Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else hate the oil dipstick? This has to be the worst one I have ever
owned and that my friends is a lot. i still have trouble getting it back where it belongs
almost every time I check my oil.

My wife's Solara on the other hand is one of the best I have ever had. I did not say that
to start another Nissan Toyota war just something that comes to my mind every week when I am checking the oil on them both.

I actually love both vehicles.

OkieScot

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Yea, my initial thought the first time I checked my oil was, Boy, they spared no expense here! I actually found that if you angle the curve in the dipstick handle toward the back of the engine it will slip back into the tube easier, of course that does nothing for trying to hit the hole! Oh no, here we go off on another tangent! :lol:

·
Registered
129 Posts
OkieScot said:
Does anyone else hate the oil dipstick? This has to be the worst one I have ever
owned and that my friends is a lot. i still have trouble getting it back where it belongs
almost every time I check my oil.

My wife's Solara on the other hand is one of the best I have ever had. I did not say that
to start another Nissan Toyota war just something that comes to my mind every week when I am checking the oil on them both.

I actually love both vehicles.

OkieScot
Ain't it the truth? I was practically raised in my Dad's gas station/garage, so I've checked the oil on more vehicles than I could ever count. The VQ40 engine has just about the worst dipstick I've ever seen; it's hard to read, hard to find to re-insert, and hard to replace. You'd think that the engineers who developed this jewel of an engine could have done a better job on the dipstick...

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am glad that it is not just me, I'll try angling the handle to the back this weekend when I am doing my weekly check. Thank you.

OkieScot

·
Registered
233 Posts
It dosen't make any sense that with all the electronics they are being put in cars/trucks that the dipstick has not been eliminated or improved on. Some type of digital bargraph readout to show how much oil is in the system would do the trick.
I've noticed that reading the oil level on my GMC Sonoma truck can be quite confusing if you compare one side of the dipstick with the other. My Toro lawn tractor is the same way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts