Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999, 3.3 V6. Had my oil pan re-sealed. When I tried to check the oil, I could not get the dipstick out. It came out a few inches, and was stuck. When I tried to start the vehicle, it made a metallic tapping noise. As it turns out, my mechanic didn't remove the dipstick before he put the oil pan back on and it bent the dipstick. He made it right, so all is well. Sharing this to hopefully save someone else from going through the same thing.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
3,931 Posts
I feel like it's wrong that I clicked the like button just because that metallic tapping is the last noise anyone ever wants to hear when starting their engine.
Welcome to CF.

·
Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
That's not the first time I've seen that happen, unfortunately.

Reactions: TG99

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's not the first time I've seen that happen, unfortunately.
Yes, I bet you did :) over 16 years! I was surprised at how little information there was about this, easily available online. It was not in my Haynes Manual, either (No surprise, there!). I wish I had had him do a video to pop on Youtube, as well. The video's I watched, beforehand did not mention it. It is a nasty job to have to re-do :( If someone, here, wants to do a video next time they do this job it might be helpful for a lot of people.

·
Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
If I remember correctly, I do believe they mention pulling out the dipstick in the factory service manual. I wouldn't take it out, but would pull it out about half-way. That way, I wouldn't lose the dipstick while working on the pan!

Reactions: TG99

·
Registered
233 Posts
So your mechanic didn't check your oil level after completing the repair? Hmmmmm...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts