Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CC Pro4x
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Just so that you don't have to read the whole thread; this gave me ~4" of lift. In the pics it is actually 8" because I also have a BL and shackles.

I had been running 2" blocks in the rear, and got sick of the axle wrap, and my springs were in a negative arch, so I needed to do something. Instead of going the traditional route of running an AAL, I decided to rebuild my stock leafpack by adding into the stock pack 3 leaves from an Xterra leafpack. Since Xterras are SUA they have much more arch to their springs than we do (and no, you can't just run Xterra springs, they are shorter). I scored a sweet deal on a set of X springs from someone on thenewx.org who got Alcans, and went to work.....

The main reasons for me rebuilding my springs were:
1) The stock springs were starting to rust, so I wanted to fix that.
2) I can now run without an overload spring.
3) I have more droop than with an AAL.
4) It was cheaper than an AAL (although it is a lot more work).
5) It is just plan cool.

Xterra pack:

Remove:

Cut:

Pop Out:

End up with this:

Drill out, or grind off rivit, remove spring retainer:

Cut Xterra's main leaf.. this is the only one you have to cut, the others are already the perfect length:

Grind ends:

Paint Xterra leaves:

Remove, Frontier leafpack, disassemble and cut off retaining springs. DO NOT cut any of the leafs. Paint them:

I didn't get any pictures of how to bolt them back together, but you just stack them in order, and put a new, longer center bolt though, and throw a nut on the end. I used a grade 8 allen bolt, because you need something with a tall/round head which drops into a hole in the perch on the axle to center the leafs (you'll see what I mean when you look at a pack in person):

You will notice that I also did a u-bolt flip to increase my ground clearance. Don't worry, I will be cutting off the stock lower shock mounts and welding on so new ones a little higher soon.

Finished.... Just take note, that when I did this I also simultaneously installed a 2" body lift and PRG shackles (set at the highest level... I need to take them down 1 hole).
Oh.. and the front lift is coming next weekend.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
nice work man....in the last pic the bed and cab look a lil off,.....maybe its the pic

or my eyes

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
no need for a spring retainer to keep them lined up?

·
Registered
2018 CC Pro4x
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
nice work man....in the last pic the bed and cab look a lil off,.....maybe its the pic

or my eyes
I think it is just the picture. It looks normal in person.

no need for a spring retainer to keep them lined up?
I've read a lot about it, and from what I can tell, no you don't need them. You get more droop without them because the leaves can fan more. The only issue would be if you droop soo much that it damages the leaves, but my shocks won't allow that much droop, and I never get into situations where that would be an issue anyway. If you want to keep them, instead of cutting them off, just bent the part that wraps over the leaf up, drill a hole through both ends and run a bolt through it.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Nice job!

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
good work......looks really good

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
how much lift do you think you got from just the leafs with out the shackles?
what about using another frontier pack?
i only want about 1.5 or 2 in of lift but i want the pack a little stiffer for when iam towing my boat.

·
Registered
2018 CC Pro4x
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how much lift do you think you got from just the leafs with out the shackles?
what about using another frontier pack?
i only want about 1.5 or 2 in of lift but i want the pack a little stiffer for when iam towing my boat.
I got ~4" from the pack alone. It rides real nice to. I thought it would be stiff, but it isn't at all. It actually rides nicer now because the springs actually do their job, when they were flat/neg. arch they just weren't doing their job.

Another frontier pack wouldn't give you any lift. The Xterra packs have more of an arch, so they are basically acting like a AAL. If you already own an AAL and just want to add a couple extra frontier leaves that would make it a little stiffer, but I don't think it would make all that much of a difference.

Also, you don't need to use Xterra leaves, leafsprings off any truck with leaves the same width (2.5" I think) will work. If you want stiffer without much lift look for a 1/2ton truck spring. Just go to the junk yard.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
i was thinking i would get lift from the thickness of the leafs being added. and they would add a little stiffness as well. not necessarily getting lift from the arch of the added springs. does that make since.

·
Registered
2018 CC Pro4x
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was thinking i would get lift from the thickness of the leafs being added. and they would add a little stiffness as well. not necessarily getting lift from the arch of the added springs. does that make since.
Yep. The added leaves are essentially just acting like a block, but without the added axle wrap, and with a little more spring rate. Another frontier pack would work well for that.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Looks great! I've been thinking about a 2in body lift as well. Did you just go by Penski's write up? Anything to add?

