Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trying to pile several bicycles in the 5' bed to take my kids out riding, I realized I needed a better system. There are certainly plenty of bed mounted, rail mounted, hitch mounted, etc. bike racks for sale; however, I didn't feel like spending the money.
Luckily for me, there are plenty of great ideas on this forum and pinterest to consider. I pieced together several ideas and used scrap wood in my garage. After a few quick measurements and test fitting, this is what was built:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
DIY Bike rack continued

The rack fits between the wheel wells (41") and sits about 16" tall. Its made primarily of 1/2" plywood along with a piece of 2"x3" and some small scraps of 3/4" plywood for spacers. Several coats of spray paint to improve look and add some weather proofing. The whole rack can attach to the utilitrack system (thanks to the DIY stickies contributed by TysonCook and DeathByStereo). I used 3/8" Unistrut spring nuts from HD along with 3/8" x 4" eye hooks and washers. These eye hooks provide a handle to tighten the nut in the rail as well as provide an attachment point for bike tie-downs.

I haven't had a chance to take everything on a long/bumpy journey, but I'm reasonably confident the rack will do the job.

If anybody has any suggestions for improvements, please chime in. I'm thinking of putting something on the bottom to protect it and possibly make it easier to slide into bed. The sprayed in liner does too good a job of being non-slip. Thin pieces of nylon maybe?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Nice job!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Very nice indeed! I may give this a try with two spaces for me and the wife.
Thanks for the idea and the project details.
::smile::::smile::

1 - 4 of 4 Posts