Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All--

My 2012 Fronty, 4-cyl engine, seems to have clutch slippage. Hard to downshift into first if I am moving at all. Starting off in first it takes a long time to start rolling, even with my foot all the way off the pedal.

I don't see anyplace to top off the clutch fluid, so I'm assuming that the clutch uses the brake fluid reservoir. But brake fluid is clean and full, so that's not it. What's next? Bleed the clutch line? Possibly air getting in somewhere? Will I need a new master cylinder?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Jeff

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
No,it does not use the brake master cylinder.
You have a clutch master cylinder and a clutch slave cylinder.
The master cylinder is on the firewall,low by the pedal.Your slave is on the bell housing.
If either one is faulty,it would be difficult to disengage your clutch, not cause slippage.
I think you need a new clutch.

When you take off,do you smell the clutch slipping?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Whistler, for your helpful reply. I knew there was a separate master and slave cylinder for the clutch; I just thought the fluid was held for both brake and clutch in the brake fluid reservoir. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

I don't smell the clutch when it is slipping, but that doesn't mean much, because at my age my sense of smell is almost gone :) I'm lucky to have a pretty good independent mechanic; sounds like it's time to let her have at it.

Thanks again!

Jeff

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
If it is actually slipping, it sounds like you need a new clutch. Hopefully it is just your master or slave.
I blew my clutch with less than 6k on the truck. I am old too but you would definitely smell burning clutch!

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sitting in your driveway, press clutch to floor, start truck, put in 6th gear, release pedal. If truck does not stall your clutch is toast. Sorry, to tell you the job is a *****. BTDT. Hope it is only your hydraulics...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts