Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok girls n guys
If I put some type of Traction Bar or Tramp rod on my rear springs will that stiffen the ride any. I have looked online and there are so many different types and lengths.
Years ago used to run the under spring bars that pushed up onto the bottom of the spring and they worked well but didnt change the ride at all.
Do the new types like CalTrac or PRG change the ride ?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The CalTrac style won't change the ride until you hit the gas and have some axle wrap. They are designed to basically hang in place until they are engaged.

The PRG ones will slight affect the ride but to a point where it is almost zero affect. Once again thou, once you hit the gas and have some axle wrap, they will shine.

The one down side to the PRG ones is that they are a fixed length and work on a pendulum theory. This is why they are pretty long. This length keeps them from binding when the suspension flexes but I am unsure how much flex they can safely handle (flex as in one wheel up on a rock and the other in a ditch).

·
Registered
741 Posts
Or anyone got slapper bars? What is everyone running and where do you guys get them from?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ditch my leaf springs and linked mine :)
Piccies
I have always thought an A Bar setup would be perfect but with out rego rules mmm

·
Registered
9,344 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
The one down side to the PRG ones is that they are a fixed length and work on a pendulum theory. This is why they are pretty long. This length keeps them from binding when the suspension flexes but I am unsure how much flex they can safely handle (flex as in one wheel up on a rock and the other in a ditch).
I'm not sure why he didn't just use a shackle mount, it would remove any chance of binding and would be just as simple to setup.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I'm not sure why he didn't just use a shackle mount, it would remove any chance of binding and would be just as simple to setup.
How would he use a shackle mount? If he did this in front, it would force the wheel to have some much twist that the bar wouldn't work.

PRG built in some give since he used bushings and not double heims.

XterraHines: Slapper bars can not be used on a spring over axle for the most part. They only work on spring under set-ups like you have but they do not work when you have a bit of arch in the springs.

Mustard: I like the idea of links but most don't have the money or down time to run that set-up. Plus, doesn't the gas tank get in the way of some set-ups?

·
Registered
144 Posts
How would he use a shackle mount? If he did this in front, it would force the wheel to have some much twist that the bar wouldn't work.

Allows the bar to lengthen and shorten but does not allow the axle to rotate, simple and effective. you see these on jeeps all the time because they don't have room for mile long bars but I'm a big fan of the Bam Bar because it does not affect ground clearance in anyway.

http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/bambar/images/DCP_0890.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts