Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01 frontier goes right into 4 high. I really have to wiggle the lever quite forcefully to get it out of four-wheel-drive. Sometimes it takes a good minute or so to do this and I might have to change from forward to reverse a couple times. Any suggestions? It's a very low mile truck (23k miles). The auto hubs seem to work great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, They are brand-new tires installed and balanced by Nissan dealership. All of them are the same size. My previous tires had the exact same issue, no difference at all. I am not sure that it matters, but I have not checked the transfer case fluid. I did change the transmission fluid and the front and rear differential oil and all of that looked basically brand-new.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was going to ask if your 2011 truck with 23K on it was still under warranty then double checked...a 2001 with 23K miles? That's amazing. Anyway, just because the fluid looks good doesn't mean it's still good. That's 16-year-old oil in that xfer case and it's time to change it.

I had a 4WD 4Runner that had different size front/rear tires and if it was put into 4-HI or 4-LO and driven even a few feet it was near impossible to shift back into 2WD. That said, you have new, same-size tires so that shouldn't be the case. Change the xfer case oil and see if it helps. If it doesn't, jack up either the front or back of the truck so the tires are clear of the ground and see it that makes the shift to 2WD easier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it's a 2001!

I have changed the fluid in the transmission and both differentials, all of which looked very clean. So, I didn't mess with the transfer case. I can drain the transfer case and put new ATF in and see how if that helps.

·
Registered
2017 Pro-4X w/Luxury Package
1,036 Posts
Sounds like maybe the driveline is bound up. You aren't doing this on dry pavement are you? If the driveline is bound up that could make it hard to disengage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's difficult no matter what terrain I'm on. With that said, I think it should still unlock on dry payment if I'm going in a straight line on flat ground.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Unlock well before you reach any surface with good traction. put it in reverse a few feet and see if that helps. If you drive 4x4 on good traction it will bind up the system and make it hard to shift out of 4x4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts