Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered in various other fashions, but I found this to be the easiest way if you lack welding and fab tools. I'm also cheap...

Home Depot
Total Cost was $5

1) I bought one 7" full threaded 1/2 hex bolt. You could probably do 6", but I wanted a little more room when I go to an aftermarket rim with a different offset.
2) I bought a nut, washer and lock washer pack. 6 of each in the pack.

I threw three washers towards the head end, fed it through the utilitrack. Next put your spare (face towards the utilitrack) on the bed an feed the bolt through. Last, I capped it off with three washers, one lock washer and a lock nut.

Fin!

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looks good. I think you could further improve it by drilling a hole through the bolt and adding a lock or some other method of locking it. Maybe this is only for outings?

Two days ago I came back from being away on a trip for 6 days to discover someone tried to cut through the bike lock on my spare, though I'm not sure it happened while I was away or sometime ago. I just discovered it the day after I got back.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Knapp. Yea I saw on Mike's DIY as well as Titan's setup they had the lock hole drilled. I just kept it basic so anyone with a wrench or pair of pliers could complete it with ease.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh, I'm new so I haven't seen the other write-ups. I'm going to Lowes tomorrow anyway, I'll probably pick this up. Thanks for the write-up.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Looks good, keep in mind when securing anything to the utilitrac, spring nuts fit inside the c-channel.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks good, keep in mind when securing anything to the utilitrac, spring nuts fit inside the c-channel.
Yea I had seen where people use those too. A 1/2 washer fits in nice and I did three stacked for more strength. I tried to also find 1/2 wing nuts for a quick release, but no luck. I think a tractor supply shop could have them though.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found a 1/2-13 wing nut SS on eBay for $6.00 and grabbed it to be able to take on & off without tools.

I'll also be drilling a hole through the end of the hex bolt this week to secure it with a pad lock, so I'll be sure to post up the drill bit size needed for the lock.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haven't had a chance to drill it yet due to installing the lift and work, but hopefully will by next weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts