Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone out there is having a problem with their in-channel deflectors preventing the windows from rolling up. I asked about them at my local parts dept today, and the tech strongly recommended I not get in-channels. He said that Nissan vehicles are notorious for in-channels preventing the power windows from rolling up, by engaging the safety feature which apparently automatically rolls the windows back down when hitting an obstruction (e.g., kiddie fingers). The salesman concurred stating that he had a similar problem with an Altima. I've read a couple of comments about them initially preventing the window from easily closing, but have not seen anyone stating they got rid of them because they were consistently preventing normal window operation.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've only had in-channel visors on my vehicles as I think the outside mounted ones look pretty awful (just my opinion), but I've never had ANY problems with the power windows not operating properly. Obviuosly the first time you put them on and roll up the window, it'll be a tight fit but that's what helps them seal.

~On a side note, when I got my lift put on, there was a guy buying some vent visors and he said he'll never go back to the in-channels because the one on the drivers side came off when a rock hit it on the freeway, causing it to come loose and hit his wife (the driver) in the face. I've never heard of anything like that happening before, neither did the guy at the counter. I guess there's a worse case scenario for everything.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Alright the only way inchannels are gonna effect the windows like that is through inproper installation. I know this first hand, i was retarded and installed the rear window inchannels wrong and had to push them out to be able to roll up the window. Then i called the company and said they were broke, got new ones installed them correctly and they've been awesome ever since.

·
Registered
100 Posts
~On a side note, when I got my lift put on, there was a guy buying some vent visors and he said he'll never go back to the in-channels because the one on the drivers side came off when a rock hit it on the freeway, causing it to come loose and hit his wife (the driver) in the face.
I'm thinking either this is SO bizzare that it could possibly have happened with outside channels too, or even mabyee he didn't adhere them correctly.

anyways i love mine, i've never had them before on old trucks, i have them now, and they look awesome, clean as can be. :noworries:

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
~On a side note, when I got my lift put on, there was a guy buying some vent visors and he said he'll never go back to the in-channels because the one on the drivers side came off when a rock hit it on the freeway, causing it to come loose and hit his wife (the driver) in the face. I've never heard of anything like that happening before, neither did the guy at the counter. I guess there's a worse case scenario for everything.
Wow, I bet this guy's neuro-linguistic programing was off the charts (body language while telling a lie).

I'm not trying to discredit you at all Wyldcat, just the guy that told you this story. Yeah, it could be a freak accident, but it wouldn't stop me from buying/installing in-channel visors.

jgib01, I love mine. The windows roll up fine, I can hear that it's a tight fit once the window closes, but the windows function just fine. The only thing I've noticed is the final inch of the window closing is slower than normal speed. But again, everything works great and I love having them. The in-channel are a lot better looking IMO too.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Mine work perfectly but it sounds like they are steering you away from in channels so that you would buy the OEM which are stick on (I bought a pair of OEM and they looked hideous and had to return them due to the ugly factor).

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have the AVS in channels, I like them and think they look really good. Make sure you clean inside the channel and use the alcohol so the adhesive sticks though. Word of advice if you get them before you put them on (on AVS ones anyway): Put an extra strip of adhesive on both the rears, on the left perpendicular side (as you look at them). My windows kept hitting that side since it had no adhesive tape to attach it to the window. However, they never would roll back down. I agree with 2WD NISMO, I think that they are just trying to get you to buy the OEMs, which are FUGLY, in my opinion.

·
Registered
373 Posts
When I put my Weathertechs in I had very slow operation for about 3 days. After that, good as new. Guess they needed a lil time to seat themselves proprely or "break in" so to speak.

WeatherTech Automotive Accessories - Side Window Deflectors - 2009 Nissan Frontier - WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

I have had mine for 2 yrs. now and the only "problem" I've had is that recently (within the last month) I'll get a bit of a rattle when I close the driver side door. So far, it's hit or miss, so not enough for me to take them out yet.

On a side note, I have a KC, so I can't comment on the back windows.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
When I put my Weathertechs in I had very slow operation for about 3 days. After that, good as new. Guess they needed a lil time to seat themselves proprely or "break in" so to speak.
x2 . . Weathertechs here and love them.
Nothing stuck on my paint to have to wax around and they are really low profile which I think looks better then the big bloated round ones.

Never had a problem with operation after the first "roll up" after install.
Mine will make a little bit of a creaking noise right before they bottom out in the channel (on roll up).
The windows work perfectly with the in-channels on my truck, no problems here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I actually just purchased my in-channel window visors. I was skeptical of them not working right as well.. but ive had them for about 2 weeks now and haven't had any issues with them. they were a breeze to install too! plus, the stick on ones just look cheap i think. I'd go with the inchannel ones :noworries:

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I have gotten a little chatter when it gets freakishly cold here. I don't know if a sunny destination like yours (Lethbridge) will get that cold.
Some people feel the back piece can look a little weird being so short. It is pretty much the same length as the little back piece on my King Cab.

Are you planning on getting one for the moon roof(assuming you have one on that Blinged out LE)?

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for the replies folks. I really do believe the parts guy was being genuine as to what he thought. They sell both the in-channel ones (aren't the ones Nissan sells made by Weathertech?) and the stick-ons.

I had to do a bit of a double-take at your location Phil, as I don't think a whole lot of other folks on here are going to be referring to Lethbridge as a "sunny destination." I've never been to the Yukon in the winter (only in July), but imagine if they can survive a Yukon winter there'll be no problem here. Haven't thought much about the moon roof one yet... so many accessories, so little money ;)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
in channel,voids warranty on widow motor and regulator,i know as it cost me out of pocket,,per nissan before any warranty on those parts,the channel is to be inspected for signs of in channel visors have ever been installed. this comes from nissan corp.also because i fought it. beware....

·
Super Moderator
19,582 Posts
in channel,voids warranty on widow motor and regulator,i know as it cost me out of pocket,,per nissan before any warranty on those parts,the channel is to be inspected for signs of in channel visors have ever been installed. this comes from nissan corp.also because i fought it. beware....
That's the chance we take when we mod something. I wouldn't expect Nissan to pay for something that I may have broken by something I added to my truck.

·
Rogue Admin
12,849 Posts
i bought my OEM in-channels from my nissan dealer, they were on my truck before i picked it up off the lot. would like to see them argue warranty over that

·
Registered
427 Posts
Wow, I bet this guy's neuro-linguistic programing was off the charts (body language while telling a lie).

I'm not trying to discredit you at all Wyldcat, just the guy that told you this story. Yeah, it could be a freak accident, but it wouldn't stop me from buying/installing in-channel visors.
The guy buying the visors didn't make any sense cuz rocks are kicked up all the time and as you said, if this happened, it could've happened to outside mounted visors as well. Just a bit of weirdness I thought I'd pass on.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i bought my OEM in-channels from my nissan dealer, they were on my truck before i picked it up off the lot. would like to see them argue warranty over that
That's kinda what I was thinking too. Why would Nissan sell something that voids it's own warranty? Looking more closely at the 2 websites, it seems that the ones shown on the US site are stick-ons and the ones on the .ca site are in-channels. Maybe we can only get OEM in channels north of the border.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts