *** who just doesn’t care. If you have a trash bag with room in it I’d pick up some debris, not happily but every thing removed helps.
Me with my big mouth and as I age, currently 62 will gladly get in someone’s face more than I ever did years ago. Almost always when called on it they will pick up their crap, rarely do they ignore it and leave it there. My wife asked what’s happened to me. I said I’m getting old and grouchy.
I yelled at a guy who dropped a lit cigarette right after exiting his car which was right next to the sand bucket to pick it up, he said F you so I picked it up and threw it in his open Mustangs window. He yelled some more but I said I told you told pick it up and you weren’t nice so keep messing with the crazy old man and you’ll regret it. Boy that chubby guy could run back to that car quickly.
We cant carry in NJ but I do have a jumbo sized can of Mace with purple luminescent dye in my pocket Just for these special occasions.

Clint
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Unfortunately in some of the foothills around the Front Range here in Colorado the battle is already lost. Unbelievable what the last 10 years has brought here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
I would estimate that about 5% of people go through life without a conscience and just don't care about the results of their actions...good or bad. The other 95% spend their lives cleaning up the messes the 5% makes...while cussing and being pissed off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
It's really sad, but there is a ton of trash left on trails, shooting spots, camp spots, etc. People just don't give a crap anymore. :mad:

We almost always come back with more than we took - even if we don't pick everything up we try to leave it a little better than it was when we got there.
 

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Frontier S 4x4 Crew Cab
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While I can appreciate the grumpy old man tactic I definitely dont condone violence over trash. Does it make me feel like kickin some butt? Hell yes, but it ain't worth the fight over it. I would however make a comment as I too have a mouth that's unfiltered lol.
 

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Frontier S 4x4 Crew Cab
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately in some of the foothills around the Front Range here in Colorado the battle is already lost. Unbelievable what the last 10 years has brought here.
It's really that bad in Colorado? What changed?
 

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Frontier S 4x4 Crew Cab
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would estimate that about 5% of people go through life without a conscience and just don't care about the results of their actions...good or bad. The other 95% spend their lives cleaning up the messes the 5% makes...while cussing and being pissed off.
I would agree lol
 

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Frontier S 4x4 Crew Cab
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's really sad, but there is a ton of trash left on trails, shooting spots, camp spots, etc. People just don't give a crap anymore. :mad:

We almost always come back with more than we took - even if we don't pick everything up we try to leave it a little better than it was when we got there.
All it takes is 1 bad influence to start the trash wars.
 

·
Registered
2005 Nismo Frontier
Joined
·
27 Posts
It's pretty rare to catch someone in the act but I'll let them know they're a piece of **** if I do. They're usually miserable people too caught up in their own rabid narcissist mindset to even consider doing the right thing so that's something to keep in mind. I typically have a couple bags with me for the doggos when I go out so I'll pick up some of the more obvious trash if I see it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
If I'm out plinking, I pick up brass and shot shells. If I'm driving on the trails and I see something noticeable from the drivers seat it gets picked up. Wherever we make camp gets trash picked up as well. Its exhausting and infuriating.

I make a habit of mentioning trash to everyone we run into and actually talk to on the trails and offer extra bags to folks so they can pick up things they see as well. Sometimes it falls on deaf ears I'm sure, but hopefully a few of those folks also help.
 

·
Rogue Admin
Joined
·
13,172 Posts
I pick up extra garbage if I come across it and also participate in a few organized clean-ups in my local community; it gets me and the boys out in the truck and it teaches them an appreciation for the outdoors.

On top of that, I clean up around this forum everyday, for the better of the community. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,943 Posts
I pick up extra garbage if I come across it and also participate in a few organized clean-ups in my local community; it gets me and the boys out in the truck and it teaches them an appreciation for the outdoors.
On top of that, I clean up around this forum everyday, for the better of the community. ;)
Keeping our outdoors policed is definitely important work, as mentioned, it doesn't take much refuse to make an otherwise idyllic spot look completely trashed. Thanks to all who worry about such things, and thanks Zedbra for keeping the forum free of electronic vomit as well. Some folk who'd sweet as pie to your face, in real life, turn into real buttheads given the anonymity of a keyboard. Funny how that works.

And as Skinny mentioned, I always police up my brass too, at the range or just blasting away some in the woods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
947 Posts
I ALWAYS keep a black garbage bag in the backpack/truck just for this.... lots of white claws lately on the dirt roads... also tweaker camps with cigs, meth pipes, bottles/cans, etc.... in the end i feel karma will pay us back for keeping the Earf clean .... or at least trying too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,819 Posts
If I am on the trail I almost never stop to pick up trash. At camp-yes. If I am stopped and out of the truck (or stuck)-yes.

I live in a tourist area. It is unbelievable the amount of trash left on the beaches around Lake Tahoe. After every 4th of July there is a local clean up, and thousands of pounds of trash gets pick up. Way to celebrate our Country by trashing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I really want newbies that go to our trails for the first time to learn proper etiquette. One that is a huge pet peeve of mine is seeing litter and garbage all over what would otherwise be a beautiful place. If we want to keep our trails and public lands open we need to take responsibility ourselves and make sure they stay clean!
At times I am a trash gathering fool, if people are going to throw the stuff out throw it on the shoulder so I do not go down the bank to get it.
One of the unintended( don't think the PTB cares) consequences of the "open container - Law( rule whatever the hell you want to call it) is an explosion of beer empties along the road, beverage containers and fast food containers make up perhaps 98% of the litter around here.
 

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
Joined
·
1,914 Posts
Back when I used to fish damn near on the daily, any and every place I'd wet the line would be left cleaner than it was when I got there.
My mom taught me a valuable lesson when I was just a snot nosed kid. Through the rear view mirror she saw me throw a candy wrapper out of the window and busted a u turn and made me pick it up. When I said that I couldn't find it she said "You BETTER find that sh*t if you don't want me to tell your dad!"
I found it within a matter of seconds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
I would estimate that about 5% of people go through life without a conscience and just don't care about the results of their actions...good or bad. The other 95% spend their lives cleaning up the messes the 5% makes...while cussing and being pissed off.
unfortunately I'd say it's closer to 25% trash everything and 75% are left to pick their garbage up. It really makes me mad/depressed :mad::mad::mad:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top