Does this look correct?

• Yes

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So when I was having to deal with the flat tire episode, and the subsequent moving of spare to wheel. I happened to noticed my rear diff looked a bit off.

This picture doesn't do it justice, there is a lot more than it shows and it is very sloppy. My question, do the differentials standardly come with this much sealant/gasket maker on the drain plugs from the factory, or do you think muscle headed gorrilla-von-hobo decide to strip the threads and then use extra RTV sealant/gasket maker to cover up the mess?

I have not yet checked the drain plug, but as it stands I don't think I should mess with it without having a spare cover to install.
Edit: changed to the correct axle type thanks bngnx4!
Your thoughts, and also does anyone have any good recommendations for replacement rear diff covers for stock C200K rear axles? Preferably for a reasonable cost.
IMG_20201211_123903516.jpg

·
Registered
694 Posts
Mine don’t look like dat. Looks like someone used your differential as a rag after putting sealant on the threads.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Looks fine to me. I was surprised as well when I first saw that sealant job. Even brand new Frontiers on the lot looked similar. Pretty sure the robot at the factory that applies RTV on the drainplugs must've gone on vacation and they had a human take over for a few shifts.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
So when I was having to deal with the flat tire episode, and the subsequent moving of spare to wheel. I happened to noticed my rear diff looked a bit off.

This picture doesn't do it justice, there is a lot more than it shows and it is very sloppy. My question, do the differentials standardly come with this much sealant/gasket maker on the drain plugs from the factory, or do you think muscle headed gorrilla-von-hobo decide to strip the threads and then use extra RTV sealant/gasket maker to cover up the mess?

I have not yet checked the drain plug, but as it stands I don't think I should mess with it without having a spare cover to install.

Your thoughts, and also does anyone have any good recommendations for replacement rear diff covers for stock M226 rear axels? Preferably for a reasonable cost. View attachment 326188
Guessing someone check the rear diff fluid?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That is not an M226 differential. You have a C200
Never took a look at it more than a glance, outside taking the photo, thanks for the info. I haven't had to put the truck on ramps yet, I'll be able to get pictures of them for my records. I try and keep a photo record of any parts I may need to know when ordering replacements/ect.

Guessing someone check the rear diff fluid?
Not yet, that's from the factory.

Overall everyone thanks for the input, just hadn't seen a Diff plug install look this sloppy before.

Edit:
The reason for my concern was that from another angle it looked like the RTV sealant was gushing out the bottom of where it was threaded in(no pics)

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
mine looked just like that from the factory. and pretty much just like that after I reapplied RTV myself lol

·
Registered
495 Posts
+1 on normal. Mine looked like that from the factory

·
Premium Member
6,410 Posts
Yep, normal-ish...and will totally understand your reaction to this kind of unprofessional sloppiness.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Instead of using RTV silicone like the factory does, try a few drops of blue loctite, much less messy and seals up the plug much better.

·
Premium Member
6,410 Posts
You might need some extra help to break through the Blue Loktite the next time you loosen it IE air wrench or a longer breaker bar. Betting Loktite has a color that is not quite this strong but that can still be unsealed w/ hand tools.
Stay away from Red Loktite as quite a bit of heat is required to loosen it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You might need some extra help to break through the Blue Loktite the next time you loosen it IE air wrench or a longer breaker bar. Betting Loktite has a color that is not quite this strong but that can still be unsealed w/ hand tools.
Stay away from Red Loktite as quite a bit of heat is required to loosen it.
I hear ya, thanks, but you don't need to worry about me, the worst I've ever had to do with a vehicle is kick a breaker bar to break a damn drain plug's seal for a Honda rear diff while it was on ramps. The gorillas installed that one.

And when I worked behind drill rigs there were many times where we needed 15ft or more of leverage, sometimes with more than one person pushing. That $#!T was CRAZY.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts