Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like half of you guys are into dirt bikes. Rather then joining a DB forum I might as ask here first.

I jsut bought a suzuki dr 350 Tires sizes are
Front: 80/100-21
Rear:110/90-17

I see alot of 3.0 x 21 and 4.6x 17. Are these suitable subsitute tires. I know we put all kinds of sizes on our trucks but for bikes I have no experiance.

School me on what is up, pluses and minuses. I know the 3.0 is going to be a little smaller and shorter(?) and the 4.6 a little larger. How much of a difference is this goign to make. I need new tires. The road slicks it came with is jsut not cutting it, and taking it off road is scarey. I am looking for some 50/50 dirt/street tires.

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
Those should do just fine, although it seems odd you are running a 17" rear wheel with a 21" up front. Probably just cause it's an older bike and built to be set up that way, but typically you would run an 18"/21" combo for rougher stuff or a 19"/21" when you don't need so much tire.

I am actually running 17" dirt tires on my supermoto right now, a 3.0x17 up front and a 5.10x17 rear. The narrower tire up front make the bike much more responsive, but I really have to be on my toes throwing it into corners. I have also noticed now that at about 75mph the bike gets super squirly up front where with the street tires I could do 90mph + comfortably.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I need to get those tires so I can start riding dirt.

From what I hear that is the older set up with the 17 in the rear. Road in this morning on the street. At about 65 it got a little squirlly. Not sure how 50/50 tires will do at those speeds on the pavement.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
your 3.0x21 translates to 76.2x21 so it's a little thinner then what you got.
And 4.6x17 translates to 116.8x17 so that one is a little wider. But for what your doing, it will be fine.

The reason for the diffrent sizes. Ones made here and the other is made in europe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts