Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you get your differential oil replaced at certain intervals? In the maintenance manual, it says to get it replaced every 30,000 miles, but that under premium maintenance. It's not listed in general maintenance. Most of mechanic friends say you never should have to replace your differential oil unless you submerge your truck in water.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Never!?!? I call BS. Gears wear, Oil deteriorates and gets contaminated through the breather with dust and moisture. I don't think anyone here would agree with that mechanic.

Depending on how you use your truck, it needs to be changed. On my Frontier, which was used off road regularly, I changed it based on dates rather than mileage. I don't drive my vehicles much, only about 10 - 12000 miles a year, so I used the length of service method.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I change my differential oil every few years, when I change the gear oil on my manual transmissions. That means for my '98 and 2004 Frontiers, and my 1988 Mazda B2200. It's pretty straightforward, and easier than doing the manual transmission oil because of access.

Big hint: loosen the fill plug BEFORE you remove the drain plug !!!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
How do you drive it?

Rear diff I'd say every 30-45k or so it is always being used. I just changed my front diff oil after 70k/6yrs and it still looked very clean. I don't 4wheel at all really, in the end it is really up to you. Just remember it's not subjected to near the abuse engine oil is, high temps, carbon, fuel.

Yeah make sure you can get the fill plug loose before pulling the drain plug, haha.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It may be overkill, but I did my rear axle at 10,000 miles. The cover was leaking a little anyway and I'm glad I did because there was definitely some metal in the oil. No chunks or anything but very fine particles from the break in process.

·
Premium Member
10,239 Posts
If you tow often then sooner is definately better but I do mine at 50k.
My manual trans was just done for the first time at 100k which was way overdue.

Clint

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
I did my rear diff at 3k on the odometer...then the trans and engine were transitioned at 10k...all w/ Amsoil.

Reactions: Pacer6

·
Registered
2008 Frontier Nismo 4x4
6 Posts
It may be overkill, but I did my rear axle at 10,000 miles. The cover was leaking a little anyway and I'm glad I did because there was definitely some metal in the oil. No chunks or anything but very fine particles from the break in process.
What section of the cover was leaking?
I see an old 'stain' on the cover face plate, on my '08 frontier, & it has 43, 500 miles & have yet to change the diff oils, /am not looking forward to any unpleasant surprises when i do, any day now.
How much oil could the truck 'burn', or use in all those years?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I go by 50k if towing regularly...75k normal driving.

·
Registered
2008 Frontier Nismo 4x4
6 Posts
How do you drive it?

Rear diff I'd say every 30-45k or so it is always being used. I just changed my front diff oil after 70k/6yrs and it still looked very clean. I don't 4wheel at all really, in the end it is really up to you. Just remember it's not subjected to near the abuse engine oil is, high temps, carbon, fuel.

Yeah make sure you can get the fill plug loose before pulling the drain plug, haha.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am in the oil is cheap camp.

Both diffs and Transfer case every 30K or so. Takes less than an hour to do all 3, costs maybe 50 bucks in fluid. Probably overkill but I don't care.

·
Registered
2008 Frontier Nismo 4x4
6 Posts
Maybe 50% short trips under 5 miles round trips in. combination of city and Highway.
The other 50% highway miles Maybe 100 miles round trip.

Nno off roading no four-wheel driving, and only has 43750 miles on it right now after 12 years purchase brand new in 2008

The rest in freeway mil ess y n n t t t t t t t cities.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2013 Pro-4X with 91k miles.
I bought it two years ago with 67K miles, I should have changed all the oils right away since I do not have a history about the truck besides it looking as tho it has been really well cared for!
I just changed my tranny oil, flushed brakes, power steering.
I want to do the rear diff now, what weight oil do I use and RECOMMEND BRAND?
Then transfer case, what weight and RECOMMEND BRAND?
Anything I am missing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i have a lifetime powertrain warranty at my dealer and they say change it at 60k miles in order to keep the warranty.
I was just in the dealership and inquired about getting the diff a drain and fill... they told me i need to do that at 60k and not at 36k, which is my mileage now.... so i was like ok i'll do that in a few more years.... interestingly tho... HOW MUCH DID YOU ALL PAY FOR THIS?? They quoted me something like 2-300 dollars for the rear diff..... which i was shocked how much this was... anyone else have this experience?

·
Registered
84 Posts
At the oil change closest to 25,000 miles, I change the motor oil, transmission fluid (ATF) and the rear gear oil. I usually flus the brake fluid at the same time.....makes for a really fun day. I get to play in the goo and get dirty!!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I wouldn't let a dealership touch my truck unless it was a warranty issue...and even then I'd be leary. Luckily I'm out of warranty so there's no chance a dealer is touching my truck. A differential oil change will cost you $20-40 and an hour of your time max...and that includes going with the more expensive oils. Besides, the guy changing your diff oil at the dealership is not the ASE certified mechanic with years of experience and training...it's the high school dropout who is suffering from a hangover who is working on your truck @ a cost of $100/hr...no thanks.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts