Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was trying to figure out a way to make some semi-permanent mounting points for the utili-trac. This is what I came up with.

This mod is simple to do with 1 wrench and about $10's worth of hardware that can be found at Home Depot.

Items you will need:

Spring Nuts (can be found in electrical section of Home Depot)

Square Washers (can be found next to spring nuts)

2" Eye Bolts w/ nuts (found in hardware section)

The spring nuts and washers came in packs of 5 so I bought 1 package of each and 5 Eye Bolts.

Step 1: Assemble your materials

Step 2: tighten nut on eye bolt to about halfway up the threads, and place the washer on. Then thread the spring nut onto the eye bolt.

Step 3:Place your newly assembled part in the Utili-trac just like the stock adjustable cleats. Then while holding the eyebolt use a wrench (9/16 in my case) to tighten the nut on the eyebolt. Then you are ready to use

Step 4: Stand back and enjoy!

I have not done serious load testing on these yet, but I did drive around with them mounted for a week (4 days of which i was offroading down extremly bumpy roads) and they didn't budge. They are perfect for quick tie down points and don't look bad. Plus you don't have to worry about people stealing them (even if they did they are cheap to replace).

I hope you all enjoyed my first write up!

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My Shovel Holder

I look forward to seeing what people mount using these, I used the same washers and spring nuts along with a 1" bolt and a conduit holder to make a quick (and sturdy, I tested it) mount for my mini shovel. however it looks pretty cheap (IMO) so I'm planning to make something more presentable.

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
someone should sticky this.

and who ever it was in the other thread that said it was BS when I said you coule make tie downs for $4 needs to read this..
:laugh:

That was my motivation for making this post.

·
Registered
48 Posts
clever! good one on ya

·
Registered
113 Posts
I plan on making a few of these, but I couldn't find any Spring Nuts at the Local Home Depot (or Rona, or Totem, up here in Canada for that matter), so it looks like I'll need to order some online. Any tips on what to order? From what I can find on Uni-strut's website, it looks like there's 3 sizes of channel,s 13/16, 1 1/4, and 1 5/8, then various sizes of channel nuts from there. Since I won't be able to fit, and return easily, tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
someone should sticky this.

and who ever it was in the other thread that said it was BS when I said you coule make tie downs for $4 needs to read this..
:laugh:

That was my motivation for making this post.
dude i, too went to home depot after reading mustard's post but i guess i am not as smart as you because i cannot find any of those spring nut things. which home depot did you go to?

·
Registered
994 Posts
thats pretty cool...all i need is the utility trac...haha

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
dude i, too went to home depot after reading mustard's post but i guess i am not as smart as you because i cannot find any of those spring nut things. which home depot did you go to?
electrical Isle near the conduit, I think I posted up these tie downs a year ago. I used 1/2 eye bolts so you need to grind down the spring nuts for them to fit in the bottom and front track

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Do you mean grind the actual spring down? All I did was cut the spring with a pair of diagonal cutters.
No the back of the nuts, after you pull the springs off. A few of the 1/2 nuts fit, but some don't. So after I pull the springs off, I grind them a little thinner, and paint them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I plan on making a few of these, but I couldn't find any Spring Nuts at the Local Home Depot (or Rona, or Totem, up here in Canada for that matter), so it looks like I'll need to order some online. Any tips on what to order? From what I can find on Uni-strut's website, it looks like there's 3 sizes of channel,s 13/16, 1 1/4, and 1 5/8, then various sizes of channel nuts from there. Since I won't be able to fit, and return easily, tips would be greatly appreciated.
Obviously you can't find Spring Nuts in Canada, they're illegal up there!
I'll send you some for $20/Ea.

Hehee, Let me know!

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Check again at home depot. The one in my area has them. You can also get them from any electrical supplier.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i have no use for them (my factory cleats are still in a box somewhere), but they are pretty cool, good job

·
Registered
81 Posts
Anyone load test these yet?? Once my truck is done I need to haul my r6

1 - 20 of 103 Posts