Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I was bored and looking at the drivetrain specs on the Nissan website. I noticed that my model truck (CC SE V6 4X4 6spd) doesn't come with the dreaded active brake limited slip that I've read people complaining about on this forum. What I was wondering is, does that mean that my truck only puts power to one wheel on the axle at a time? Is it a positive or negative that I don't have ABLS? I'm having flashbacks to a friend's old 2wd Ranger (1989 model) that used to only spin one wheel when doing burnouts in the dirt. I only bought my truck a couple months ago, and haven't mustered up the cajones (sp?) to take it off-road yet, so I'm in the dark. Before you call me a dummy I really don't know much at all about how the drive train works past the tranfer case. Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
ABLS sucks and you should be glad you don't have it. You will have the 1 wheel spin thou. To fix that you can install a TT (LSD style) or an ARB (true locker). It will set you back some coin but it is worth it if you are wheeling and get stuck.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I like the ABLS but I don't try to burn out or spin a round in my truck. Sure I would love a front locker or a true LSD in the front but until that day comes the ABLS is the next best thing.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I like ABLS very much. ANd anyone who says it is useless, obviously does not get snow or ice where they live. With brand new tires, there were times on ice where i would spin just trying to creep. With the ABLS, step on the gas and you're moving. Simple as that. It really is unbeatable in winter conditions. As for Offroad, it annoys the **** out of me. Seems I always forget it on when im about to go through a mud hole, and then remember it when im in the mud hole and can't get any tire spin. And you can't turn it off until you take the load off the system(foot off gas) which when in a mud hole can equal stuck. I also have not had a chance to use it now that I don't have WOT restriction. So my opinion may change next time I go wheeling.

My .02

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I like ABLS very much. ANd anyone who says it is useless, obviously does not get snow or ice where they live. With brand new tires, there were times on ice where i would spin just trying to creep. With the ABLS, step on the gas and you're moving. Simple as that. It really is unbeatable in winter conditions. As for Offroad, it annoys the **** out of me. Seems I always forget it on when im about to go through a mud hole, and then remember it when im in the mud hole and can't get any tire spin. And you can't turn it off until you take the load off the system(foot off gas) which when in a mud hole can equal stuck. I also have not had a chance to use it now that I don't have WOT restriction. So my opinion may change next time I go wheeling.

My .02
how are you "turning off" your abls? can you somehow turn it off with uprev because there is no factory option that turns it off. you can do an abs bypass to turn it off, thats how i turn mine off in the very rare instance that i feel it would be best to have it off but for the most part i like it. just curious.

·
Registered
880 Posts
^^Isn't ABLS able to be turned off by turning off VDC? It's been a long time since I have had my truck 100% running properly, so I could be forgetting something. But when I turn VDC off, im pretty sure ABLS isn't doing anything. Correct!?! ABLS=Active Braking Limited Slip, so when I turn off traction control(VDC) what's left for it to do? By turning off VDC im telling it I want wheel spin and no assistance.

Please correct me if im wrong.
As I said, it's been a while since i've driven my truck at 100% fixed. As it is right now I have ABS lights on, and have no ABS, which changes operation of ABLS. So I could be totaly not remembering things properly.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Question; what is the difference between ABLS and what the SE has, VDC with traction control? They both seem the same to me?

·
Registered
880 Posts
^^I don't think there is any difference. If you have VDC, you have ABLS. ABLS is not limited slip, its not to make 2 wheels spin. Its for slowing down the wheel that is spinning to try and gain traction. That is my understanding. Thats why if you don't have VDC turned off, if you spin the wheels you hear the abs going nuts and your RPM get cut back.

If im wrong I hope someone chimes in.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
^^Isn't ABLS able to be turned off by turning off VDC? It's been a long time since I have had my truck 100% running properly, so I could be forgetting something. But when I turn VDC off, im pretty sure ABLS isn't doing anything. Correct!?! ABLS=Active Braking Limited Slip, so when I turn off traction control(VDC) what's left for it to do? By turning off VDC im telling it I want wheel spin and no assistance.

Please correct me if im wrong.
As I said, it's been a while since i've driven my truck at 100% fixed. As it is right now I have ABS lights on, and have no ABS, which changes operation of ABLS. So I could be totaly not remembering things properly.
quote from the manual

"The ABLS system is always ON unless the
system detects brake pad overheating. If
high brake pad temperature is detected, it
will turn OFF, but normal brake function will
continue. ABLS will function even when the
VDC system (if so equipped) is turned OFF"

abls (Active Brake Limited Slip) can't be turned off by any conventional means that comes factory with the truck. turning off the VDC also doesn't get rid of the computer controlled throttle traction control, meaning even with vdc (vehicle dynamics control) off the truck will still cut throttle if your spinning like crazy). the vdc uses reading from wheel speed sensors, steering wheel angle sensor, and g force sensor to decide if the vehicle has the potential to slide sideways or spin and will apply brake force as needed to prevent it. so the vdc is just trying to prevent you from going into a spin and the abls works to keep the most possible traction to all driving wheels

·
Registered
475 Posts
OK, clear as mud LOL

The 2010 SE V6, according to Nissan, doesn't have the ALBS (only Pro-X4 and LE), but it does have VDC with traction control. I was thinking that the "with traction control" part seemed very similar to the ALBS that my truck came without?

EDIT:
OK, now I'm confused. According to the Nissanusa.com website, the SE doesn't have the ABLS. I went out and pulled my window sticker from the glove compartment and it says that my truck does have the ABLS and VDC with traction control. I guess I'll go with the window sticker and that the Nissan website just has a typo.

I am happy since what I really need it for is when we get the couple of times a year ice/snow here in Dallas! It should work good for that!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Colin123: Thanks. I knew I was not remembering things right or something. I thought that the throttle cut wasn't the ABLS, I thought that was the WOT restriction!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wait a minute....so you guys are saying that the 2010 SE V6's (NOT Pro-4X) come with ABLS standard? If so, is there a way to find out for sure? My truck does have VDC and 4-wheel ABS, but the website says that the SE V6's don't have ABLS. (which doesn't really make sense because all the hardware is present to make it work) I really want to find out once and for all if I do or don't have this feature.....I'd call the dealer, but they'll just quote a sales brochure or the website. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
OK, clear as mud LOL

The 2010 SE V6, according to Nissan, doesn't have the ALBS (only Pro-X4 and LE), but it does have VDC with traction control. I was thinking that the "with traction control" part seemed very similar to the ALBS that my truck came without?

EDIT:
OK, now I'm confused. According to the Nissanusa.com website, the SE doesn't have the ABLS. I went out and pulled my window sticker from the glove . I guess I'll go with the window sticker and that the Nissan websitecompartment and it says that my truck does have the ABLS and VDC with traction control just has a typo.

I am happy since what I really need it for is when we get the couple of times a year ice/snow here in Dallas! It should work good for that!
If you have VDC then you should see a rocker on your dash to turn it on and off. Are you AT or MT?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Wait a minute....so you guys are saying that the 2010 SE V6's (NOT Pro-4X) come with ABLS standard? If so, is there a way to find out for sure? My truck does have VDC and 4-wheel ABS, but the website says that the SE V6's don't have ABLS. (which doesn't really make sense because all the hardware is present to make it work) I really want to find out once and for all if I do or don't have this feature.....I'd call the dealer, but they'll just quote a sales brochure or the website. Any ideas?
Look at your window sticker, mine says it has 2 wheel ABLS and VDC. I think it is a messed up on the website. The website says the KC SE V6 has the ABLS, so why wouldn't the CC? Just the XE and SE 4 cyc don't have the ABLS.

BigDog, I have an automatic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I found this searching the internet....it's not from Nissan directly, but it seems reputable....

2010 Nissan Frontier
The midsize Nissan Frontier received several styling updates last year, including a new grille and wheels, and a name change for its off-road package, from "Nismo" to "PRO-4X." The sole exterior change for 2010 is the debut of a new paint color, called Night Armor.

Standard safety and security equipment is added to the 2010 Frontier, including side curtain airbags on all models and stability control for V-6 models.

Other changes include the increased availability of the Frontier's five-speed automatic transmission for XE models, standard Active Brake Limited Slip (the truck's ABS system is used as a virtual limited-slip differential) for all SE and LE V-6 models, and standard hill start assist and hill descent control for all SE and LE models with four-wheel drive and an automatic transmission.

I found it on pickuptrucks.com under "Changes Announced for 2010 Nissan Titan and Frontier Pickup Trucks." Aparently all V6 models come standard with not only VDC, but ABLS as well....yay!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
get on some sort of slick surface turn off the vdc (so that its not a factor) and slide around. if you keep hearing the abs pump and see the slip light going off and on then you have it for sure. but im with everyone else saying that i'm pretty positive that you do have it.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Look at your window sticker, mine says it has 2 wheel ABLS and VDC. I think it is a messed up on the website. The website says the KC SE V6 has the ABLS, so why wouldn't the CC? Just the XE and SE 4 cyc don't have the ABLS.

BigDog, I have an automatic.
I wonder if they made it part of the Value Package?

Do you have a rocker switch on your dash for VDC?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Even with VDC off, the slip light still comes on with wheel spin. But, you shouldn't hear any ABS interfering with it off though.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Even with VDC off, the slip light still comes on with wheel spin. But, you shouldn't hear any ABS interfering with it off though.
the slip light comes on to show that these systems are functioning, with vdc on you will get the slip light when that system is working and when abls is working, with vdc off its only indicating abls function and you will hear the abs pump because thats how abls works

1 - 20 of 21 Posts