Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm fearing the worst since my column has started to "click" recently. Nothing major yet like I've read about, but it doesn't make me happy when it happens. I'm getting an inconsistent "click" from time to time after the truck has been sitting a few hours during the first turn right of the wheel. Just happens once. No negative feedback from the wheel, no play, etc.

If it comes down to it and I need to replace the column, I am super out of warranty. I can get the column itself from JerseyParts online for something like $330...

Is this the kind of job I can tackle myself in the driveway? I'm low on funds and would like to save where I can. I've done a ton of the work on my truck on my own so far. Obviously the air bag scares me, since I've never removed one before, but there's write-ups all over on how to carefully and safely remove one. Would it be worth it to order the part myself to save and then let a dealer or other make the repair?

Looking for any help from those who have had their column replaced and/or mechanically-inclined members of the forum. For those who have had the column replaced, do you have the repair order with part #'s? That would be a great help also.

Thanks to everyone!

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one?

ok so to update my situation...

my click sounded more like it was related to my steering wheel lock than anything else. since i rarely lock the wheel after removing the key, i decided to try it and see what resulted.

i locked the wheel after removing the key for 3 days, and then checked my results. it has been over a week and i have not heard the click since. have not locked the wheel since the day of this original post. i will update as necessary...

altho, it would still be nice if anyone had any ideas about whether it would be feasable for the driveway mechanic over a weekend....

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
So the clicking is coming from the cabside of the firewall? or is it under the hood? Any places to oil it maybe? I have no idea hah

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
If you are talking about the steering column only then it should probably be a single day event. If you are changing the steering rack, that may take the entire weekend and possibly friday night too.

The bad part is when you get it all apart and you find that there is another piece that is broken that you don't have and you need to order.

If you decide to try and attemp this, I may be able to drive down and lend a hand and some tools if needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts