Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! So am a new frontier owner and so far i like! I changed the engine oil and had a transmission flush, truck is a 2018 v6 crewcab sv, first question is how do i know what diff i have? I believe its a c200 but no sure, second question is what diff oil do you guys recommend? Nissan doesn't sell their diff oil individually, according to them they only have as bulk so what brand u guys recommend? I might tow my mustang 2-3 times a year but thats it. Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Do you have 8 or 12 bolts on your diff? That’s the easiest way to figure it out. Why not just select some valvoline , Mobil 1 or your preferred brand in the factory weight?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you considered running Redline Oils for your Frontier? Red Line Synthetic Oil
I used to run it on my 04 Frontier in the manual transmission & rear differential. A bit on the pricey side but I thought it was worth it. Since my '19 Frontier is still under warranty & only has 21k miles on it, I'll wait till I have a few more miles on the '19 before I change over to Redline.
Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I have been using Amsoil in my differentials and transfer case.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Have you considered running Redline Oils for your Frontier? Red Line Synthetic Oil
I used to run it on my 04 Frontier in the manual transmission & rear differential. A bit on the pricey side but I thought it was worth it. Since my '19 Frontier is still under warranty & only has 21k miles on it, I'll wait till I have a few more miles on the '19 before I change over to Redline.
Hope this helps.....
Redline is very good stuff, ran it in my T5 Camaro and it shifted so much smoother. I chose Motul this time around, did both diffs and the transfer case, it's not widely known here but is huge in Europe; especially in the bike scene, mostly all the top racing teams use it. If you have the 8 bolt, its 75w90, the 12 bolt is 75w140. The front is weird, 80w90 which is only semi-synthetic, you can 75w90 perfectly safely and go full synthetic like I did.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have 8 or 12 bolts on your diff? That’s the easiest way to figure it out. Why not just select some valvoline , Mobil 1 or your preferred brand in the factory weight?
Ohh, so if its 8 bolts its a c200 am guessing??! I can check

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Redline is very good stuff, ran it in my T5 Camaro and it shifted so much smoother. I chose Motul this time around, did both diffs and the transfer case, it's not widely known here but is huge in Europe; especially in the bike scene, mostly all the top racing teams use it. If you have the 8 bolt, its 75w90, the 12 bolt is 75w140. The front is weird, 80w90 which is only semi-synthetic, you can 75w90 perfectly safely and go full synthetic like I did.
Ohh ok ill check so 8 bolts its a c200 am guessing right? And takes 75w90 correct? Also how much do i need? 2 quarts maybe?

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Ohh ok ill check so 8 bolts its a c200 am guessing right? And takes 75w90 correct? Also how much do i need? 2 quarts maybe?
I believe two qts is enough, the M226 that I have holds 2 litres but its a bigger diff housing.

·
Premium Member
7,013 Posts
Rear diff GL5 fluids:
C200 = 3.4 pints = 1.7 quarts
M226 = 4.2 pints = 2.1 quarts

Reactions: RyanD1966

·
Registered
119 Posts
All the oil specs are in the manual. My truck has the c200. It takes synthetic 75w90. I use the same in the front, as the oil spec'd doesn't come in a full synthetic. Change them both out every 40k miles. Transfer case gets Dexron 6. I change it every spring as 4wd doesn't get used much after April 1st.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Not using 4wd has nothing to do with lube maintenance in your transfer case, as in 2wd you are still turning input/output shafts and bearings, which still require fresh oil for lubrication and cooling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts