Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 Frontier 4X4 and the other day I noticed what sounded like a squeaking sound coming from the rear end. I only hear it when I'm under about 20mph, and only when I have power going to the rear wheels. When I let off the gas and am coasting (even in gear) it stops squeaking. It first started after driving on a very rough dirt road several days ago, but has not stopped. I washed the underside around the rear differential and driveshaft and it stopped for a while, but soon came back. It sounds like it is in a rotating piece, as it's frequency increases as speed increases, but again, it stops over about 20mph. I have looked underneath and found nothing loose. I didn't see anywhere to grease anything. Anyone have any thoughts on what this might be and how to address it? Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Russ

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
There are some driveline issues with some of the 2nd gens based on some of the threads I've observed, but first guess would be a u-joint. How many miles?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Sounds like the rear drive shaft u-joints, just had the same problem. Covered under the powertrain warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts