Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I have a 2013 Pro-4X with 91k miles.
I bought it two years ago with 67K miles, I should have changed all the oils right away since I do not have a history about the truck besides it looking as tho it has been really well cared for!
I just changed my tranny oil, flushed brakes, power steering.
I want to do the rear diff now, what weight oil do I use and RECOMMEND BRAND?
Then transfer case, what weight and RECOMMEND BRAND?
Anything I am missing?

Thanks!
Tekno, you have 75w140 as it's a DANA M226 locking rear, like mine. I used Motul full synthetic, $24.95 a litre on Amazon, but any quality synthetic will be fine, the locker is electromechanical so does not require any extreme duty or limited slip additives.
Transfer case is ATF, used Motul for that too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did my front/rear diffs and transfer yesterday,

I thought the oil didn't look that bad while draining, but once I looked into the pan..... they were all pretty dirty!
Must have all been original?
Dark, metallic flecks, etc.
Front, dirty
Rear much more dirty
And the transfer was really dirty!!!!

So glad I finally did these and now that I know how easy they are I will happily keep them up!

Thanks everyone!

·
Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
I try to stay away from these threads over the years, anything to do with oil or gas seems to be like talking either politics or religion to some.

But, I can't help myself because I am in lockdown and bored.

Personally, I agree with the one person that posted that "oil is cheap change it more often". I agree with this 100%. This is why I get on the Amsoil folk and their 25k mile oil change interval sales pitch. Just because you "can" doesn't mean "you should".

Gear oils don't get contaminated like engine oil does, but I change mine (in my past trucks and cars) every 15k miles. I do Transmission spill n fills every other engine oil change. I do my engine oil changes ever 5k miles with synthetic oil.

When I do my engine oil change, I siphon out my brake fluid and replace with 5.1 brake fluid, and I also siphon out the power steering fluid and pour new Nissan Fluid in.

Yes it is overkill, but my family lives in extreme temps (very hot) and it just isn't that hard to do. Its just peace of mind for me.

Only thing I don't do as often is radiator fluid. That I have done at Nissan. Why? I just don't like the mess and I ask them to flush the heater core and everything. I have that done ever 3yrs or so.

So if the question is....how often "should" I do these maintenance items? All I can tell you is do at the minimum what the manufacturer recommends. NOT the Stealership the Manufacturer. Stealerships upsale WWAAYY too much. So be careful.

If your a do it yourselfer? This is fairly easy work. The front dif can be a Pita, but the transfer case, rear dif and transmission are pretty easy.

All in all, doing things more often isn't going to hurt anything, not doing it often enough can hurt things.

As for fluids? Whatever meets the spec required, but use Castol Edge EP in the engine, OEM power steering fluid, OEM Trans fluid, Amsoil for the Front and Rear Dif and OEM for the Trans case. Brake Fluid, Wagner 5.1 and radiator OEM fluids.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A couple of questions on the oils that I just used for my Transmission and Transfer Case.
I used the Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle Formula in the transfer case. I was reading elsewhere that you are supposed to use the Matic-D for the transfer?
My question is the Mobile 1 compatible? Do I need to change it out for something better or will it be fine?

I got the oil for the tranny change at the dealership, it is the Nissan Matic-S P/N/ 999MP-MAT00S.
I decided to drain and fill again since it was so dirty but I cannot find this specific oil on Amazon?
On nissan north america when I check my frontier it will not confirm that I can use it in my Frontier? it only lists the Armada?

What do you all think, am I fine? just worrying too much?

·
Read Only
295 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
A couple of questions on the oils that I just used for my Transmission and Transfer Case.
I used the Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF Multi-Vehicle Formula in the transfer case. I was reading elsewhere that you are supposed to use the Matic-D for the transfer?
My question is the Mobile 1 compatible? Do I need to change it out for something better or will it be fine?

I got the oil for the tranny change at the dealership, it is the Nissan Matic-S P/N/ 999MP-MAT00S.
I decided to drain and fill again since it was so dirty but I cannot find this specific oil on Amazon?
On nissan north america when I check my frontier it will not confirm that I can use it in my Frontier? it only lists the Armada?

What do you all think, am I fine? just worrying too much?
Tekno, Valvoline MaxLife MaticS is a completely compatible replacement for the transmission at a much lower cost.
The transfer case is a mechanical "switch" and therefor as long as it has some oil in it, for the most part it'll be fine. Auto's are so picky cause of their tiny pressure passages and the composition of the clutch packs, the wrong fluid will roast them. None of those considerations are present in a transfer case, its pretty much brute-force old-skool gears and locking pins.

Reactions: TeknoRacer

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tekno, Valvoline MaxLife MaticS is a completely compatible replacement for the transmission at a much lower cost.
The transfer case is a mechanical "switch" and therefor as long as it has some oil in it, for the most part it'll be fine. Auto's are so picky cause of their tiny pressure passages and the composition of the clutch packs, the wrong fluid will roast them. None of those considerations are present in a transfer case, its pretty much brute-force old-skool gears and locking pins.
Perfect!
Thanks, I will not worry about the transfer case then, maybe just change it out earlier than I usually would but let it go for a while since the Mobile 1 was some good synthetic oil!

Great advise on the Valvoline MaxLife, I will get some of that today since I did not like the look of the old stuff in the tranny and want to do it again so I got as much fresh oil in there as possible!

Do you recommend that I keep draining the oil from the tranny until all the nissan stuff is out or does that make any difference?

·
Read Only
295 Posts
Perfect!
Thanks, I will not worry about the transfer case then, maybe just change it out earlier than I usually would but let it go for a while since the Mobile 1 was some good synthetic oil!

Great advise on the Valvoline MaxLife, I will get some of that today since I did not like the look of the old stuff in the tranny and want to do it again so I got as much fresh oil in there as possible!

Do you recommend that I keep draining the oil from the tranny until all the nissan stuff is out or does that make any difference?
If your truck is under warranty though I would not use the max life. If it's out of warranty go ahead 👍

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
If your truck is under warranty though I would not use the max life. If it's out of warranty go ahead 👍
Wife'sPro does make a point, IF your dealer wanted to be a butthead and you did suffer a trans failure under warranty, they could make an issue of it. But since the Valvoline meets all MaticS requirements, Moss-Magnuson Act would put burden of proof on the dealer and Nissan that using a fully-approved aftermarket fluid caused the failure WITH NO DOUBTS. Highly unlikely to either occur or be provable. Valvoline is a massive company and if the MaxLife were bad stuff, that would have become apparent years ago. I have an extended warranty on my '14 Pro4 and I'm running the Valvoline MaticS, shifts just the same as the day I brought her home over 40k miles ago.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought the 2013 two years ago with 67k, now has 91k and I do not know if I ever had a warranty?
I do all the wrenching myself because every experience I have had in my life with a shop has been bad!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wife'sPro does make a point, IF your dealer wanted to be a butthead and you did suffer a trans failure under warranty, they could make an issue of it. But since the Valvoline meets all MaticS requirements, Moss-Magnuson Act would put burden of proof on the dealer and Nissan that using a fully-approved aftermarket fluid caused the failure WITH NO DOUBTS. Highly unlikely to either occur or be provable. Valvoline is a massive company and if the MaxLife were bad stuff, that would have become apparent years ago. I have an extended warranty on my '14 Pro4 and I'm running the Valvoline MaticS, shifts just the same as the day I brought it home over 40k miles ago.
Warranty? I have no idea? just a used truck I bought that is not far from 100k miles.
I agree, if there were issues with using Valvoline MaxLife we would have heard of it? right?
Reading on Valvoline's site it is compatible with Matic-D and S so it looks good for the transfer and tranny!

·
Read Only
295 Posts
Wife'sPro does make a point, IF your dealer wanted to be a butthead and you did suffer a trans failure under warranty, they could make an issue of it. But since the Valvoline meets all MaticS requirements, Moss-Magnuson Act would put burden of proof on the dealer and Nissan that using a fully-approved aftermarket fluid caused the failure WITH NO DOUBTS. Highly unlikely to either occur or be provable. Valvoline is a massive company and if the MaxLife were bad stuff, that would have become apparent years ago. I have an extended warranty on my '14 Pro4 and I'm running the Valvoline MaticS, shifts just the same as the day I brought her home over 40k miles ago.
I have to chime in on that Moss-Mag act that everyone likes to quote as their saving grace on warranty items. I say this out of experience, not personally my own, but from my Father who Managed Acura Dealerships for many years.

My Dad would get hit by the M&M Act many times. At Acura it was over people not using the Honda Specified Power Steering fluid. People would use some other off the shelf fluid that "met honda's spec" and the systems would leak or fail. In the decade that my Dad worked for Acura? Not one person won a court case. Why? Because of time mainly. In California anyway, to go to court over this takes on average 18-24 months. In the mean time? You are without a car. So what my Dad would do out of good faith, would offer to pay for a part of the repair. This had nothing to do with the manufacturer lawsuit, just something he wanted to do to help and to keep his customers coming back. So the owner still would pay 2/3rds to 50% of the cost of the repair and they accepted because they needed their car back.

Same thing with Nissan I am sure. One Case I do know of from the Titan forums I was in....Guy had a 1st Gen Titan under warranty, did his own drain n fills on the Transmission and begin having problems. Took it to the dealer found out his clutch packs were failing. When the tech opened up the case of the transmission he knew right away it was not Nissan fluid just by the color. He was asked to show receipts for the fluid he used. Now I do not recall which fluid it was, could have been the Valvoline I am not sure, but Nissan denied his claim because the product used was not approved by Nissan.

Again, you can try to pull the M&M act thing, but if you don't have the money to fix your car? How are you going to have the money to get an attorney? Most of which want what $5k retainer just to get started and IF you win, you get reimbursed. I have yet to personally know of anyone that has won a case. They just settle.

So the question is, why take the chance? The Matic S fluid is not that expensive. In my 1st Gen Titan I used Aisin Matic S fluid. When I would compare it to the Nissan fluid it looked the same in color and consistency. Valvoline Max Life? Is BRIGHT RED and looks totally different.

For myself? Its just not worth the hassle or worry. YES people use the Valvoline with confidence, and many have, BUT if you are under any type of Manufacturer Warranty? Do yourself a favor. Use OEM approved Fluids. Otherwise your gambling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have to chime in on that Moss-Mag act that everyone likes to quote as their saving grace on warranty items. I say this out of experience, not personally my own, but from my Father who Managed Acura Dealerships for many years.

My Dad would get hit by the M&M Act many times. At Acura it was over people not using the Honda Specified Power Steering fluid. People would use some other off the shelf fluid that "met honda's spec" and the systems would leak or fail. In the decade that my Dad worked for Acura? Not one person won a court case. Why? Because of time mainly. In California anyway, to go to court over this takes on average 18-24 months. In the mean time? You are without a car. So what my Dad would do out of good faith, would offer to pay for a part of the repair. This had nothing to do with the manufacturer lawsuit, just something he wanted to so to keep his customers coming back. So the owner still would be 2/3rds of the cost of the repair and they accepted because they needed their car back.

Same thing with Nissan I am sure. One Case I do know of from the Titan forums I was in....Guy had a 1st Gen Titan under warranty, did his own drain n fills on the Transmission and begin having problems. Took it to the dealer found out his clutch packs were failing. When the tech opened up the case of the transmission he knew right away it was not Nissan fluid just by the color. He was asked to show receipts for the fluid he used. Now I do not recall which fluid it was, could have been the Valvoline I am not sure, but Nissan denied his claim because the product used was not approved by Nissan.

Again, you can try to pull the M&M act thing, but if you don't have the money to fix your car? How are you going to have the money to get an attorney? Most of which want what $5k retainer just to get started and IF you win, you get reimbursed. I have yet to personally know of anyone that has won a case. They just settle.

So the question is, why take the chance? The Matic S fluid is not that expensive. In my 1st Gen Titan I used Aisin Matic S fluid. When I would compare it to the Nissan fluid it looked the same in color and consistency. Valvoline Max Life? Is BRIGHT RED and looks totally different.

For myself? Its just not worth the hassle or worry. YES people use the Valvoline with confidence, and many have, BUT if you are under any type of Manufacturer Warranty? Do yourself a favor. Use OEM approved Fluids. Otherwise your gambling.
Thank you, you have just won me back over!
I really don't change fluid that often so why not just stick with what is recommended for the Tranny!
As far as the transfer I agree with Ryan that it is just a simple gear set so I will just leave it for the time being.

Thanks for all the great info guys!

·
Read Only
295 Posts
Thank you, you have just won me back over!
I really don't change fluid that often so why not just stick with what is recommended for the Tranny!
As far as the transfer I agree with Ryan that it is just a simple gear set so I will just leave it for the time being.

Thanks for all the great info guys!
Sounds like a good plan to me 👍

·
Read Only
295 Posts
Anyone looking for SPECIFIC Matic S replacement Fluid, 2 are available from Rock Auto. Aisin Matic S Part # ATFMSV and runs $6.06 per qt. and Beck/Arnley Matic S part #2522000 $6.17 per qt.

These are Specifically for Matic S and not a catch all fluid like Valvoline Max Life. Would be difficult for Nissan to deny a claim if you use one of these Specific Fluids.

In a previous post I posted the Link to Amazon for NISSAN Matic S for 5 qts pack just look a few posts up.

Don't forget to KEEP Your Receipts

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have read(not experienced myself) that if any of the world manufactuer's denies a claim due to using the properly spec'd valvoline fluid ,Valvoline will use the full power of their lawyers and chemists to correct the situation as it would destroy their company if someone like chevrolet was ever successful in a claim that their fluids did not meet the specification's required by that car maker.

·
Read Only
295 Posts
I have read(not experienced myself) that if any of the world manufactuer's denies a claim due to using the properly spec'd valvoline fluid ,Valvoline will use the full power of their lawyers and chemists to correct the situation as it would destroy their company if someone like chevrolet was ever successful in a claim that their fluids did not meet the specification's required by that car maker.
Wishful thinking there. As I mentioned before, never have I seen a M&M act lawsuit actually won for something like this.

Gamble if you like. Its your truck. Oil is cheap, so why take the risk? Just use what its supposed to have and save yourself the grief.

Now if your truck has 200k miles on it and you just use whats cheap and on sale? Then go for it. I am speaking for people UNDER Manufacturer Warranty of some type.

·
Registered
878 Posts
So far valvoline and the other big suppliers have never lost, along with filter manufactuers etc. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but really have never read of a case where a vehicle warranty was denied due to using 3rd party fluids and filters. Only have heard those stories like yours that always start with "I knew a guy" or "my uncle told me", nothing ever in a national media report. By the way,We all know Nissan and the others all buy their lubes from a wholesaler like valvoline anyway.It's really a none issue.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts