Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2009 pro4-x with 60k on it. It's in great shape..after joining this forum the other day I see everyone is talking about the radiator/transmission issue. Do I Realy need to do this? I would rather not mess with the truck and just drive it. The threads talking about this are so long and cluttered so I figured I'd start my own and get a few opinions on what I should do.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes you do. This is a VERY well documented problem with multiple makes/models of vehicles. This was very common in the older Honda Pilots as well. Truly... it is not a matter of if it will fail, but when. It's a ticking time bomb that can be disabled...

·
Premium Member
6,448 Posts
Better to address this issue than to wish you had. If this was my truck...I'd get an aftermarket radiator and install it.

Reactions: Blue Devil

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Do I Realy need to do this?
You need to cowboy up, plunk down a little bit of cash, set aside a Saturday or Sunday, and install a new replacement radiator.

Bypassing the existing in-the-radiator ATF cooler cripples the transmission's ability to get rid of heat. The external ATF cooler is just a supplement to the in-the-radiator cooler - It's not big enough to do the job by itself.

At 60K, you could probably stand some fresh antifreeze and new radiator hoses anyway. Use this radiator replacement as an opportunity to also take care of those tasks.

·
Banned
37 Posts
I just purchased a 2009 pro4-x with 60k on it. It's in great shape..after joining this forum the other day I see everyone is talking about the radiator/transmission issue. Do I Realy need to do this? I would rather not mess with the truck and just drive it. The threads talking about this are so long and cluttered so I figured I'd start my own and get a few opinions on what I should do.
The things I've read say you start approaching the danger zone around 80k. I was proactive and replaced mine with an all aluminum. If you do your research, it effects several Nissan models and folks are saying it costs up to 4k to replace the tranny and radiator. I spent 350 on a new radiator instead. Does it happen to all models? No. Are you one of the lucky ones?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just put a deposit down on a '06 with low miles and I've budgeted the funds for a new rad. This issue really has my attention and for the peace of mind I'm going to do it.

Mark B
Louisville

·
Banned
37 Posts
I just put a deposit down on a '06 with low miles and I've budgeted the funds for a new rad. This issue really has my attention and for the peace of mind I'm going to do it.

Mark B
Louisville
You know what has my attention? That you're buying a ten year old truck. That has my attention.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I would also suggest to go ahead & replace ALL the fluids. Im talking the engine oil, coolant, trans fluid, rear diff, the works. That way you know for a FACT that everything has been changed, then you can keep up with future changes from that point forward. It may be a bit of a PITA & a bit expensive up front, but its good & cheap insurance.

And, this is just my opinion, I would go with the Nissan blue long life coolant if you happen to have the green. Cant remember when they changed from green to blue but I would run distilled water thru the system several times till it comes out clear then refill with the blue. From my understanding, the blue has better cooling properties than the green &, as the name suggests, lasts longer as well. Again, just my .02 on the subject.

If you do decide to change the trans fluid, don't do a power flush. There's been quite a few people that have had that done to their trucks then the transmission starts to act up. There's also those that have had it flushed several times & have never had a problem afterwards. Me personally, I would just do a drain & refill then maybe a thousand or so miles later do it again. I've just heard too many horror stories about people having issues with their transmissions after having that done. Plus, if you do the drain & refill yourself, you are the one that did it & you know that it was done the right way.

Last suggestion I have is to install a trans temp gauge. There's a write up on installing one here on the forum, just do a search & you'll find it easy enough. I know you have a 4x4, & most people (including myself) installed the gauge where the 4x4 selector is since we're 4x2. However, Im almost positive several people that installed their gauge were 4x4 as well.

Anyways, congrats on the new to you truck & also welcome to the forum! :smile:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So just replacing the radiator with a better brand would solve the problem all togeather? Assuming I don't already have damage lol

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
So just replacing the radiator with a better brand would solve the problem all togeather? Assuming I don't already have damage lol
That's correct, it can even be a OEM radiator all the 2010 and newer have addressed the problem. Or you can get a CSF all aluminium radiator like a couple of us have. I have a manual so i didn't have to worry about this issue. But after 10yrs my radiator was starting to split where the coil tabs met the plastic top.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'm glad you asked this question, because this has been haunting my thoughts as well. The threads are cluttered and I decided I do not want to do the bypass. I am not sure of the exact part that fails, but if all I have to do is replace the radiator as a preventative measure I am all up for it.

My question to you all is (I know this is answered somewhere in CF a thousand times), where does the failure occur?

Also, what is the biggest tire I can install without rubbing if I have 6 in. lift? :nana: JUST KIDDING! Happy Friday my fellow Frontier owners!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm glad you asked this question, because this has been haunting my thoughts as well. The threads are cluttered and I decided I do not want to do the bypass. I am not sure of the exact part that fails, but if all I have to do is replace the radiator as a preventative measure I am all up for it.

My question to you all is (I know this is answered somewhere in CF a thousand times), where does the failure occur?

Also, what is the biggest tire I can install without rubbing if I have 6 in. lift? :nana: JUST KIDDING! Happy Friday my fellow Frontier owners!

There are a couple of Youtube videos about it.

Generally of people showing the milkshake, some describing and showing where it occurs and urging others to report their issue to the National Highway Administration to try to get a recall.

It might've been links for an Xterra but it's basically the same thing.

If I recall and gathered correctly, if you look at the radiator from the bottom of the truck, the drain plug is to the right. On the opposite side, left side, is another tube that leads to the transmission cooler(?). There's a seal in that tube/or on that side that eventually fails and leads to the leakage.

Can't search youtube right now but try doing a search for cross contamination nissan or something like that on youtube and it should come up. In some videos, people put that part in the water to show where the leak is coming from.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts