Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought new tires I went from the SE stock 265/70-16 to the Nismo 265/75-16. It just dawned on me that my spare tire is still a 265/70, would I have a problems with the abs/slip/electronic nanny if I ever got a flat and had run the smaller tire to get home? The spare is still at full tread depth so maybe it's close enough?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Different sized tires are never a good idea. If you have to run different sized tires, I hope you a 2wd and you put the spare on either the front left or right. If you put the spare on the rear, your ABS/SLIP may freak out. Also, if you are 4wd, then it is always recommended that all the tires be the same size or else you will get some spinning and binding when one doesn't turn quick enough.

You can always pick up a cheap spare in that size to make everything alright.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Your looking at about a 1" size difference which is .5" mounted. Mixing tire sizes is never good permanently but if its just a spare that you're only going to be using in emergencies it will be fine. Mount it up and take a test drive if you really want to be certain. I used my stock tire as a spare for my 33"s plenty of times. Its not advisable but it works.

·
Registered
663 Posts
So based on what i have seen in here, if needed it is recommended to run a smaller spare in the front? I am getting a lift for my truck and will be going to 33's instead of my stock 32's and was wondering if i ever need to use my spare if it will be ok.

Anyone else has more input on this? My current size is 265/75r16 and i will be going to 285/65r18 It will only be for emergencies.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
When I had my 2wd harbody it came with a doughnut spare. Wanting a full size I bought a rim and the shop put on a used tire for free. I was running 27" and the spare was about 30". One day I get a flat on the rear and put the spare on. Thought nothing of it and drove it home: 45 miles. That night I thought something of it. The next day I drove to work, 7 miles, got out and touched the rear diff: HOT. SO hot I could not keep my palm on it. I swapped the spare onto the front in the parking lot. Then fixed the flat a couple of days later. After that I would touch my diff occasional after my commute into work. It was always just slightly warm.

If you take a notice; a doughnut spare is the same size in diameter as the stock tires (or pretty dang close). Just way thinner.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Big O Tires sells used spare tires for $15 plus the cost of mounting them to the wheel. I think that's a better option than trying to carry a mismatched spare. Not sure if they have that chain where you live, but other tire store chains may do something similar.
That's also a good option. If I remember right, the house brant tire I had D.T. mount up was $160 mounted.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have considered buying a cheaper tire in the same size but i have to make sure if fits in the spare tyre carrier under my truck. I am not going to cary it any other way.

Have to go down there and see what size it will fit.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just make sure you run the spare in the front and in 2WD. If you blow a back tire, you'll have to switch front to back but you won't have to worry…

and fix the main tire at the first opportunity.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
I have considered buying a cheaper tire in the same size but i have to make sure if fits in the spare tyre carrier under my truck. I am not going to cary it any other way.

Have to go down there and see what size it will fit.
285/75/16 will fit fine. Some aftermarket exhaust cause issue, but stock exhaust, no worry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts