Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2012 Fronty is finally out of warranty and so I decided to do my own oil change. Went with Castrol Full synthetic, as it was on sale, and a K&N high flow bolt on filter. Wow! Talk about butt dyno! The engine is running so much smoother than my conventional oil change from the dealer at 4k miles.

While in there tinkering, I noticed the front differential Breather was not connected to anything. Back in Feb. I had a collision and the body shop replaced the intake box with an aftermarket unit, as ins. wouldn't pay for oem. I'm assuming that the oem box had a port for the Breather from the factory? I live on a mile long dirt mountain road in ID and use the 4x4 regularly. As such, I don't want to leave the breather open. Would you recommend modding the aftermarket air box or strapping on a breather filter?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
strapping on a breather would never hurt. i have a 12 and i saw the same thing the other day but i have a stock box and i don't see a port for it anywhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may have always been open and they just didn't strap it to anything. It's sort of dangling there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
ya same i noticed it after i did my spark plugs and was freaking out for a day and a half cause i couldn't figure out for the life of me where it went. for the most part I'm in NY so being under the hood isn't the end of the world but for you a breather wouldn't hurt. better safe than sorry

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Picked up a breather for $12 and clamped it onto the end. Did notice that though there is not a port on the box, there is a bracket that a factory zip tie clamps into on the outer of the box on the side nearest the driver. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My airbox has a small plastic clamp the tube snaps into. It doesn't vent into the box, just rides on the side of it

Reactions: briman4031

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the one I'm talking about. I think the body shop never clamped it back after they installed the new intake box.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Some folks have added a breather to it or drilled a hole on the side of the stock air box and inserted the tube there. I have also seen someone here has added a breather after inserting the tube in the stock air box. All of these serve the purpose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts