Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 NISMO CC has been driving funny ever since I got it back from the dealer when they replaced the timing chain tensioner. When I accelerate after coming to a stop the engine will rev but it doesn't engage. It also happens if I'm backing up and pause then step on the gas there is a delay between the enigine accelerating and the drivetrain engaging. I can't tell if it's the transmission or not, but the tranny (AT) is slow to shift when going from D to R or vise versa. I just looked underneath the truck and noticed that my rear differential looks funny (pic below). Is this normal? Is my defferntial leaking or have a blown gasket and that is causing problems? Thanks for any info/advice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,428 Posts
check to see if your axle breather is plugged , if its not probably just need to re-seal the cover

i recommend the re-usable gasket by mag-hytec

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
You are probably low on transmission fluid.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check to see if your axle breather is plugged , if its not probably just need to re-seal the cover

i recommend the re-usable gasket by mag-hytec
^You mean remove the diff. cover and replace the gasket?
You are probably low on transmission fluid.
^ I just had my oil changed and they were supposed to check all the fluids.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
I just had my oil changed and they were supposed to check all the fluids.
by whom? the dealer? or a quick stop corner oil changing place for $20?
i would never let those clowns at a corner oil change place touch my cars.

anyways, as mike said, what you are describing is how an auto tranny acts when it is low on fluid. pull the stick and check the level and color.

your rear diff doesn't look too bad. check the breather as penski said and if it has been a while since you last changed the fluid in the rear diff (over about 15k miles) you might want to pull the cover anyways and seal it up with some fresh rtv and fresh synthetic diff oil.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
by whom? the dealer? or a quick stop corner oil changing place for $20?
i would never let those clowns at a corner oil change place touch my cars.

anyways, as mike said, what you are describing is how an auto tranny acts when it is low on fluid. pull the stick and check the level and color.

your rear diff doesn't look too bad. check the breather as penski said and if it has been a while since you last changed the fluid in the rear diff (over about 15k miles) you might want to pull the cover anyways and seal it up with some fresh rtv and fresh synthetic diff oil.
Not changed at the dealer, but a pretty good place, but you never know. the dealer did just service it so you'd think they would check. I mught just take it into 4wheelparts and have them do a full service as I'm headed tot he mountains next week for a five day camping bonanza!

Thanks btw. Sounds like my tranny definatley needs some attention.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
Not changed at the dealer, but a pretty good place, but you never know. the dealer did just service it so you'd think they would check. I mught just take it into 4wheelparts and have them do a full service as I'm headed tot he mountains next week for a five day camping bonanza!

Thanks btw. Sounds like my tranny definatley needs some attention.

i would either take it to the dealer, or do it yourself. then check the oil color and level afterwards. also, look at the oil drainplug and make sure they didn't crossthread the plug (it has happened to me in the past).
4wheelparts is just as sketchy as any corner bargain shop. i let them mount my tires and thats it.

i wouldn't let anyone deal with the tranny other than nissan. maybe i'm a little wierd with the maintenance on my cars, but all i can say is that i never have any problems with them.

·
Registered
890 Posts
i dont trust anyone one anymore, it sucks but id just check it myself. we had honda do an oil change on my moms RSX, and they didnt put the drain plug back in all the way.... fell out on her way to work, then they tried to tell me it was a cracked crush washer that was leaking... all the oil out in a matter of seconds lol.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called the dealer and they said at my last service they checked and topped off all the fluids. They said it doesn't have anything to do with the service they did (replace timing chain tensioners) and if I wanted it checked out I would have to pay for a normal inspection fee. So... How do I check tranny fluid? I can't find it in owners manual. How do I check breather tubes? that's definatley noit in manual. Iam gonna poke around underneath but if you have specific info it would greatly help me out. Thanks again evrryone, I love CF.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
So... How do I check tranny fluid?
On the passenger side of the engine bay there is a tube coming up from the lower back area. Remove the 10mm bolt and then you can pull out dipstick.
Run the truck for about 10mins so it is warmed up. Wipe the dipstick off and then reinstall it. Make sure you push it all the way in and remove it again.
Look where the fluid stops on the Warm side.

·
Registered
890 Posts
make sure the truck is still running when you check it

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked the tranny fluid and it looks like it needs to be filled. I had been driving around a little and when I pulled the dipstick out it had fluid on it, but then I wiped it off and put it back in after leting the engine run for 10 minutes and when I pulled it out it was bone dry. I did it a couple more times and each time it came out with NO fluid on it. Where do I add the tranny fluid? Sorry for the dumb Q's, I've never done anything with transmissions before.

Also, all the breather tubes were clear. I inspected the diff pretty closeley and no fluids were leaking out of it so I think it's fine. Thanks again everyone for all your help.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
^ I was thinking that, but don't they have a specific plac to add the fluid. I mean everything else has it's own fill-spot. I guess I just need a funnel. How much should I add?
Add 1/2 a quart until it reads then go from there. Also make sure you know what you are adding. Last time I checked you can only get d-matic fluid at the dealer but Im not sure now. Im sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Idle. I hope they have the correct fluid at my dealer. If not are there any Generic brands tha work? I know it specifies to use only the Nissan fluid, but is that a serious deal. I probably will use the dealer specified fluid because i don't want to void my 100K warranty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts