Nissan Frontier Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just bought my fourth Frontier! They have ALL been trouble free.
Don't read too deeply into the issues as some are just venting and Nissan has made it right. There are aslo some people who are never happy and will look and look until they find "something".
I inspected my truck and it looked blemish free in and out and now will just drive it. Someone else would get out a magnifying glass and spend hours looking.
Go drive and enjoy your Frontier. I surely wouldn't have bought another one if any had been unreliable.

Clint
If anybody sould know about these trucks it would be you, after having 4. I value your input as all of us newbie owners should, and have:noworries: and just fix & enjoy:) Which has been your favorite so far?

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Only issue I've had (so far at just under 40K miles) is the alternator, but the truck still got me to the dealer after the alternator blew and the belt snapped. I love my truck, and after the mods I've done, I keep money saved for the just in case. I'm sure if you do get an issue it will be covered or won't be that serious. It is a pain in the a$$ to deal with issues with a vehicle...especially a new one....but don't sweat it, you will thoroughly enjoy your truck and will most likely be problem free. You just don't read good things about it because other than the link already provided, no one gets on here and just brags about how awesome there truck is. Check out any other site that is for the make/model vehicle you would have got besides the Frontier and you will see the same if not more threads of problems owners are encountering.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have to point out, if you feel the site is so negative then why did you post another negative thread?

These trucks, like any vehicle will have issues at some point. We just have a better place to find the answers than most, this is a great forum to find anything you would ever want to know about the Frontier and it's the reason I'm here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have not picked my truck up from the dealer yet. I know how you feel when you read some of the posts. But the others are right about people coming here to look for answers to problems.

The other thing I noticed from reading peoples posts is how hard some of these guys work their trucks. That is the reason the bought the Frontier because other trucks would not hold up as well. Myself ,mine will never leave the road and will have and easy life. I'm sure it will be just fine.

·
Registered
578 Posts
have you seen the kinds of things that a lot of people on this forum do to their trucks (me included)

·
Registered
874 Posts
I came here to look for answers to lots of things, mostly modding my suspension among other mods, reading some of the problems others have had didnt scare me just made me be a little more proactive, I owned a BMW shop for a while and still work on them quite a bit, I do the same with my truck although it is different. I have had my truck in the shop one time in 34000 miles for a replacement rear shock under warranty, other than than that not a single problem. I have had many BMW's over the years and swore I would never drive anything else, the need for a truck came up and got this. I dont feel I made a mistake, in fact I feel I made a really good decision.

Maintenance is the key, if there is a problem get it fixed right away then just keep up with it and it should last a very long time!

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I have had 8 Datsuns/Nissans and now own a 2005 Frontier LEKC. The only problem I have had with my Frontier is an overheating problem I had a year or so ago because I put two of the chome radiator caps on my truck. One of them is supposed to be pressurized like the chrome one is the other is not. Once I removed the second pressurized cap the problem went away.

I had a 1977 Datsun KC that I kept for 24 years and 175,000 miles. I had to replace starters and alternators, but no serious problems other than rust. I kept my 2005 XEKC for 5 years with no problems at all. I have had the '05 for 4 years and 10 months and only the self inflicted problem with it.

I think these trucks are about as reliable as any trucks on the market. There are some that are problem vehicles, but that is true of any brand of vehicle. I bought a 1969 Toyota Crown that was nothing but trouble from the day I bought it. On the other hand I have a 2000 Toyota Solara that has 74,000 miles and has given no problems at all.

Best wishes with your truck, relax and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have a 2010. I like looking at the forum to see what problems are out there. Every make/model will have a similar site of some kind. I am nearing 3000 miles on mine and had just come from a 5 year ownership of a Titan and an xterra before that. Zero issues so far for me. I love this truck.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have to speak absolutely out of honesty here....

i've been on several forums, not just poking around, but been involved deeply with many other make/model forums..

I've got to say that in this clubfrontier forum, it has more disappointment in what's broken and what doesn't work correctly than "omfg my truck rocks" topics.

I accept that this truck isn't no marine grade tank, but it sure does make me sad seeing all of the issues people are going through whether they are hard on their trucks or not... Broken front and rear differentials, timing chain issues, exhaust issues, 4x4 transfer case electrical issues, no-start electrical gremlins, radiator failure leading to transmission failure issues, ... bah.. I just cross my fingers that none of this happens to me...

I had a 97 isuzu 4x4 v6 rodeo and beat the living piss out of it for two years and added almost 100K miles to it, changed the alternator. It's been over two years and I still see that thing zippin' around with different owners still running strong and driving smooth, no suspension clanks and squeaks.

Traded it for my 01 rodeo v6 4x4 auto, installed a custom 3" rear coil/torsion key lift, easy and cheap, have been beating the piss out of it and driving it like a race car from day 1, has 130k miles and still feels, sounds, acts like a brand new vehicle... no clangs, clicks, ticks, squeaks, pops, clunks, bangs, etc.. I've put those differentials through HELLLLLLLL, been to moab in some crazy situations many times, gotten high centered in the snow several times, rockin' er' back n' forth and being hard on the drivetrain always got er' out.. full throttle ahead when climbing hills, doing stupid shi* in that thing all of the time.. Still haven't changed the xfer case or differential fluids, I better do that soon eh?... no problems .. so far, changed the fuel sending sensor(no biggy) and that's it. I've kept the rodeo, it's been too great to me to let it go... it's a nice, spunky, wild on the streets, crazy off road little machine. www.planetisuzoo.com ... hardly much for hardware failure there, just some isuzu lovin' non haters that know how to have fun off road.. great people.

My girlfriend's 08 crew 5cy colorado has been great, we take it all over the place, she follows me when i'm in my rodeo on our offroadin' trips, her mom has the same truck, an 07, no problems at all. Being on the coloradofans.com forums, I don't find a lot of issues posted there, not a lot of people needing technical help, just tons of ppl looking to mod their trucks really.. I read about some front differential failures because of a dry differential from the factory, but i haven't seen much other than that.. I'm not a huge chevy fan at all, but after driving the heck out of it and seeing my gf beat on that thing for the past two years, it's been a sweet truck, fast too.. has attitude.

I got my frontier thinking it has a similar build quality to both isuzu's ive had because it's foreign and they've got a LOt of past history in building sweet compact pickup trucks like the hardbody's that are known for awesomeness. I'm going to keep everything maintained very well and hope that my truck does just as great as the rodeo's did!... regardless, I love the truck so far! I've been loving this forum so far too, it's great to be able to offer help to others and get help in return or just to share our crazy a** truckin' stories and toys.

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
I bought my truck used with just under 60,000 miles. All the problems ive had, ive caused from four wheeling. Such as u-joints and all that good stuff. Its a great truck and not very many people fix them up to be all burly, so you get alot of comments about it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
People usually dont sign up on a forum to talk about how great there truck is, what it can do, etc... Its usually to rant about something when they have a problem or think they will, want to do a mod, did a mod and have problems, etc.

I am guilty of this. I read about timing chain guide issues and it freaks me out and raises my blood pressure, but have I had the problem? No. Do I have a warranty for the next 4 years and will this problem be fixed if it does occur? Yes. I dont really sweat the differentials as I dont wheel mine and have the C200 rear end which doesnt really seem to have problems. Radiator issue? I am sure its been figured out in the later years.

Dont read too much into some of the posts, every truck is a little different and you may never have a problem.

I read on the Tacoma Forums from time to time and they have way more positive posts, but there is also a LOT of senseless posts. There was one the other day "How much do you love your Tacoma" and another one regarding someone who bought shoes to match the interior of their truck. The negative ones seem to get drowned out by the pointless positive ones. I am sure we could make random posts on here too that just take up cyberspace but we generally dont which is nice as you dont have to read through a sea of crap to get to something thats actually interesting or relevant.

·
Super Moderator
12,380 Posts
As wonderful as the internet is, it can also be just as bad. The Titan had great reviews in the magazines initially. I owned one (2005) for three years and thought it was awesome. Then came all the complaints in the posts and it fell from grace. It still is a great truck but many ran away scared and never got the chance to own a great truck. There are many on here who also pick on everything about their Frontier and a lurker can say "screw that, I'll buy a different truck". Never getting the pleasure of owning a Frontier.
I just bought my fourth Frontier (2000,2002,2008,2010) and know it was the CORRECT and ONLY choice for a great pickup truck.
Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

Clint

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
People usually dont sign up on a forum to talk about how great there truck is, what it can do, etc...
I signed up here because the unofficial nissan frontier site has very little traffic anymore. I know quite abit about the first gen trucks.
another one regarding someone who bought shoes to match the interior of their truck.
my boots match the interior of my truck... they both have the same greasey gear oil stains.
I have to speak absolutely out of honesty here....

i've been on several forums, not just poking around, but been involved deeply with many other make/model forums..

I've got to say that in this clubfrontier forum, it has more disappointment in what's broken and what doesn't work correctly than "omfg my truck rocks" topics.

I accept that this truck isn't no marine grade tank, but it sure does make me sad seeing all of the issues people are going through whether they are hard on their trucks or not... Broken front and rear differentials, timing chain issues, exhaust issues, 4x4 transfer case electrical issues, no-start electrical gremlins, radiator failure leading to transmission failure issues, ... bah.. I just cross my fingers that none of this happens to me...

I had a 97 isuzu 4x4 v6 rodeo and beat the living piss out of it for two years and added almost 100K miles to it, changed the alternator. It's been over two years and I still see that thing zippin' around with different owners still running strong and driving smooth, no suspension clanks and squeaks.

Traded it for my 01 rodeo v6 4x4 auto, installed a custom 3" rear coil/torsion key lift, easy and cheap, have been beating the piss out of it and driving it like a race car from day 1, has 130k miles and still feels, sounds, acts like a brand new vehicle... no clangs, clicks, ticks, squeaks, pops, clunks, bangs, etc.. I've put those differentials through HELLLLLLLL, been to moab in some crazy situations many times, gotten high centered in the snow several times, rockin' er' back n' forth and being hard on the drivetrain always got er' out.. full throttle ahead when climbing hills, doing stupid shi* in that thing all of the time.. Still haven't changed the xfer case or differential fluids, I better do that soon eh?... no problems .. so far, changed the fuel sending sensor(no biggy) and that's it. I've kept the rodeo, it's been too great to me to let it go... it's a nice, spunky, wild on the streets, crazy off road little machine. planetisuzoo - An Isuzu SUV Club ... hardly much for hardware failure there, just some isuzu lovin' non haters that know how to have fun off road.. great people.

My girlfriend's 08 crew 5cy colorado has been great, we take it all over the place, she follows me when i'm in my rodeo on our offroadin' trips, her mom has the same truck, an 07, no problems at all. Being on the coloradofans.com forums, I don't find a lot of issues posted there, not a lot of people needing technical help, just tons of ppl looking to mod their trucks really.. I read about some front differential failures because of a dry differential from the factory, but i haven't seen much other than that.. I'm not a huge chevy fan at all, but after driving the heck out of it and seeing my gf beat on that thing for the past two years, it's been a sweet truck, fast too.. has attitude.

I got my frontier thinking it has a similar build quality to both isuzu's ive had because it's foreign and they've got a LOt of past history in building sweet compact pickup trucks like the hardbody's that are known for awesomeness. I'm going to keep everything maintained very well and hope that my truck does just as great as the rodeo's did!... regardless, I love the truck so far! I've been loving this forum so far too, it's great to be able to offer help to others and get help in return or just to share our crazy a** truckin' stories and toys.
The 2000 isuzu trooper I had was a tough vehicle until my daughter took out a phone pole and 30 ft of barbed wire fence. I still drove it 5 miles home. It did have its share of squeeks and rattles tho. I dont find 100K that impressive. get 200K on your truck using it as a truck. you will break something. parts will wear out.
Before I got my frontier, I had an s-10 for about 6 months with less than 50k on it. I was gentler on that truck than on my frontier and still routinely overheated the transmission when hauling loads.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i love my truck....but i beat the hell out of it....ie blown 2 motors in my truck....the first time was a 60/40 vehicle fault/ my fault...i'm used to driving fast cars...this was my frist truck....i still dont have complaints about the truck...just nissan( the suits not the workers that build these great machines)....ive resolved my issue with swapping something that can handle the abuse...this site is awesome cause you can see people do creative things to there trucks to make them there own....

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am absolutely 100% in love with my Frontier. When I went to buy it 1 year ago, I drove a Colorado, Dakota, Ranger and the Frontier was hands down the best. Great pick up, quiet, looks are great too. I have found this site to be very helpful since this is my first Nissan, automatic, 4X4 etc. I just wish I had more time to be on here...

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i love my truck and have had zero problems with it so far. i come to this site to learn more about it and see what kinds of mods people are doing with it. i can't say i've seen the kind of negative response that you say you've encountered here. either way, be happy with your truck if you love it, don't worry about what other people say about their trucks

·
Registered
121 Posts
although I admit that I am dis-satisfied with Nissan as of late. But at the end of the day I Look at both my Frontier and Xterra parked in the drive and think," yeah those are some badass trucks"

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.