Nissan Frontier Forum banner

DIY 2nd gen transmission flush.

13K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  1stNISSAN 
#1 · (Edited)
My 2006 SE CC 4wd has 70,000 miles. Without ever touching the transmission fluid since owning it with 17 miles I decided it was time to flush. I could have opted to do the pan drain and refill but my goal was to flush out all the old and replace with new fluid. I was able to flush out +-7.5 quarts, the pictures will explain why I could not tell the exact amount.

1. Supplies needed: (picture 1) 12 quarts of matic S from nissan, pliers, 10mm socket, funnel, flat head screw driver, light (if you're working in a garage), 3/8" OD vinyl tubing, quart labeled bucket.

2. Remove snaps on grill. I did not have to remove all the snaps, just enough to move it forward a few inches.

3. I choose the easiest way to access the transmission fluid: On the transmission cooler feed line (picture 2). Remove clip and attach your hose to the cooler inlet (hot fluid). In the second pic you see two lines because I did not know which line was the inlet and outlet (cooled fluid). So, the bottom of the trans cooler is the return that sends cooled fluid to the trans (it makes a lot of sense now I think about it).

4. Blow into the outlet hose (the hose where nothing is coming out of) with a compressor to push the old fluid out (picture 4).

5. setup your bucket like (picture 3)

6. Startup your truck and watch the fluid flow (picture 4)! make sure to chock your wheels for safety.

7. after approx 10mins with the engine on will drain 7.5 quarts + spillage! REMEMBER to replace fluid as the fluid flushes out. I poured in five quarts before the fluid began to lighten up. I could have poured more to flush but I didn't buy enough.

8. Replace all bolts and check fluid level!

Summary: purchased 12 quarts - 5 for flushing. That means I flushed 7quarts+spillage (picture 4 notice the side of the bucket) = 7.5quarts flushed. I don't know the capacity of the transmission, but i know 7.5 quarts is more than doing the drain and refill. After a test drive the truck shifted smooth like butter! Total cost of project was about $127.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
dang, you did a two day transmission drain and refill? :) From what i understand doing the pan only, drains 4.5 quarts http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/how-change-automatic-transmission-fluid-2005-gen-2-a-37431/

Wow thats a long time to not at least drain and refill
yea i agree, i've done this on a 1982 gmc k1500 and it took 2 minutes to expel the entire trans. on the frontier the initial spew was fast then it slowed to a trickle. Either way, when i check the fluid it's red in color, not coffee brown anymore. EDIT** oh, i see you mean waiting 70k miles......

#7 ·
no im just saying.i mean if u had no problems, more power to ya! haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.