·
Registered
2018 CC Pro4x
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Where's the Titan swap!?!?!
Greg forgot to ship my upper coilover mounts, so I couldn't do it. I HOPE I will have time to do it this weekend. This week the projects will be droping the rear from the highest shackle hole to the lowest, raising the bumpers, siping the tires, and relocating the lower shock mounts.

Looks great! I've been thinking about a 2in body lift as well. Did you just go by Penski's write up? Anything to add?
For the spacers and bolts I went by what is in the "DIY 2" BL" thread. As for actually doing it, it was cake.
I loosened all the bolts on the cab and bed (this was the longest part as 2 bed bolts put up quite a fight).

*I didn't do this right away, but now that you can learn from my mistakes you can do this before lifting the body*
I'll try and get pics later, but there is a wire that comes down right by the UCAs, it is bolted onto a little bracket. I just pulled the snap-in wire tie out to give it some slack. On the rear bumper the wire for the license plate light has a snap-in wire tie that you need to pull out too, unless you are removing the bumpers to raise them. I also had to remove 2 bolts on my lightbar because it bolts to both the bumper and the body. You also need to pull out the lower fan shroud, this takes all of about 45seconds, it literally just pulls out. Depending on what type of intake you have, you might need to disconnect the intake until you are done the lift.

That is all I moved, nothing else, which is awesome.

Then I jacked up 1 side of the cab, slipped the spacers and bolts in, then lowered that side. I couldn't get 1 bolt to thread in, so I just left the spacer in without the bolt, lifted the other side, put the spacers in, then came back to the first side and re-lifted it a bit and that time the bolt went right in.

Then I did the same with the bed. I thought the bed would be a little harder to jack up because there is no pinch-weld or anything to lift from, but I happened to spot a 4x4 in the corner of the garage with a cut in the perfect location to lift the bed. I lucked out, but you might want to make something like this.

Then I just jacked up 1 side, slide the spacers and bolts in and dropped it back down. Then repeated on the other side.

I went back and made all the bolts tight and called the job done. It was waay easier than I expected. I did it by myself in about 2hrs, 1hr to get all the bolts loose, and 1hr to do the actual lift.

·
Registered
535 Posts
What was the order that you put them together in. Frontier/xterra/frontier/xterra? Cool idea I might look at doing this if I can get some leafs cheap. What lift is currently on your front end?
Also, I see that you have 255/85's do the thinner tires keep from rubbing or did you still have to trim?

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
did a little research and from what i understand there is a difference between 4wd and 2wd leaf packs for the xterra, if im wrong my bad, but if this is true what one did you go with?

·
Registered
41 Posts
nice job. when i had my cherokee i did it with a set of s10 zr2 springs.

·
Registered
2018 CC Pro4x
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
What was the order that you put them together in. Frontier/xterra/frontier/xterra? Cool idea I might look at doing this if I can get some leafs cheap. What lift is currently on your front end?
Also, I see that you have 255/85's do the thinner tires keep from rubbing or did you still have to trim?
From looking at the Pics, and from my memory, this is what I am pretty sure it was:
Frontier main leaf
Frontier 2nd leaf
Xterra 2nd leaf
Frontier 3rd leaf
Cut Xterra main leaf
Xterra 3rd leaf

Front lift is 2.5" PRG spacer (I have the titan swap, but couldn't get it on, so I am going to wait a while before I try to install it again). Plus I have a 2" bodylift.

I fit those tires with no rubbing with a 2.5" spacer and 2" rear block, by just doing the melt-mod and removing the mud flaps.

did a little research and from what i understand there is a difference between 4wd and 2wd leaf packs for the xterra, if im wrong my bad, but if this is true what one did you go with?
I didn't know they were different. I am not sure which I have. I dont remember who I bought them from, and I deleted the PMs so I can't check sorry.

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
no big deal. i headed out to pic and pull and found a really crappy set. so im on the look
and nissan wants 198 a piece:(
but im doing this in the next couple days, my *** end is really low

·
Registered
2018 CC Pro4x
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no big deal. i headed out to pic and pull and found a really crappy set. so im on the look
and nissan wants 198 a piece:(
but im doing this in the next couple days, my *** end is really low
Look into s-10 ZR2 springs. I haven't looked at them up close, but I think they will work for you, and should be much easier to find than Xterra springs.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts