Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my truck in for a rotation and balance about a month ago. I noticed the seam on the underside of my rocker panels on both sides was bent up in about a 5" long area. Looks like damage from a lift to me. Last time it was on a lift would have been a month ago at Discount Tire. Damage is identical between the RH and LH side. Anybody ever had to deal with a similar issue? I'm not sure if they'll do anything since it's been a month before I noticed it.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
All you can do is talk to the manager. If it's a franchised operation and the manager won't help, then you can contact corporate and complain to them. If that doesn't work, file a complaint with your state's Better Business Bureau.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discount tire usually uses floor jacks that would not have a 5 inch top plate or their lift should cover the entire length of the pinch weld unless they put spacers on top, but if they did that you should have the same bend at both the front and rear of the pinch weld. You are saying you just noticed it a month after you had the tires rotated. Does anyone else drive your truck? Is it possible they could have driven it over a parking stone in a parking lot and came down hard on it making the same bend on each side? It is possible that they did it, but it could have been there for many months or someone put them there under 3 days ago and you saw them the first time you looked at the truck after it happened. Just make sure you are sure it was Discount Tire before you go in and go off on someone as I expect you will want to continue to go in and get your free rotation and balance services.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input.

I don't have proof that says they did it, but I don't see how it was from anything else. My truck has only been on a lift recently for tire rotations. The last time being on 9/29/16. it can't be from bottoming out because the frame would hit first. It's also strange that there is no damage where the rear lift arms would connect. I'm the only person that drives my truck and it's actually hasn't been my DD since I bought my 4Runner in early Sept. I would think that if DT didn't do it, they would have seen it when they lifted my truck for the tire rotation and made me aware that it was like that before it came into there shot.

The only thing that makes sense is that maybe they had spacers on the front arms that were left on by accident from the car that was on the lift before mine. I'll load some pictures tonight.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
The only reason for lifting a truck with a frame by any point on the body is incompetence.

You're going to have a real hard time getting DT to admit they did that. Unless had you caught them with it in the air and took pictures of it, just consider them to be 0% responsible a month later.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I think you're right. I guess I could try to talk to a manager, but I'm sure they'll probably tell me to go pound sand. What a mess.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unless they have cameras and can prove one way or the other. It is worth going in and speaking to them, but if they have no cameras I'd say you are sol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,180 Posts
Sorry to read that, but realistically - I think the one month delay pretty much ends any chance of you getting anything from them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
...are you still posting photos?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Since it has been a month, this will be hard to get them to admit to. Make an appt. to speak to the mgr about a problem. Do not tell them what it is until you sit down with him. Go into the meeting with a good attitude and talk calmly about the issue as being angry will get you no where. Bring your receipts from their store. You can only try and you never know, they may have just fired an employee for this issue on other cars..... If this meeting does not help, escalate to the corporate level.

Unfortunately, repairing that damage will require body and paint work. If you get it repaired, make sure to use a reputable shop.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Let's see some pictures.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, so I had the day off yesterday and decided to try my luck at DT. I met with one of the front desk guys and showed him the damage. He then told me that they have a corporate claims department that takes care of issues like this for them. He took down some information on my truck, verified the last time I was there, and then he got is manager to submit the claim to their claims department. I got a confirmation number from the manager and he told me the claims department should contact me within a few days (most likely Monday due to the holiday weekend. I was very surprised that they handled it so well.

Also, I took a look at some of their lifts before talking with the guy. Sure enough, they had spacers around that they used for vehicle that aren't body on frame construction. The person that lifted my truck must have left the spacers on the lift from the previous job. Either that or they were just really incompetent.

I'll keep y'all updated on how things progress. Hopefully this helps any of you if you're unfortunate enough to experience the same thing. Pictures of the damage are attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Good luck with the claim!

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Use of floor jacks really depends on the vehicle they are lifting. When I first bought my Frontier, they used floor jacks the first two times it was in. Now, they typically use the floor lift, I've noticed sometimes they will put a spacer on the floor lift under my frame rails to get a few extra inches. Typically they only use floor jacks on full size or lifted trucks/SUV's. I have a DT about a mile from me I've been using for 18 yrs, in some cases, it seems to depend on how well employees are trained and how they pay attention. The store I use, the original manager hammered home a work ethic to his people, when he moved to corporate after 5 yrs, the local GM scattered most of the employees from that store to all over the place. A few have since transferred back, the current store manager does a good job, but I definitely see a lot of his older shop guys taking the lead over the younger guys. In some cases, how they treat a car, seems to depend on the car/customer. They see me every few months, they see how I care for my vehicles, they know I watch them work on the vehicles and I frequently will point out or look for a defect or while the tires are off, I'm looking at some other part of the suspension or brakes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Use of floor jacks really depends on the vehicle they are lifting. When I first bought my Frontier, they used floor jacks the first two times it was in. Now, they typically use the floor lift, I've noticed sometimes they will put a spacer on the floor lift under my frame rails to get a few extra inches. Typically they only use floor jacks on full size or lifted trucks/SUV's. I have a DT about a mile from me I've been using for 18 yrs, in some cases, it seems to depend on how well employees are trained and how they pay attention. The store I use, the original manager hammered home a work ethic to his people, when he moved to corporate after 5 yrs, the local GM scattered most of the employees from that store to all over the place. A few have since transferred back, the current store manager does a good job, but I definitely see a lot of his older shop guys taking the lead over the younger guys. In some cases, how they treat a car, seems to depend on the car/customer. They see me every few months, they see how I care for my vehicles, they know I watch them work on the vehicles and I frequently will point out or look for a defect or while the tires are off, I'm looking at some other part of the suspension or brakes.
And they pretend like they like you, but they absolutely hate seeing you pull in. That is so annoying to tire guys/mechanics

·
Registered
741 Posts
And they pretend like they like you, but they absolutely hate seeing you pull in. That is so annoying to tire guys/mechanics

Might be annoying, but it's necessary. Considering some of the bonehead maneuvers these guys pull off they need to be watched like a hawk.

I drove away from DT once and the lugs were hand tight. ALL OF THEM!!!

Got a mile down the road when everything felt "loosey goosey"

Called a tow truck and made DT pay for the one mile trip too. Now, nothing is done to my truck that I don't see. Tires are your first contact with the road, nothing to **** with...

·
Registered
397 Posts
The problem it seems is that no one really gives half a damn about providing good, quality service or to do a proper job in so many of our work places these days; it's all about the shortcuts to turn a higher profit, it's sad...and it leads to property damage or personal injury.

The auto mechanic industry is one of the least trusted groups of professionals so sorry you felt annoyed at being watched if that's what your job is....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Might be annoying, but it's necessary. Considering some of the bonehead maneuvers these guys pull off they need to be watched like a hawk.

I drove away from DT once and the lugs were hand tight. ALL OF THEM!!!

Got a mile down the road when everything felt "loosey goosey"

Called a tow truck and made DT pay for the one mile trip too. Now, nothing is done to my truck that I don't see. Tires are your first contact with the road, nothing to **** with...
If you have to watch your tire guys, I suggest finding new ones.

·
Registered
741 Posts
It's Discount/Americas Tire. Can't beat the price/warranty/after sale support with a stick. I *will* however use said stick to beat a 22 YO tech that forgets to not only torque, but actually *tighten* my lug nuts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd rather pay more for trust worthy technicians.

I drop my vehicles off and walk away without worry.

Anyhow back on topic definitely looks like someone used a floor jacks or spacers for lift on that and was a complete moron. The spacers on the scissor lift would have had to be put on after they drove over the lift otherwise they'd had ran them over.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts